Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

The Blue Tang?

Has any one heard of this store or have any information on it i believe it is soon to be opening but not sure
its on ulmerton off belcher

not sure if there opening or closed down ?

i have never heard of anyone talking about this store so any info would be thankful
Old 12/15/2007, 07:18 PM
Moved down

They were just an aquarium service and i noticed the other day that they are opening a retail store. Not sure if its open or if not when it will be.

Take a step backward and do it right.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

i went there 2 days ago and they were not open but had hours and a # on the door
oo ill have my girl get the # she goes by there every day

but it says there goin to sell tropical and marine fishes and stuff so thats why i am interested
but does look like a small store
guess we will have to wait and see
Old 12/15/2007, 08:36 PM
Frag it!

Soon there is going to be more fish stores than gas stations... geez!
Old 12/15/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

yes i would like a fillup on #2 and also a frag of that monti cap and throw in a gatoraid while you at it
Old 12/15/2007, 08:54 PM
Underground Art Studio

Yes - they have been open for some time now but are not very good at having a store front. About 6 months ago I called and left a message - never returned call. A couple of months ago I stopped in and they weren't open - this was in the middle of a Saturday. Then I tried again, they were "unlocked" and I walked all around the store - they have lots of tanks in the back and lots of equipment. I have to say they were lucky I'm a trusting person, I was in their store walked all around looked at everything spent a good 15 - 20 minutes. No one was there watching the store - doors unlocked they stated they were open - all this is after the "Grand Opening" which has been going on for a few months now. So - not sure if they really are ready for a store front. I live not far from the store and that's the reason it was easy for me to stop in and check.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

yea i was ther at like 230 on a wed. and they were shut down tight and didnt look liek anything was in the store through the windo just junk laying around
my G/f works right behind the sonic right there
Old 12/15/2007, 09:07 PM
Underground Art Studio

Yep - I know where you're talking about. To bad they aren't better at running a store. They had all the "Grand Opening" signs up so I thought they were really going to have a store - NOT. They really have a great location - OK at least a lot of traffic - LOL.

Have you been at the store that is located off Starkey just South of Ulmerton? They sell freshwater and saltwater - nasty tanks for the corals. They don't have a clue how to take care of them - I believe they have PC's over all the corals . I have a freshwater tank also so that's the reason I stop in - if you get in when they first arrive you might get them still health .
Old 12/15/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

i havent tried that one i try to avoid ulmerton like the plague i really do not like that road but if i find myself up that way ill have to stop in and take a look i still need to check the store out on 4th here
Old 12/16/2007, 07:43 AM
Frag it!

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist

Have you been at the store that is located off Starkey just South of Ulmerton? They sell freshwater and saltwater - nasty tanks for the corals. They don't have a clue how to take care of them - I believe they have PC's over all the corals . I have a freshwater tank also so that's the reason I stop in - if you get in when they first arrive you might get them still health .
I went in there when they first opened. It's the same one that was on Belcher just North of Ulmerton. poor poor quality. The person that was there didn't have a clue what anything was or how to take care of it.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:01 AM
Underground Art Studio

Yeah - it's a shame and I don't have a clue how they are still in business. Of course I give them $ because they have freshwater items - but I would never purchase anything from their saltwater tanks - I agree very poor quality. The thing is, not only do they not know how to take care of "easy care corals" but they get in very hard to care for corals - like sea pens, gonapora etc. I hate it everytime I go in, but they do have nice freshwater fish and items. I just try to walk fast pass the saltwater corals/fish and into the freshwater area.

Bottom line - they are very nice people and know a lot about freshwater fish, but they are not saltwater people at all.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I have found that with most not all, but most stores that carry both saltwater and freshwater. They seem to know alot about one but little about the other. JMO I personally would rather go to a store that only carry the one I am looking for.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/16/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

i stopped at the blue tang last weekend. it was closed in the middle of the day too. i called the number and it just rang. no voicemail, nothing. i've never been to the on on starkey. where is that one? in the same area as the DMV?
Old 12/16/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

That place has been there for 5 years at least.
I used to live close by, and it NEVER appeared open anytime i went by there. I think they just use the storefront to launder money....lol!
Old 12/16/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

ther is a new place that just does salt on 4th out towards gandy i think it was called st. pete marine something or other i thought the place was pretty nice my wife did not think so though
Old 12/16/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

I went by the store on 4th yesterday and was not impressed. They had a huge black tang that was covered in ick and was extremely bloated.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

i went to one in the largo mall shopping center today. they have, i think a 90 gallon, with an arrowana in it that's at least 20"+ long. poor thing.