Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Selcon VS. Selco

I dont know if this is the right forum, but I wanted to know what the difference between Selcon and Selco is. I know that Selcon is emulsified Selco, but what effect does that have on enriching food? I want to use one of these products to enrich rotifers and baby brine, as well as frozen food for my broodstock (of clowns and bangaii cardinals). Selco seems to be cheaper; 1 litre for about $50, as opposed to a few ounces of Selcon for $10 or $15. So...advantages/disadvantages of them?
Old 12/08/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

isnt one a vitamin, mineral formula and the other a lipid fatty acid formula? I think you need to use both for best results. But if you have to go with one pick the lipid fatty acid one. I believe selcon is the one that is lipid and the most important.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I guess what i really mean is a functional difference; does it affect absorption by the food, is one or the other more disruptive to protein skimming, does one break down faster etc.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:36 AM
Roughneck

Selcon kills my skimmer for about half an hour, then it is fine. I don't know about the breaking down.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/13/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

There is a difference? I thought nobody knew how to spell it. haha guess i am tagging along to find out as well.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Location: Ottawa, Canada The Great White North...actually its pretty green
Selcon will make you skimmer go crazy for a bit, I try to turn mine off when using Selcon. Im not aware of how fast it breaks down. but if you do get Selcon, its reccomended to keep it in the fridge..(reccomended by A. Calfo I think ?) I kept mine in the fridge and 4 months later it still looks as new..
Old 12/13/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

It kills the skimmer and all foam for about an hour. I've never seen it make a skimmer crazy before.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

I may have mis-phrased that, the skimmer doenst really go crazy, but if left on the skimmer makes a crazy amount of micro bubbles that goes back into the tank.......damn micro-bubbles, they drive me crazy !
Old 12/13/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Selcon makes the foam in my skimmer drop a few inches for about an hour.
I also keep mine in the fridge, but if you call American marine they don't recommend the fridge, but a cool dry place.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

The fridge, or a cool dry place...i'd say there's a big difference...

Hmm, who to believe ? I'm confused again (nothing new there)....

Ahh, I'm sticking with the fridge...I think ??

A poll on who keeps it where, could be interesting ?
Old 12/14/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

My original understanding was that Selcon was made from Selco, but now I'm not so sure. SELCO stands for: Self-Emulsifying Lipid Concentrate. It is made in Europe by INVE and comes in nitrogen filled pouches. Once opened, it is only fresh for a short time, even under refrigeration. I order it four times a year and dispose of any that is left over when the new batch arrives. My concern is that *if* Selcon is based on Selco, then how can it be any good after sitting around at room temperature? If it doesn't contain HUFAs then it can't really be compared to Selco.

Jay Hemdal
Old 12/15/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal
If it doesn't contain HUFAs then it can't really be compared to Selco.

Jay Hemdal
If hufa is highly unsaturated fatty acids, marine lipids selcon says it has 200 mg.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I may have mis-phrased that, the skimmer doenst really go crazy, but if left on the skimmer makes a crazy amount of micro bubbles that goes back into the tank.......damn micro-bubbles, they drive me crazy !
The oils in Selcon will afffect the surface tension of the water. That affects skimmer performance, at least temporarily. The bubbles end up bursting before they can reach a density high enough to make it into the skim cup. That will also cause the skimmer to release a greater than normal amount of microbubbles.
BTW FWIW I keep my Selcon in the fridge. 10 months later it still looks and smells the same as when I got it. I also keep my flake food in there.

Last edited by Grunt007; 12/15/2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The oils in Selcon will afffect the surface tension of the water
This is the main reason why I think this stuff is a waste of money. It's floating around the tank intsead of being in the food that the fish eat.
I've tried it more than once over the years & the food just doesn't soak it up. Flake & Freeze dried food will soak it up but they are inferior foods to frozen & fresh seafood.

Most of the Selcon just leaches into the water. There's more than enough vitamins, ect. in quality commercial foods & fresh seafood.

My 15 year old purple tang doesn't need Selcon & I've had good success with many fish without using a drop of this stuff.