Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Bare vs. Fake Bottoms

I'm convinced I want to go substrate-less for my big tank (from an ease of cleaning, weight & cost standpoint). I thought of going bare, but I don't like the flat look of bottom glass, even if it does have coralline.

I've also seen the pre-fab ceramic bottom inserts or the liquid pour-in/sculpting materials that would definitely add texture and maybe even allow for glued attachment of rocks, arches, etc to avoid the stacked-stone look of many reeftanks.

Anyone used any of these artificial materials?
Old 12/06/2007, 05:26 PM
Moved On

Here's a sample of one:

Originally posted by RonSF
The tank is a 68" x 24" x 24" Eurobraced custom glass tank, made by Lee Mar. It currently has a faux sandbed in it that is siliconed in (put in with the idea that it could be removed again, if necessary). I'm a custom modelmaker and exhibit fabricator by trade, and I sculpted a faux sandbed out of high density urethane foam and coated it with aquaculture friendly epoxy and arragonite sand. I also built, and didn't quite complete a custom, really nice stand for the tank that I would like to sell with the tank. The stand is primed, but still needs a topcoat of some sort of paint.

This is the tank:

This is the stand:
Old 12/06/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

nah but I'd imagine they would get covered in coraline anyways so why not just go with BB. I could see if maybe you're worried about a rock slide, but thats no concern really. I've never had an issue and Ive bene running BB tanks for years. I guess its all up to you and if you like that look.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:40 PM
troublemaker

IMO, part of the reason for BB is to have a nice even [flat] surface that the powerheads/flow can easily blow detritus from [and you can easily vacuum it from].

Thus, I tend to think that having an irregular bottom will only cause more detritus to be trapped ... negating some of the benefits of a BB [easy detritus removal, and easy detritus suspension via flow].
Old 12/06/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

good point. maybe deep in the back of my mind thats the reason why I always set them up as glass only.....no wait I lied, I had 1 tank that had a starboard bottom, but thats pretty much the same thing.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

I agree to some extent, but if simplified cleaning was the leading factor in reefkeeping, then we would all just use fake rock and imitation corals that could be easily removed and washed.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

simplified cleaning is the point of BB. You dont want those excess nutrients in your tank, hence no sand and a huge skimmer.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

this is the only US company I can find:

http://www.captiveoceans.com/ReefCeramics.htm

and a German site, too bad I can't read it:

http://www.riffkeramik.de/
Old 12/08/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

http://www.rockcanyon.com/reef/aquascaping.htm

Check this guy out, he did something you might appreciate.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

nice work, although I'll probably go with ceramics vice live rock so I can make a back wall and several outcroppings - all with attachment points.

I've had a lot of problems with bad hitchikers on LR, and the good critters can always be purchased separately and added on my own terms.