Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 05:45 PM
SEAS President

Rebuilding The Seas - the start of the plan

Currently, the SEAS club has fallen apart. I do not know the reasons why this has happened, but I am going to put forth my best effort to return the club to its former state. It will take some time and patience, to accomplish our goals. I have recently received some needed information to do so. Here is the plan I have come up with to get things started:

Get theseas.org website back online, and updated. The hosting has been purchased, and I am waiting for the domain name to be pointed at the new host server. Once this is completed, I will be able to start working on the site.

Secondly on my agenda of things to do will be to put together new member packets, and mail them to all members. I know not everyone is new to the seas, but this way, I will know everyone got one. Included in these packets will also be new membership cards, with discount information contained on the back of the card.

Third, we need to start the monthly meetings again. I am willing to host the first at my house. It would be nice if we can get a few volunteers to host a meeting at their house.

The SEAS staff is also currently planning a coral fragging demonstration. This will take place at Midwest Exotic Imports. Fish Wilson has been kind enough to once again lend us his facility for the event. The time and date of this event will be announced as soon as it is definate. Date of the event will depend mainly on how soon we can get the corals for the demonstration. We are shooting for sometime in January.

I had talked about possibly charging a cover charge for NON members at future events. This will NOT happen. SEAS events will always be open to the public, free of charge, as they have in the past. There will be certain benefits however, that will only be available to SEAS members, also, as it has been done in the past.

I want to thank you for the time you have taken to read this, and I strongly feel that together, we can bring the club back to its former glory. We are all here for the same reason, the reason being that we all have a passion for the saltwater hobby. There is no reason why we can’t reorganize the club, and enjoy all the benefits and friendship it has to offer. The fighting needs to stop, and all of us need to work together towards the main goal, Reorganizing The Seas

Jason
Old 12/12/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Like I stated, put me down to host the second meeting
Any help I can be getting things rolling please let me know> sounds like a great start to me.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Sounds Great and have been waiting for a meeting like this to be annouced. i will be there and would like to join the SEA"S
Old 12/12/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Jason, have you thought about having business cards made up using your club logo with your clubs web address? Even if the web site is not up yet, now may be a good time to have them made so that once the site is up and running you would be able put the cards into circulation.
Old 12/12/2007, 05:04 PM
SEAS President

Great idea, and yes, this has been talked about, and Im sure most of the LFS'es in our area would gladly put them out for us. My only hold up on the cards was that I did not have the SEAS logo, which I am now in posession of. Reef-n-Chicago, I have you down for meeting #2. I will have to look over the club bylaws again, but I beleive meetings were held the first saturday of each month, unless it fell on a holiday, then it would be rescheduled for the following saturday. According to John Kelly, the host of the meeting usually provided a main course of some kind, and those who attend bring side dishes, or something on that nature. I do not want anyone hosting a meeting to feel obligated to provide a full meal however, so we can re-structure this part of the meetings if we need to, where everyone brings snack type items instead of having a full blown meal. On the new site, I will also have a calendar of events, and meetings to lessen any confusion about dates and times. Today, I have been calling most of the LFS'es, and calling the previous stores that honored the SEAS 10% discount, so I can update the list. As before, all the stores participating in the 10% off will be listed on the back of the membership cards. There were quite a few stores on the previous cards that are still willing to give the discount, and some I will have to get back to to talk to the "right person". Once the list is compiled, it will also be posted on the website. On another note, While I was calling the previous stores that offered the discount, I called Exotic Tropicals in Rogers Arkansas, rumored to be closed. They are still open for business. James, the owner was not in the store at the time I called, so I was unable to verify if the discount is still offered. I will be calling back tomorrow. So far, I have one "I need to give it some thought", three I have to call back, and three that agree to the 10% off. It is slow, but I am making headway. I am also going to call petland to see if they are willing to participate. I need to know all the stores that will participate before I can make the new SEAS membership cards. Members will be issued a new card yearly, and the list will have to be verefied yearly on the 10% discounts. Thats about all I have for now. Thanks

Jason
Old 12/13/2007, 02:09 PM
SEAS President

Hidden among the stuff I got from John Kelly, I found a template for a SEAS handout card, basically describing the club, and the website info. I have already run off about 50 cards, and I also found a sign for the LFS'es to put up about our club. I have also printed a couple of these. I am still going to wait until theseas.org is back online before these get distributed. I don't want perspective members to think the club is not around anymore with a dead URL to the website. But, progress is being made. Thanks for reading.

Jason
Old 12/13/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Awesome!!!!
Jason, I will p or call you soon...
Regards Jordan
Old 12/13/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

That's PM
Old 12/13/2007, 03:21 PM
SEAS President

Glad you clarified that,... I thought maybe you needed a restroom break.. lol

Jason
Old 12/16/2007, 04:20 PM
SEAS President

Ok, http://www.theseas.org is back online. I have a LOT of work to do to the site, and it is pretty basic now. In the next couple of weeks, the site may go up and down due to updates. Thanks

Jason
Old 12/16/2007, 04:33 PM