Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 03:53 AM
This statement is false.

Question TOTM Guys....

I have read most of the TOTM articles, and I would like to get some information from the guys who have obviously been doing it right, as to what the key success factors are.

I realise that a combination of factors have contributed to your success, but I'd like to know what I need to do differently to achieve the same level of success you have attained.

So if you do not mind, I'd really appreciate it if you could respond to these questions below (but only if you have been either nominated for TOTM of were a TOTM):

1) Is your TOTM tank your first attempt at keeping a reef aquarium or if not, how many attempts is this?
2) What did you do to successfully (long term) eliminate problem algae like Bryopsis, pink hair algae and bubble algae from your tank?
3) Is your success largely attributed to having a huge "equipment room" with all state of the art equipment, or is it possible to have the same quality of aquariums but with less dramatic equipment rooms?
4) How intense is your maintenance schedule? In other words, how much time does keeping your aquarium at this level take from you?
5) Is part of your success in the [daily/weekly] monitoring of all your crucial water parameters such as alkalinity, Calcium, magnesium, pH, salinity, temperature, phosphates? And consequently making corrections if any of those parameters deviate? Or are you more relaxed about it?
6) Is there any kind of secret to the choice of live stock in order to attain these beautiful exhibits? In other words, is your success partly attributed to the fact that you chose all compatible species? Or is your tank the result of continual removal and replacement of problematic/incompatible species with more compatible ones? For example, if a leather coral and a colt coral fight with each other, would you remove one?
7) How long does it take to get from scratch to the stage where you reached TOTM status?
8) Do you only have one major tank to maintain?
9) If you could state three critical success factors that without you could not have reached this level, what are they?

Thanks for your time...
Old 12/08/2007, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Whats TOTM?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:57 AM
Registered Member

Tank of the month
Old 12/08/2007, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can in hopes that it helps your quest. First of all I must say I don't consider myself a high level aquarist, but I have been through alot of different issues through the years. Here we go.

1. My system featured was actually my 4th reef tank. Each tank increased in size. (55, 75, 180, 260 was the one featured, and now 420)
2. I did not have many algae issues with the the 260 but in the past and with my current tank algae phases did occur. I think to solve these it takes time and patience. In most newer systems algae is a part of the cycling process that in time will solve itself. Some may be able to get by with out an algae bloom but in 3 of the four systems I had issues. Manual removal, herbavours and clean water all help but patience is key.
3. Equipment is important, however I don't feel you need every gadget under the sun to be successful. IMO a good skimmer, lighting and water mov't is key. All the rest is "optional" IMO.
4. I spend about 5 mins a day on the tank. Feeding and water top off. I do a weekly water change that takes about 10mins to do and tests take another 15mins once a week.
5. My maintenance shedule consists of weekly tests on the major areas. Even thought testing is not fun I think it gives you a very good idea of what's going on water quality wise and can give you early warning signs if thinks are getting out of sync.
6. I plan species selection somewhat but if I see something I like I will not hesitate to add it as long as it is not too dangerous to the rest of the inhabitants. I have removed numerous fish and corals throughout the years.
7. For my TOTM, the system had been set up for about 2 years. However, many of the corals and rock had come from a previous set up that had been in operation for 3-4 years. I think this is why I had less "new tank" symptoms than in other tanks I had had previously.
8. I only maintain one tank at a time.
9. Three success factors....patience, patience, patience! JK. I do think patince is a big part of things. However, don't forget that if something isn't working don't be afraid to try something new. On my current system i had to redo the plumbing 3 times and it still isn't quite the way I want it. Start with good quality whether it be equipment, live rock coral, salt ect. This will save you alot of headaches down the road. Hope this helps.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:04 AM
This statement is false.

Great - thanks, this is exactly what I am after. Now just for the other guys to join too...
Old 12/09/2007, 02:51 AM
This statement is false.

?