Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Quarantine and Treatment advice plz

Over the summer I purchased a montipora frag. Looked great, encrusting well, good color ect ect.
Well several weeks went by and I noticed that frag had some monti nudis. They moved on to all my beautiful caps in about a week. I was disgusted to even look at the tank, let alone remove the skeletons.

So I moved all the softies to another tank I am curing LR in. I even tried to salvage a piece of cap in that system but the cap eaters made it in the transfer. I also moved a LOT of LR from the ‘frag tank’ to the 180 just to make some room.

The past week I have been working on getting the prop tank back in line- pulling out my dead corals and getting the algae under control. (param spikes from death of corals + broken ceramic shaft for CA reactor pump+ removing all the LR = algae bloom)
I noticed a few other issues going on as I have been givinig attention to the tank...
Not only do I have I have some montipora eating nudibranchs, but zoa eating nudibranchs, red bugs (caused death to a couple acros), and to top it off I see some brownish flatworms eating on an encrusting montipora.
I think the death of a wrasse has allowed these guys to populate to a noticeable level. Looking at my corals color, growth and polyp extension, I would have never thought I had so many parasites.
It wasn’t until I broke down my CA reactor today to find the circulation pump was not working. I think my stonies would have kept growing faster than they were being damaged.

So… I have this prop tank that turned into a main display. It has a Desjardini Sailfin Tang, a pair of maroon clowns w/ H crispa (anemone), skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 PJ cardinals, 1 mandarin, 1 chromis, LOADs of brittle stars (3 large ones), 10-15 scarlet hermits, and a few various snails. As for corals, I have a mix of stonies (LP and SP) along with some softies In the sump I have a lot of LR rubble, a few colorful sponges, feather duters, a mangrove tree and some sun coral…. So far that’s whats left anyway.

I am looking for advice on how to treat this system. Its basically a huge QT / grow-out (about 75 gals in the display and 75 in the sump).
I have the 180 gallon running with over-grown softies and lots of LR.
These are both going to be combined into a 240 that I am working on but I need to be sure anything going in that one will be pest free!

I am considering a few things….
Get a wrasse or 3 to pick on the pests in the QT( monti slugs)
Add some flatworm exit and run carbon (I don’t see em anywhere but on the encrusting monti, so there are very few to suck up)
Get some interceptor from the vet and do dips
Freshwater dip the zoas (only see problems w/ one colony but I’m sure they have eggs)
and manually remove slugs that I can get to.

I decided not to let these things get the best of me.
I am almost to the point of sticking all the corals back in the prop tank for treatment, moving all LR and fish to the 180 and do some rock cooking while I de-bug the corals.

Im kinda stumped where to start. I could toss all my corals and go fallow for a few moths but that seems like such a waste.
I never QT’ed stuff due to the fact this prop system is one big QT / grow out tank for stuff to put in a larger tank. I am scared about adding chemicals to the tank with fish and inverts too.

So im looking for some pointers, advice, comments ect.

I dont need to be reminded about the importance of QT though