Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Burrow trouble with Pseudosquilla ciliata

Hello Everyone,
As you may know from my previous posts, I have had a Pseudosquilla ciliata for two weeks now. I had divided the tank to isolate him while he established his burrow in the PVC provided. After a week of him getting used to his new home, I increased the sand bed to cover the PVC and added about three inches of sand above the pipe. Since adding the sand, he seems to be having trouble maintaining the entrances. The sand is very loose, and instead of building vertical tubes as entrances he has a big pit ( think of the Empire Strikes Back, with Luke hanging above the giant sand worm at the bottom of a pit in the sand). I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add "L" shaped PVC two the ends of his burrow to provide stability? Has anyone tried that? Good idea, or bad idea?

Thanks,
Jay

P.S. here is a link to a photo of the big L. maculata that died after a week and a half in my tank.

http://www.pbase.com/jay_staples/image/89896450
Old 12/14/2007, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

As I've written before, P.c cannot stabilize loose, clean sand. They can only dig a burrow in muddy sand with texture or sand held together by worm or root beds. The sysem you are trying works for Lysiosquillids, but not for burrowers that cannot make copious amounts of mucus.

Roy
Old 12/17/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Roy,
that is sort of what I thought. What do you think of adding "L" shaped PVC to the ends of the pipe to provide a stable entrance and exit?
Old 12/17/2007, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

P. ciliata usually have a burrow entrance that is closer to 45 degrees so I would use a 45 degree elbow. Alternatively, in my lab we use gray pvc electrical conduit. It comes in various diameters and is pre-bent to 90 degrees. We cut off the straight ends and bury the curved tube in the sand. It looks better if you cut the burrow ends flush with the sand. It makes a great u shaped burrow.

Roy

Last edited by Gonodactylus; 12/17/2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Perfect! Thanks again.

Jay
Old 12/18/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Hello Roy,
I wanted to let you know that I gave him a burrow with 45 degree elbows last night. He spent a couple of hours clearing it out, and seems to be feeling right at home.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Jay