Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

sand dollar care

Are these interesting guys easy to keep? Can they even live in a reef tank? anyone keep em? I can't find much info online. thanks
Old 12/14/2007, 11:58 PM
O|||||||O

We catch them all the time down here, although I have never kept one in my tanks, a few friends have put them in their tanks and they never saw them again.

They will pretty much eat anything in your sand and then slowly starve to death.

I would personally pass on them........

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

In a display frame with discription of which beach you found it on.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

I have kept them in my sump for long perods of time. Probably a year then I removed them for a different set up plan. They come out, sift the sand. They dont harm anything and they dont strip your sand bed as Ive seen claimed. Very cool addition if you ask me.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:01 AM
Huge Member

Aren't they cold water dwelling though?

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/15/2007, 04:00 AM
Bee Wrangler

I had several show up in my old 180g I had when I lived in Florida. I used Gulf of Mexico sand. About 8 of them showed up even though I sifted the sand really well. Must've been larvae or eggs or however sand dollars start out. They grew all the way up until I took the 180g down, over 3 years.

Beautiful creatures. I wouldn't suggest trying to keep them tho. I had the same sand they lived in in the wild and they somehow survived.

I'll try to dig up the photos of them. They were purple-grey and grew to about 2.5 inches in diameter in a little over 3 years.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Sweet, xcreonx. That is awsome to hear that. I've watched them on the coast, but think they are to delicate for a closed system. Like the sand sifting stars, unless we make or add the right foods these critters should be left in the oceans.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I ended up buying one, it was $15 and I figured better die in my tank then at the stores. I don't normally take this approach but it's been hard to find info on them and as I said they were already there, I would not order something like this.

I have tons of life in my sand bed so you never know.. The one I got is indo.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member