Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Question Lighting suggestion....<$300!!

Anyone have any suggestions for a rookie on lighting setups for a 36" long tank that is 16" deep? probably 14" once sand is down. Now that my other option went down the tubes...I need the best fixture I can get for right around $300 +/-. I want to grow pretty much anything but not too interested in SPS even though I would like to try a clam sometime, which I know are highlight. I really need some help here, it was supposed to be a christmas gift, i dont think that will be happening anymore. Your decision and reasons why would be great along with stuff that I should stay away from (not enough light, wrong light, bad light, etc.) thanks!

sean
Old 12/19/2007, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

If you wany a clam in the future you want to do atleast this. It is $47 more than you are looking for, but is an excellent choice for what you want to do.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=690
Old 12/19/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

OMG, thats a might bit overkill. Don't forget it doesn't come with bulbs, thats 120$ more too.

Get the same fixture, but with 4 bulbs. That should be enough for that tank.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

well i am doing a 40 gallon breeder so it is very wide, 18", so the 6 bulb fixture might be the way to go.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

The 6 bulb is only 5.85w per gallon on a 40 breeder. I think that light is perfect. The 4 only gives you 3.9.

He said he wants possibility of keeping a clam. 4 bulb is risky. It is more for the bulbs, but this is a piece of equipment that is worth the extra upfront so you don't have to upgrade a bunch of times.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

at that price I would go with a MH pendant. You are not that deep. BTW I have 4 - 96 W PCs (Outer Orbit), 24" deep and I have a Crocea clam that has been thriving on the bottom. I am looking into MH as an option in the near future.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:51 PM
g l a s s b o x

wpg only tells you that, how many watts you are drawing per your volume which is absolutely meaningless. it tells us nothing regarding intensity or PAR.

a 4 bulb tek will be plenty if nutrients are kept low and the tank is ~13in front to back. what is the depth front to back? that will be the decision make for a 4 or 6 bulb unit due to coverage...

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/19/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

watts/gallon means nothing now days. some lighting technologies put out much more par per watt then other technologies. 4 bulbs T5HO would be more then enough and even could be to much if you used something like 4 6500k bulbs with individual reflectors - with that set of bulbs you can bet you would fry everything in the tank unless you only ran it for a few hours a day or had it like 12 inches off the water. If you want to use T5HO just make sure you get individual reflectors and and run the right bulbs for the situation.

Last edited by oct2274; 12/19/2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

tank is 18" front to back and 16" tall...you think the 6 bulb fixture would be too much?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

i have a 30g build im working on right now. the dimensions are almost the same as a 40breeder, (36"x12"x16"). i got one of the new 36" Nova Extreme Pro 6x39w T5HO fixtures from drsfostersmith.com.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=16770

http://www.current-usa.com/nova_extreme_pro

They are still on sale too. $295 plus s/h. brings the total to about $315, so its just above your budget. it seems they are on backorder again (i waited almost 6 weeks from order to delivery). im still putting my tank together but from what ive gathered so far it looks to be a very good fixture. it also comes with bulbs, though id recommend upgrading to ATI, UVL, or Giesemann bulbs eventually. the new fixtures have individually contoured reflectors so although theyre not TRUE individuals, they are a great improvement over the old Novas. with that shallow of a depth <18", the 6 bulb Nova will allow you to keep anything you want (SPS, clams, LPS, softies). it also has active cooling (something the TEK light lacks) and vents over the ballasts.

i started a thread on this fixture if youre interested.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1269547

i think this is the probably the best new fixture for under 300 bucks that youre going to find.

HTH

-Kyle
Old 12/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

i do not believe that 6 bulbs is too much if you choose the right bulbs. as with any lighting you pick bulbs depending on what you are going to keep. The extreme pro fixture that was posted above would work great. Just mix the bulbs depending on what you are going to be keeping and keep the more light needing corals under the brighter bulbs
Old 12/19/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

+1 ^