Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Movin on up, 29g to 55g build thread

A fellow reefer just gave me an amazing deal on a used 55g AGA and stand, plus a bunch of other goodies. This tank will be my second marine tank, and my first attempt at a full reef. I currently have a 29g AGA that houses two green chromis, one coral beauty angel, one black long spine sea urchin, two sand sifting star fish, one black serpent starfish, and two turbo snails. The only specimen that will be going to the 55g is the coral beauty. The reason for this is that my 55g display will become home to a Volitan. I’m assuming he would have problems with starfish, and I’ve had issues with lions and urchins before. The 29g will be made into a sump for the 55g display.

There are a few key things I want to accomplish with my new (well used but new to me) 55g display:

Drill the back of the tank for a 1” drain pipe
Install glass internal overflow box
Integrate a Durso (or similar) design to my drain to minimize noise
Black background
SSB
Open rockwork to maximize swimming room
If possible a clean powerheadless display

There are also a few key things that I want to accomplish in my sump

Add Cheato to the sump for nutrient export
Refugium lighting over Cheato
In sump skimmer – Though I have no clue what skimmer I should use, suggestions here too?
Aggressive baffling to minimize microbubbles
In sump media reactors/fluidized bed filters

I probably won’t be adding a calcium reactor because I simply can’t afford to buy one of those. Ill just supplement my water change water, or drip kalk. Maybe in later years I can afford a Ca reactor, PH monitor, and C02 system but unfortunately one won’t be going on this tank…at least not right away.

Now obviously I haven’t touched on a big aspect of a reef tank….lighting; that’s simply because I can’t decide. I want to be able to keep Ricordea, Brains, Zoa’s, Hammer, Torch, and possible some clams high in the rockwork. I was thinking a Tek 4x59w HO fixture…what’s everyone’s opinion on this? Should I go MH? Id love to make a MH canopy, but I am really worried about the heat. I was thinking of a 175x2 14000K MH, and use some supplemental T5 HO, or VHO actinics for dawn/dusk. I also love it when corals fluoresce so adding a strong actinic spectrum might make those pigments pop more. I am definitely not buying a chiller. It’ just not an option as far as my budget is concerned. I want to be able to light my reef while spending minimal scratch. What can I say, I’m in college. If you were me, how would you light my reef?

Everyone likes to see a post with a few pics, so Ill start with a few of the coral beauty that will go into the 55.

IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/Corndork2/Build%20Thread/CB3.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for looking, and please post any comments or suggestions as things go along, I’m sure this will be a learning experience.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

Looking forward to the updates! That has to be one of the most beautiful coral beauties I've seen!
Old 12/21/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

I have absolutley no idea how to light this reef. Can anyone offer any educated suggestions?
Old 12/21/2007, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

I have T5 lighting and I love it. The fixtures aren't too expensive, it doesn't give off too much heat, and the bulbs don't have to be replaced as often as MH. Of course, you don't get the shimmer of MH, either. For most LPS and softies, T5 will be more than enough. If you want clams and SPS, though, MH might be a better solution. I haven't tried keeping a clam with T5's.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:34 AM
Killer of Giants

We had a local guy switch his mixed reefs from MH to T5's. I think he did end up losing some sps specimens, but he kept his clams higher up in the rockwork and they did ok. I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others. Just gonna tag along here.

Good luck with the move.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

A little update -- The coral beauty that was going into the system developed Ich and died during treatment once all the xmas hassle is over ill post pics of the summp and return