Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb coral light acclimation

the other day i finally got my new light (250w HQI, 2 65w PC, moonlights) i had just PCs before. so i dropped al the corals to the bottom and away from the direct path of the HQI. my question is, how long should i leave the corals on the bottom before i start to move them back up onto the rock work?

few days?
week or 2?

thanks for the help.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

You have much more experience than I do, so I'm not sure if I'm right. But, I had posted something in one of the LPS threads asking a questions about moving things around. It was suggested by someone not to move them more than 1-2 inches per day when acclimating as they adjust fast and it could shock them. Again, I'm not sure how right this is, but that was information I was given about a week ago. Hope it helps and good luck.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 12/17/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

you can either accomplish this by using layers of window screen [taking one off each day] or by reducing your light duration to one hour and then increasing it each day, by an hour, until you're at the target duration.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:32 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Also raising the lights will give you the option of putting them on the rock. Then lower the lights slowly every couple of days
Old 12/17/2007, 10:08 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Probably the easiest method, if you have the materials, would be to put egg create and glass on top of the tank to block some of the light. Like Al suggested placing the lights a little higher would help as well. This way you don't have to remember what liked to be where and don't have to stress the corals out more by moving them. You'll notice a lot of the corals will use there energy to slime over to protect themselves from your dirty hands.(they are germaphobes like me and don't like to be touched)

Just be careful not to completely cut off gas exchange at the top of the tank, which will effect your water chemistry, and be careful not to have anything melt or burn.

Good luck.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

No need to move any corals. Just reduce the time the HQI's are on. Gradually increase over 2 weeks.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:44 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

mspad, I would disagree with that. The intensity of the light is the trouble. If you put a coral under too much light you can see it visibly retract it's polyps and behave differently then it would if it was happy.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

mspad- doesnt sound like a bad idea if i were switching to a stronger bulb, but i went from around 100watts of PC, to 380watts of HQI and PC. i think any of my corals near the center would have freaked out.

i was goin to do the window screen way but then decided to reaquascape so i just put the corals on the bottom. i did only have the HQI on for a few hours the first day and am increassing the time its on. i will end up having it on about 8hours out of the day, with atinics commin on an hour before and turuning off an hour later.
so for no they are on the bottom (and seem happy) until i move the rock round.