Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Octopus recirculating new design better...?

we were going to buy the Octopus 110 recirculating but the vedor said that they are out of them... they have the new models coming in... the comparable is the model EXT-PS-120...

the major thing i noticed is the valve on the output is gone... also, the intake of the pump is T-ed as both the recirculating input and the input for new water... it this a more efficient design...?
Old 12/20/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the octopus extreme 160 skimmers before that one. They look like they have made some better improvements.
I have the recirculating nw-150 and am not too happy with its skimmate.
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...---Coming-Soon!/c22_48/p131/Xtreme-160/product_info.html
Old 12/20/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I can't get the link to work.
Google it.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Just bought a new Octopus 110 re-circ from Aquaria Supply and am very impressed w/ the performance on a 75G reef tank.
http://www.aquariasupply.com/category-s/221.htm
Old 12/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by haggarse
Just bought a new Octopus 110 re-circ from Aquaria Supply and am very impressed w/ the performance on a 75G reef tank.
http://www.aquariasupply.com/category-s/221.htm
What do you use as a feed pump?
What other skimmers have you had to compare it with?
I am almost sick of my 150.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

any other opinions on the new models...? we ordered the 110 but since they're out of stock, the vedor decided to take initative and ship the new 120 model instead without consulting with us... the 120 is now on it's way and i don't know if the performance is any better or any worse than the older 110...
Old 12/21/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

the main thing is i don't know how well the design of T-ing off the recirculating input with the input for new water will work instead of having a separate hole dedicated for the input of new water...
Old 12/23/2007, 11:26 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

Quote:
Originally posted by flipteg
any other opinions on the new models...? we ordered the 110 but since they're out of stock, the vedor decided to take initative and ship the new 120 model instead without consulting with us... the 120 is now on it's way and i don't know if the performance is any better or any worse than the older 110...
well, i just unpacked a 120 internal, and a 160 internal,

the 120 is way better than the 110, first off, the body diameter is an inch bigger, it now gets 300lph because they took the elbows out of the pump outlet and laid the pump on it's side to inject the air in at the bottom of the skimmer. i know the recirc is plumed differently, but i think that pump outlet is the same as the internal

also, there is more dwell time in the new design too, so all around well worth the extra money for the newer models.

meshmodded, they should scream....