Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

OT: Need advice on Video Game System for the Kiddies

My kids have been playing my old Sega Genesis system for the last couple years. They don't seem to mind it too much, other than it's slow, picture stinks by today's standards and of course you can not get any of the new games for it.

I'm strongly considering getting them a new system for Christmas and can't decided which to get. I am leaning towards a PS2 as it's not too expensive and there are lots of games for younger kids (8 & 5 years old). My other thought is a Wii as I've heard they are tons of fun and have more kid friendly games as compared to an XBox or PS3. Biggest problem with a Wii, is you can't find one in a store to save your life.

Some of my considering factors:
~ Kid friendly games
~ More than 2 players is a plus (obviously this may require more hardware and only work for certain games).

Any thoughts?? All help and advise is much appreciated.

My son said I should have been a potatoe bug farmer.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I may be able to help you out with a wii maybe i normally get them and throw them on ebay. pm if you interested?

but deff get a wii or a ps2.
And a big no no is exposing you kids to xbox live untill there older at least.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:13 PM
...this is only a test...

check craigslist for the wii. i saw a few on there
Old 12/09/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

For young kids I'd say go with the WII... as much as I love the Xbox 360
Old 12/09/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Agreed, the Wii is where its at Chris. Tough to find, but well worth it
Old 12/09/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

I'm 24 and love my wii. There is alot of games that are suitable for kids. My favorite is probably the carnival games. They are hard to find. I have a friend that works at Circuit City that kept one to the side for a couple hours for me last January. If you know someone that works for one of the chain stores, they may know when they're going to get a shipment in, or even put one to the side for a few hours. Good Luck.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I love x box! But for kids, definitely the Wii. It has games that allows more physical activity that others.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I'd say go with a Wii if you can get one. Nintendo is a more kid friendly system. The Wii also encourages (well forces) you to move more. I know it's not a lot of exercise, but it's also not just sitting around motionless. The Wii also has a few games that are somewhat "educational" . The PS2/3 a Xbox are better looking, but the Wii is still pretty good looking. One downside is that the remotes cost so much. It only comes with 1 so you need to buy a least 1 more. This is all just my opinion of course.

suppressivefire,
Where do you get them from? I'm going to try doing that if I can find any. I'm in Endicott btw so I won't be tromping on your territory
Old 12/09/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Hi Chris, in case it wasn't clear yet:

for kids definitely the Wii. We have one and the kids love it.

We move the furniture out of the way and bought a hold down strap for the TV . The floor has too much bounce...

The games are upward compatible so older GameCube games will work, you just need the older style controllers as well.
It also comes with a web browser (opera), and some online content like demos that can be downloaded.

I love my PS3 more , but other than maybe ridge racer, there is not much that is appropriate for kids.

Waffleman
Old 12/10/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

I would definately agree with almost everyone the wii is the way to go. personally I am an xbox guy because I like the shooters like splinter cell. I actually know people selling used ps2 systems and xbox as well if you are interested they are alott less than in the stores.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:25 AM
Wish coral grew faster

If you get a PS3 it doubles as a blue ray player
Old 12/10/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Chris you have PM
Old 12/10/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

my kids are older ( youngest is 17) but we and they all enjoy wii alot.We have the others but when they have friends over the wii is the one that is played.It really can be funny just to watch they play esp if they are boxing or something like that.....Scott
Old 12/10/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I'm 22, love the wii, my cousins are 7,12,15 they love it too.

"Wii would like to play"
Old 12/10/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

suppressivefire

sent PM
Old 12/10/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

I'll throw in my two nerdy cents. The Wii is a much more kid friendly system. Nintendo was actually built around the idea that gaming should be fun for the whole family not a solo activity. Due to this way of thinking there are many games that are 1-4 players. The Xbox also has quite a few 4 player games while Sony was built more for the older gamers (early 20s to late 30s). It has more gory and adult related games that are one player. I don’t own a PS3 or 360, but from what I understand is that PS3 shifted more to 4 player support but is still very lacking.

Like belgian_waffleman said, you can play any game cube game on the Wii but you do need to get the older controller. There is a huge library of old Game Cube games that could keep them happy for a long time. With the PS3 and Xbox 360 its kind of hit and miss, with 360 doing a better job at backwards capabilities. I guess as I think about it PS2 has a large selection of games that would be good for younger kids as well.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Ive got a wii and everyone loves it....at family parties my grandfather and my 7 year old cousin will be bowling together. Very easy to use and fun for everyone. Id say go with the wii you wont regret it.
Old 12/10/2007, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

the Wii is the way to go, and it getts them off the couch and up and moving. deff the best game system for kids and adults...i love playing it..
Old 12/10/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I would say if you are still undecided go to someone in heres house that has a wii and play it.I think you will enjoy it but still always good idea to try it out if at all possible.....scott
Old 12/10/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all. I knew I'd get good feedback here!!

I've pretty much decided that a Wii is the way I want to go. Just need to find one. My plan is to hit the popular stores in the AM before work, in hopes of catching one as it comes off the truck.

Again, thanks!!

My son said I should have been a potatoe bug farmer.
Old 12/10/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I was talking to a kid at target (employee) the other day he said shipments come in thurs call at 7 am to see if they are going to be there and if they are hall a** there haha
Old 12/10/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

I have a wii, brand new unopened, I bought it thinking I may use it but it has been in the box for a month now, I just dont have the time. I was also thinking ebay. Anyone wanna buy it? I know this is RC and oT but it comes with 5 sports games.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

I have a wii and it's definately the best, I'd say go for it. It's really easy and anyone can figure out how to use it, plus there's tons of good games. And you can definately burn some calories on it too, even I'm sore after hours of tennis
Old 12/10/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Controlguy, yes.

PM sent.
Dave
Old 12/10/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

My brother just got back from Iraq. He had a couple of his buddies come down from drum and we played the Wii. The next morning all of them were moaning about how sore their arms were. I picked on them saying you guys come back from Iraq and get your butts handed to you by a Wii..... They threatened to kick my butt and I let it go. But seriously when you first start playing take it easy. It will have you use muscles you don’t normally use and will make you feel really bad about yourself the next morning.