Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Adjusting Ebo-Jaeger Heaters

I have been unable to adjust Ebo-Jaeger heaters to heat my reef tank properly. The directions included are ineffective and I think inaccurate.

I initially set the temperature dial to 76 degrees. Overnight, the temperature dropped to 72 degrees. I then pulled out the blue knob as best I could - very difficult to do - and set the temperature dial to 72 degrees as the directions instruct, pressed the blue knob back down and plugged the heater in. I couldn't understand how the heater would know of my target of 76, but I tried it anyways. The heater came on briefly and then remained off thereafter, with the temperature remaining at 72.

Then I pulled the blue knob out as far as I could - far enough? - and set the temperature dial to 76, pressed the blue knob back down and plugged the heater in. I got the same results as when I set the temp to 72 degrees via the blue knob procedure. it came on briefly for maybe 5 minutes and shutoff thereafter. I have had the same experience with another Ebo-Jaeger heater I have.

What is the "secret" to pulling the blue knob out sufficiently? I have used my fingers, needlenose pliers and a flat-bladed screwdriver, all with minimal success.

What is the true adjustment procedure, given an innacurate aquarium temperature after initial heater setup?

Thanks.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

How many heater do you have for your 135g?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I have one 250-watt heater, but also a return pump, skimmer pump and 2 power heads. The ambient room temperature is 70 degrees, so the 72.5 degree water is largely I think the product of the pumps. The lights just switched on a few minutes ago.

If the "answer" is not enough heaters, I can tell you that I could put 20 of these on the tank and it wouldn't matter. They just don't seem to respond to the settings like other heaters i have tried, such as the Stealth heater.
Old 12/25/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

I have used Ebo Jager heaters for years and not only have I never had a problem but also I have never had to fiddle with a "blue knob" I simply adjust them by turning. Also, the dial gradiations on the top of the heater are of course not accurate and you do need to measure the actual temp of the water somehow rather than rely on the graduations as marked.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:04 PM
I play with water

Yeah, not sure about that blue knob either as I have always adjusted mine by way of the dial. However, mine have all been off by about 2-3 degrees so to get 78 I dial in 80. Otherwise, they are some of the more reliable ones I've used over the years.

Brett
Old 12/26/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I too use the EJ heaters and have never fiddled with the blue knob,never really knew it was adjustable. For a tank that size you should be running at least 2 if not 3 heaters in different spots(1 in sump,1 in fuge,1 in tank). While one heater may be able to heat that much water it will never be able to maintain a consistent temp.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Many thanks for the replies.

You may be interested in the many comments on Ebo Jaeger heaters at:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews...iew.php?id=289

Many users comments indicate a change in ownership of the brand and that they aren't of the quality they used to be. Down further are "fish kill stories".

As for me, I will use the "Stealth" heaters mainly, and I will use the Ebo's as utility heaters, i.e. in my Brute container when mixing up a 40-gallon water change. But I will have to remember to monitor what temperature the heater actually maintains.

Point is well taken on multiple heaters for maintaining a consistent temperature. I have generally used a heater in the main tank and one in the sump for just that reason.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Adjusting Ebo-Jaeger Heaters

Quote:
Originally posted by bpelkey
I then pulled out the blue knob as best I could - very difficult to do - and set the temperature dial to 72 degrees as the directions instruct, pressed the blue knob back down and plugged the heater in. I couldn't understand how the heater would know of my target of 76, but I tried it anyways.
Thanks.
The idea here is to have temperature dial read more accurately. If your heater is heating to 72 degrees, you're supposed to set the temperature dial first to reflect that fact. Then you turn the dial to the temperature you want.

Having said all that, yeah, the dial doesn't usually read all that accurately out of the box - true for most standard heaters. But once you have the heater turning on at the right temperature, IME Ebo-Jagers will work better and longer than other heaters.