Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Ocellaris died, lots of worms?

My new ocellaris clownfish died just tonight. He has been dead for about 6hrs or so. When I picked up his dead body I took a close look at him, that is when I noticed a bunch of very very tiny worms or bugs that were crawling all over his dead body.

I was wondering, are these worms/bugs normal inside a marine tank? Or is it because of these worms/bugs that my clownfish died.

For background info: My tank has been running for about 1 1/2 months 65G with 15g sump. Cycled the tank with LR and with 2 yellowtail damselfish that is no longer there. Added 2 ocellaris 2 weeks ago. Added another 2 ocellaris 2 days ago. The new addition died. The ocellaris are all wild caught.

If anyone has any info or help this will be appreciated.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

they are prob. bristle worms. they are great cleanup crew and they were just doing their job. it is normal to have them.

on a side note in the future do not use live animals to cycle your tank. it is cruel to the animal. a piece of table shrimp or flake food will do the same thing.

also 4 clowns won't work in a small tank of your size, only stick with 2 or once they pair up they will kill the remaining.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Could be bristle worms, some other scavenger or some kinda parasite that caused the death. Can you describe the worms and bugs? Or better yet pics (always welcome) if its not too late?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

FYI, if they are bristle worms BE CAREFUL!! You don't want to get stung by them. It hurts and the hurts last a long long time!!! Mike/KD9RG