Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

No substrate

For those of you that are running tanks with no substrate do you notice some what I am guessing flaking of the rock work accumulating? I have virtually no bioload but every week at water change, there is an area that the flow pushes and dumps whatever it picks up. It is about a half to one teaspoon each week and is mostly particles that look like small pcs. of rock. Is it normal for live rock to shed? I also baste at water change and don't usually get much off the rocks into the water column.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

If the rock was never cooked, if very well could be flakes from the rock, sand particles, and other foreign material that has been in the rock ever since it was havested. Should be nothing to worry about. It very well may go away after time as well. Good luck!
tom
Old 12/19/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Eaven with well cooked rock you will still get that somewhat
Old 12/19/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah my rock has been in the tank for almost a year now. Went bare bottom about the end of October. Really took the opportunity then to clean the rocks well after taking them and the sand out. I guess if you think about it some the sand in the ocean is nothing more than reef deterioration. Just never thought about it before going to bare bottom, and now I see this stuff accumulate over a weeks period.
Thank you both for the input.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:52 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

there is always junk falling off of and out of the LR. sometimes you can see piles of sawdust where something is boring a tunnel and outer pieces are always being broken off by life on the reef. I am always amazed at how much dust piles up.

edit: #1 beef against using black sand: the LR will mess it up with dandruff almost immediately.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:03 PM
g l a s s b o x

you are seeing detritus...a bit different than sand. be glad that it is visible and can easily be siphoned out. it happens in all tanks, but with BB and enough flow you can remove it via your skimmer...or let it settle and siphon it out.

fwiw, as time goes by the rock shedding decreases.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"