Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Glass or Acrylic?

I'm going to be purchasing a new tank in the coming months. I've got a space about 41 inches across to fit a new tank in. I currently have a 55 and am looking to upgrade to something larger. This will be put up in my living room. My wife wants me to 'research' before I go out and buy anything.

So, on to my research.

Glass Options:
65g 36x18x24
70g Ultimate 36.5x18.5x25

Acrylic Options:
65g wide 36x24x17
70g tall 36x18x24
95g wide 36x24x25

Obviously, I like the idea of a 95 gallon tank.

But, are there advantages to glass vs acrylic? Are there advantages to acrylic? Are there other options I missing?

This will probably be the last tank I buy at least for the next 10 years so I have to get it right.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12/20/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

glass. acrylic scratches very easy and is hard to remove coraline.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:34 PM
I think I love my tank

You have to be religious about keeping the acrylic clean. Any build up and you are screwed. Acrylic is lighter though but the sizes you are considering...it won't be a factor.
Here is a good thread I saw the other day that helped me make a decision for an upcoming build.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=790161
P.S. your fooling yourself if you think this will be your last tank for 10 yrs.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

IMO anything under 200 gallons should be glass, and anything over acrylic.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:50 PM
I think I love my tank

Why?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Glass...You scratch the acrylic with a little sand, and you'll be sick. Sometimes from a distance the acrylic seems foggy or cloudy. I have had both and would agree with the size issue that reefergeorge brings up. Go Glass 7ogal. Ultimate.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

why would you say tanks over 200 gal should not be glass?
Old 12/21/2007, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by datablitz
why would you say tanks over 200 gal should not be glass?
Because it would take a cherry picker to move it.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

I have read a lot of these threads and the vast majority of people seem to like glass better. Do your research and choose which ever you think is best. However, I am personally an acrylic fan. I prefer the clarity of the acrylic compared to glass and the ease of removing scratches compared to glass . I just want to make one thing clear. Everybody will say that acrylic scratches very easily, and in comparison to glass this is true. But the fact of the matter is that if you are careful (not overly so) you will rarely scratch an acrylic tank. I am incredibly clumsy and impatient and I rarely scratch my tank. And when you do, it is very easy to remove the scratches and the tank looks brand new. Even a deep scratch can be removed in less than 10 minutes and you would never even know it was there. The negative hype that acrylic receives for scratching is very overdone. If you scratch your glass tank, it is there for good. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

So how does one get the scratches out?
Old 12/21/2007, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

I have both glass and acrylic tanks and prefer acrylic all the way. If you put an acrylic and glass tank next to each other the difference in clarity is like night and day. I'm also more paranoid of tank failure than a few removable scratches (which generally is not a problem for me since my tanks are BB). I also prefer the insulating properties of acrylic over glass, but I happen to live where it's below 60 deg. for 9 months out of the year.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

well said jab502,
People really beat up acrylic but its just not like that. I have a 310 acrylic and have yet to scratch it. You do have to becareful or you'll scratch anything. I dont have an issue with removing coraline either, they make a plastic scraper wipes it right off.

(my tank is very old) I have heard that now-a-days they make "scratch free" acrylic? I don't know but if I were truely debating this I would contact the MFG's and do my research. Why? Becuase as an acrylic owner I can see that too much of this forum talk is just wrong. I myself will never go with glass again. Not even on a 10 gal. the view is so clear, it in itself is priceless. I am not a fan of drilling holes in my tanks. So I don't even weigh that option...

good luck with your decision

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

low iron glass is prety much the same as acrylic in apearance imo, and i have acrylic tanks with scratches that had been removed, but it caused the acrylic to look like a fun house mirror, becase it was not done very evenly, causing it to bend light. as far as tank failure, acrylic tanks can fail.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Yes any tank can fail... But the thing I liked most when I was looking was the fact that with acrylic I got a Lifetime warrenty.
This means as long as I own the tank and the MFG is still in buisness. And It didn't matter weather I used my stand or thiers.
Yes this warrenty does come in writeing. And the "salesman" told me that they have upheld it a few times, but not many because poeple just don't have any problems with them. (of course he'd say this)

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Yes any tank can fail... But the thing I liked most when I was looking was the fact that with acrylic I got a Lifetime warrenty.
This means as long as I own the tank and the MFG is still in buisness. And It didn't matter weather I used my stand or thiers.
Yes this warrenty does come in writeing. And the "salesman" told me that they have upheld it a few times, but not many because poeple just don't have any problems with them. (of course he'd say this)

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

opps, double clik sorry
Old 12/21/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: Glass or Acrylic?

Quote:
Originally posted by kcbonsai_matt
I'm going to be purchasing a new tank in the coming months. I've got a space about 41 inches across to fit a new tank in. I currently have a 55 and am looking to upgrade to something larger. This will be put up in my living room. My wife wants me to 'research' before I go out and buy anything.

So, on to my research.

Glass Options:
65g 36x18x24
70g Ultimate 36.5x18.5x25

Acrylic Options:
65g wide 36x24x17
70g tall 36x18x24
95g wide 36x24x25

Obviously, I like the idea of a 95 gallon tank.

But, are there advantages to glass vs acrylic? Are there advantages to acrylic? Are there other options I missing?

This will probably be the last tank I buy at least for the next 10 years so I have to get it right.

Thanks for the help everyone!
I have a 144 Oceanic half circle glass. This is the best tank I have ever owned. Very Nice blooking tank when setup! Seems like at one time only custom shapes were only avail. with Acrylic but not any more!
Old 12/21/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
I have both glass and acrylic tanks and prefer acrylic all the way. If you put an acrylic and glass tank next to each other the difference in clarity is like night and day. I'm also more paranoid of tank failure than a few removable scratches (which generally is not a problem for me since my tanks are BB). I also prefer the insulating properties of acrylic over glass, but I happen to live where it's below 60 deg. for 9 months out of the year.
I have an had Acrylic and Glass I would say the acrylic washes the colors out! And it definitly scratches easily.