Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

high ph

ok did some research and i as told that ph is supposed to be low at night. well i checked my ph last night and it was at 8.4. Is this bad?

The additive I'm using is the esv b-ionic only using the alk portion because calcium according to my api test kit is at 500ppm and my alk is at 10dkh.

All parameters, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are 0. any insight to this and is it bad?
Old 12/18/2007, 02:14 PM
Reef Chemist

pH 8.4 is fine. How high did it get during the day?

These articles have more:

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm
Old 12/18/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

thank you sir! thats the link "high ph" I was trying to pull up but couldn't find it. lol

thanks again sir!

during the day its at 8.2

edit:
ok while doing research last night, is there any detrimental effects to high ph. most people on reefcentral were having problems with low ph.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:29 PM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

If the pH is not above 8.5, there is no concern.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

You'll notice that it will be low in the AM and at its highest in the PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KD9RG
You'll notice that it will be low in the AM and at its highest in the PM.
Very true...I agree with the statement above! lol

good luck balancing ur PH

Felix -
Old 12/19/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys, but im not too worried as it never goes beyond 8.4 and in the morning its 8.2.

i've narrowed the culprit down to lack of co2. and after reading mr. rhf links it help me reach this conclusion. being that my temp is at 75 and at times 74 and at the end of the day 77 theres way more o2 going into my tank than usual (oxygens solubility in water increases as temp decreases). My tank temps are usually 79-81 depending how humid it gets.

feel free to chime in if i'm heading in the wrong direction. (crossing my fingers i'm not lol)
Old 12/19/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

I am puzzled it is the reverse at night--are you running a kalk or calcium reactor or using buffers at night?
Old 12/19/2007, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Re: high ph

Quote:
Originally posted by trd47
ok did some research and i as told that ph is supposed to be low at night. well i checked my ph last night and it was at 8.4. Is this bad?

The additive I'm using is the esv b-ionic only using the alk portion because calcium according to my api test kit is at 500ppm and my alk is at 10dkh.

All parameters, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are 0. any insight to this and is it bad?
suggest you stop using bionics for the next few days and let the the calcium and and alkalinity into a more stable range.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

capn

to answer your first post no calcium reactor or kalk. just using bionic. yeah thats what was getting me worried. if i remember correctly from bio class respiration for plants occur during the day so that would lead to a decrease of co2 cocentration during the day which would cause an increase in ph and when night comes plants stop respiration, stop taking in co2 and start consuming o2 which should cause a decrease in ph.

oh well mr. rhf say its ok.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trd47
capn

to answer your first post no calcium reactor or kalk. just using bionic. yeah thats what was getting me worried. if i remember correctly from bio class respiration for plants occur during the day so that would lead to a decrease of co2 cocentration during the day which would cause an increase in ph and when night comes plants stop respiration, stop taking in co2 and start consuming o2 which should cause a decrease in ph.

oh well mr. rhf say its ok.
yeah--its good to have king neptune back among us

At night, are you opening a window or something that might decrease the co2 levels in the house?

I am here to learn as well as to help others so its worth asking the other chemistry experts here-----

is it not unusual to have a higher pH at night then in the daytime, and what might cause that?