Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

return probs

I just set up my new 75RR, everything is well except my return, all my return water is just shooting out the siphon break on the return pipe? Can I just cover it, and make my own?

Last edited by reefaluva; 12/17/2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

I don't have a siphon break in my return line so I cannot tell you how to fix your problem. I can tell you that if you eliminate your siphon break like I did you will have to have one of your return nozzles high enough in the water column to act as a siphon break when the water gets to that level. The capacity of your sump will determine how high the siphon should be in the water column to safely run this way.
-----got one of my hobbies covered-----
Old 12/17/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! Yea i did not get to make the siphon break it came with the tank etc, I like your idea) Think I will just silicone the hole)
Old 12/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Team RC Member

CAn you post a pic of the return line in question? Where the syphon break is? Is water only coming out the syphon hole or just annoyingly so?

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/17/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

lol cant figure out how to post in thread yet but there is some in my gallery. thanks) It is just loud and makes spraying sound. The 2 loc-lines are getting flow also but would like them to have more) The siphon is located right under the bend in the elbow.

Last edited by reefaluva; 12/17/2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Well I siliconed it.. Will see how it works in the morning, seemed to be the best way to go=)
Old 12/18/2007, 09:34 AM
Team RC Member

[photopost] that should help with posting in threads

As for the syphon hole, the last return I built, mine did the same thing, had it at just the right spot to cause that nice little spraying/splashing sound. I did just what you did, siliconed it shut, but then i drilled a new syphon hole a little lower. You do want to have that anti-syphon hole so if ya gotta drill a new one, I highly recommend it.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

It sounds like the hole is too high. Put it on the side of the line and inch or two below the water line.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Well silicone worked like a champ. I just had to put one of the loc lines towards the surface of the water. It is sooo silent now, might drill another hole but as long as that loc line does not get clogged I am good to go. Thanks for the help once again guys)