Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Refugium Algae

What type of Macro Algae does everyone use in thier fuge's? And what type of substrate?
Old 12/17/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

i use cheatomorpha and 5" of live sand.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

chaeto and 4-6" dsb
Old 12/17/2007, 03:04 PM
Team RC Member

Cheatomorpha. No roots, so it's safe if it gets loose. Harder to grow than caulerpa, needs flow and light, but much nicer.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Cheato is great! It removes much of my excess nutrients from my main tank.
Plenty of people selling on the for sale forum.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanx, only reason i asked is cos i have no macro in my 30 gallon fuge, and was gonna put a bunch of my cheato in there, i just wanted to see if any one used Halimeda in thier fuge's. i dont like it because whene it dies off it leaves a layer of dead white "leaf's" on my sand bed, and i was also told it uses alot of calcium carbinate, i also have smooth leaf kelp, very hard to find i got mine as a "hitch hiker" on an order of tonga live rock. and also i have a mangrove plant. is cheato the most benificial macro algae?...oh and i was also thinking of getting rid of my crushed coral and replacing it with live sand, and on another post i was told to get rid of my fiji refugium mud. is the mud that bad to have in a fuge? its in a seperate area of my fuge taking up maybe 1/4 of my 55. sorry for such the long post and thanx again
Old 12/17/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

I like chaetomorpha because it requires no substrate. An upward current keeps it floating at the surface near the light. By removing the chaetomorpha and placing it in a bucket, the refugium sump is easily cleaned.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I've placed Cheato in my return sump with a 5100K bulb (melev's reef.com) but it's not growing very much. I don't have any coral rubble or DSB in the plexiglass cube (10 inch X 10 inch) at this point. Do I need to run either or am I just fine with the Cheato floating. I'm gettin lots of upward water movement so far
Old 12/17/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Chaeto here with a DSB.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

when i first got my hunk of cheato "freebie from foster and smith one time i went there" at that time i had very little light over it and it grew slow at first, then after a while started going crazy, i now have a monster hunk taking up a third of my 55 gallon fuge and i'm constantly ripping hunks off and throwing out, "after i tear it apart in a bucket of salt water and shake it so i can use the little star fish to feed to my wrasse and pseodochromis", oh yea i am only running a 15 watt T-8 daylight, but next to it i am running a 65 watt PC dual daylight actinic for my smooth leaf kelp, oh and to finally answer your question my friend had sum cheato in a bare sump and had to prune once a week also, he uses 2, 18 watt PC
Old 12/17/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Yeah Cheato and live rock is what i have and some live sand