Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Talking attatching frag to larger rock

I got some loose mushrooms and they have now attached to some smaller pieces of rock (using the Tupperware, rubble and bridal veil method). What is the best way to attach them to the larger pieces of live rock in my tank? Do i need to pull out the larger pieces, let them dry a bit and then attach the smaller rock? Super glue or epoxy? I really don't want to take the live rock out of my tank if I don't have to. ( I like how I have it set up) The pieces that the mushrooms are on are from just a little smaller than a golf ball up to 1" thick and 3" from left to right. What is the best way to go about this! Thanks!

I have a brittle star that likes to knock things over so it needs to be strong
Old 12/18/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

They make an adhesive stuff that you can buy at your LFS that I've used to stick rocks together like you are talking about. Just don't use tons unless you can hide it well. Eventually it will grow over with the tank flora, but it's ugly grey/white until then. The stuff is like silly putty and works wet or dry.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scouncil
They make an adhesive stuff that you can buy at your LFS that I've used to stick rocks together like you are talking about. Just don't use tons unless you can hide it well. Eventually it will grow over with the tank flora, but it's ugly grey/white until then. The stuff is like silly putty and works wet or dry.

Boston Aquq Farms Epoxy online is colored purple to match coralline.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/19/2007, 09:15 AM
Membership Director/TBRC

This is what I do:

Frag > Gel Super Glue > Aquamend (Epoxy) > Gel Super Glue > Rock

I get the Aquamend ready then put some Gel Super Glue and attach it to the frag, hold for 60 secs.

Then I put Gel Super Glue on the other side of the Aquamend and atache it to the rock in the tank, again hold for 60 secs.

hth
Old 12/19/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

why do you use the epoxy if you are just glueing it??? why dont you just glue the frag to the rock???your doing an extra step and spending extra money for no reason.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:50 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Because super glue by itself does not work, for me.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. Your not doing something right then.

Take a dry paper towel and blot the shroom before applying the glue next time.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/19/2007, 03:45 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

I was assuming that the rock that that was going to received the frag was in the tank. I also do SPS.

So you are saying that you just add super glug to a frag and just attache it to a rock???
Old 12/19/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

i put the glue on the frag, usually only SPS and LSP with softies i use vail netting to attach,but the put the frag with the glue in the tank and hold tightly to the rock for bout a min maybe alittle longer but if it doesnt stick you didnt use enought glue, i useually try and smear the glue around the frag on the rock with my finger it help to adhere.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:25 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Superglue Gel will glue just fine, even totally underwater. If YOU can't get it to work, you're not doing something right. Why not try to practice on some scrap liverock? Even if you mess up you can just pop the superglue right off the rock. It's easy, it's reliable, and it WORKS! everytime!
Old 12/19/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

super glueing underwater can be done. If you can take the rock out of the water it is much easier though.

I just put a generous amount of glue on the frag or rock, then quickly put it against the rock I'm attaching it to underwater. Then wiggle it a bit to break the film that forms on the superglue as soon as it hits the water. Then hold for like a minute and a half. It seems to work pretty well for me.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Why not, if you can, just put the coral on the rock and it will spread over the rock holding it down. I did this and they stayed they are all over and then you can pick up the rock and have an easy frag. Thats if it will stay.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

D-D ROWA AquaScape Epoxy or Boston Aqua Farms Colored Reef Epoxy Putty
Old 12/20/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Tagging along on this thread:

I too am looking for a glue that will work underwater to glue rubble mounted frags to larger rocks already in my tank.

Will either of these work? I can get them locally as I live near Premium Aquatics.

Boston Aqua Gel Reef Glue
Zap Gel Instant Adhesive

Or is there a specific glue I can get at WalMart, etc. that will work underwater as well?

Thanks,

Mitch
Old 12/21/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

super glue gel, i get it at the dollar store. much cheeper than all those epoxies and works just the same.