Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Powerhead airflow???

My newly establishing tank is a 46 bow with liverock, a few critters, two damsels, and livesand. I have an undertank canister filter, a protein skimmer, and two makijet 1200 powerheads for crossflow. I a.lso have a 17mo. little girl as I type... so please forgive errorsd as I can'tkeep her hands off the keeys... Ok, she's with mom now, so my question is... how much air do I put in the tank via the powerheads? do I turn the air intake up, to create massive tiny bubbles, or should I keep it turned down to keep water flow, but little air intake?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

No need to add addtional air.The flow in the right amount is enough. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

Also i would not use the canister filter if this is a new setup. They can cause more problems then you need.
How much LR and LS?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Master of Funk

Dont use the venturis that come with the power heads. Pointing the flow slightly upwards will provide plenty of oxegenation with out causing a lot of salt creep like the venturi will.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I had this setup dumped on me(to my delight, and hopefully not dismay) from a younger couple that had a new baby. They gave me everything on the contingency that I don't screw it up. I said "No Promises" but here I am. I used and saved EVERY ounce of water, sand, LR, EVERYTHING! I have it now set up in my living room, and the water tests fine, maybe a little low on salt, but other than that it tests normal(both by me, and two reef shops in my area) I guess I would like any advice on saving this. The powerheads seem to aerate so aggressively, that the tiny bubles are everywhere. I can turn the air down, but do I need the air? How much? THANKS!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 10:27 PM
Master of Funk

You dont need the air. The water should not be filled with tiny bubbles...its a fish tank, not champagne bottle. I would remove the air lines from the pumps. The airlines are more useful in freshwater set ups, but can cause issues in salt water.

Keeping the surface of the water rippling will provide enough aeration for the tank.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

You dont need the air or ventura valves, just remove them. Also take a few steps back and start from the beggining.

How long has this tank been filled and running?
Amount of LR and LS?
Type of lighting?
Water source?
You say water test fine but do you have the correct numbers from ammonia to phophate?
Dont reley on your LFS or trust them as they only look out for there own bottom line.
With the high ammonia odor then im guessing that the LR is curing.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

High Ammonia Odor??????? I don't have that!
Old 12/20/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Sorry that was from another thread. You dont need any micro bubbles for your SW tank. Just proper flow,Enough LR and LS , skimmer and test kit. Whene levels drop and stay low then come back and thread "cycle over now what"
Old 12/20/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

You dont need the airate your tank. Water movement is all you need to oxigenize the water. Also as was said before, get rid of canister or any other mechanical filter and get a skimmer. Good luck with your tank.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]

Did I miss something? demonsp said you had high ammonia odor do you?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Demon mentioned that was a different thread.

As mentioned you don't need to airate your water with the powerheads. That is useful for mixing/oxygenating new saltwater but that's all I would use the air lines for.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

I think he is asking how high to set the water in the skimmer.