Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Target Feeding Zoas

I've heard of people target feeding Zoas, What do you more experienced reefers suggest? I know it's not necessary to do so but I would like to to my frags to help get them up a bit!
Old 12/06/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

I target feed mine maybe twice a month or if they are looking bad. It may help them spread but it's hard for me to tell cause they spread so fast in the first place.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

I don't target feed---I just keep the level high in zooplankton in the water column by using a refugium.
Before the refugium was set up I used to a cyclopeeze twice a week.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

MTB what do you target feed? What does everyone else target feed around here?

Thanks captain - did you see much growth?
Old 12/06/2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiep
MTB what do you target feed? What does everyone else target feed around here?

Thanks captain - did you see much growth?
it took about three months for the fuge to mature then all the corals(lps and softies) starting taking off---excellent growth and colour.

I only target feed the elegant coral and the anemome now. I was advised on the elegant thread that they won't feed from the water column. I am still not totally convinced because I have to admit that I am very spotty at spot feeding on a regular basis but they are doing great also.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Interesting.... I have 20 or 30 different kinds of zoanthids and none of them feed. However.... I do have 6 or 8 different palys and they will eat just about anything I give them. I am not convinced that zoa's eat anything, even though they will close up if some food is offered to them and appear to eat. Mine will open up later and drop out anything that was fed, uneaten.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I was going to say the same thing as Mark. I don't have any Zoos that will eat food I present, but I have Paly's that do.

I used to target feed most of my corals and only noticed an increase in algae growth when I did.

Now I don't target feed any. Growth actualy seems to have increased. Likely due to less PO4 and Nitrates in the water column...
Old 12/06/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mickyfin
I was going to say the same thing as Mark. I don't have any Zoos that will eat food I present, but I have Paly's that do.

I used to target feed most of my corals and only noticed an increase in algae growth when I did.

Now I don't target feed any. Growth actualy seems to have increased. Likely due to less PO4 and Nitrates in the water column...
or an increase in zooplankton in the water column. Shine a light on the tank at night--my water column is teeming with them.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
or an increase in zooplankton in the water column. Shine a light on the tank at night--my water column is teeming with them.
How would me decreasing target feeding lead to increased zooplankton in my water column?
Old 12/07/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
How would me decreasing target feeding lead to increased zooplankton in my water column?
nothing to do with target feeding---my only point was they are naturally in the water and their numbers increase with the maturity of your tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:30 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Quote:

I agree with these guys IME. the zooanthus don't flinch when a fat morsel hits the bullseye so why bother.

meanwhile the paly's go ape.

In conclusion, I quit feeding the zoanthus and let the paly's eat fish food which they easily eat more than the fish actually heh

I still target feed a couple things like the Echino-porky-phyllia etc
Old 12/07/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

I've kept healthy zoos for years without any feeding. They're bullet proof and thrive regardless, so it seems like wasted effort to me.