Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

live coral a terrorist threat?!?!

So I was taking a short trip a few months ago to another city and while I was there I thought it would be nice to scope out some of their LFS and maybe even buy some new coral that I could bring back with me (only an hour long flight). However seeing the new signs up in the airport I thought I should ask first about carrying on a bag of water with a fish/invertebrate in it... Cant be done. The new rule is no liquid over 100 mg or something and they dont make exceptions for liquid containing living organisms... Seriously. I'm more afraid of the staff at airports and not the passengers because of how ridicules and irrational they have become.

And lets not forget how a few weeks ago the airport cops in Vancouver BC Canada tasered a man to death because he couldnt speak english and was getting really frustrated trying to get home. Didn’t hear about it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwUn...eature=related now you have.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

put the coral in your checked luggage, you'll be fine. I've smuggled all sorts of drugs, CITES animals, illegal aliens, and explosives this way. About the tasering, I agree, Canadians shouldn't have tasers
Old 12/06/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

And why is it that Canadians shouldn't have tasers? Or were you trying to say that no country should employ the use of tasers. Sorry, I'm a little confused here as to why that comment was made. A little clarification would be appreciated.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

i think your reading to far into that one nemo...... if im not mistaken the poster was probably being sarcastic or cracking a joke. I mean... i chuckled...
Old 12/06/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

lol, but seriously no law enforcement should have tasers. The idea of less than lethal gets them too excited. If someone poses some threat to them they should shoot them.... if shooting is not appropriate neither is tasering since it may in fact kill them...
Old 12/06/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

And it's fine to joke around. I'm the last one to read too far into something or take something too seriously. But when a comment made on here is directed toward a specific nationality and pokes fun at it - joking or not - you'll usually end up generating some unfavorable responses. It's just not the smartest thing to do in a forum that features subscribers from all over the world.
Just my two cents.

Old 12/06/2007, 11:08 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Guys, lets try not to make this a political thread.

Thanks.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:14 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
ibtl

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

back on topic....

enough said.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

It is unfortunate that these restrictions have been imposed. I've seen some great stuff at other fish stores while abroad. Stuff that I've never seen at any of my local stores and I would've loved to have brought it home with me.
It's a shame... This crazy world we live in.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

LOL, I love ReefCentral...

Whatcaneyedo- I'm with you on the employees at the airport being the scary ones!!
Old 12/06/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by atzak
put the coral in your checked luggage, you'll be fine. I've smuggled all sorts of drugs, CITES animals, illegal aliens, and explosives this way. About the tasering, I agree, Canadians shouldn't have tasers
Hahaha, I actually laughed for a good while when I read this! I took it as a joke, especially after reading how he smuggles illegal aliens and explosives in his checked luggage.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Oh but on the actual subject, I would rather they not allow any liquids and be overly safe than be on a plane that is targeted by terrorists. Thats just the world we live in today. I have lived for a long time in both Canada and the US and for some reason, Canadians still take a way too laid back approach to terrorism...Kind of like it will never happen here attitude and THATS scary since Canada was one of the five countries on that "hit" list and the only one not to be hit yet.

Anyways, I also would love to bring stuff back when I go to Florida and visit my family but I would rather the airport err on the safe side. Besides, there is really nothing you cannot buy in Canada (especially here in the West) that you can buy in the US. Its all really the same.

Also, the tasering at Vancouver airport was not airport empolyees but police officers, could have happened anywhere and does. This was not specifically because it was the airport. Im sure being in the airport made things worse security wise but another guy died a week or two later from tasering and was not in the airport. The police should not have tasers PERIOD.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nemonick84

It's a shame... This crazy world we live in.
There you go - you said it - so let's not act like we are sane!
Old 12/06/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Ok...let start a pool of how long it takes before "atzak" gets a visit from his local law enforcement officers and screams...."Dont taze me bro"

Thats got to be the STUPIDEST post I have ever seen.

Mark.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by digitaldego77
back on topic....

enough said.
ROFL!!!
Old 12/06/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I guess a rock covered with zoanthids could be a biological threat - think of all that palytoxin.......................................
Old 12/06/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I would love to pack the coral into my checked baggage... if there was some guarantee it wouldnt get lost, or that someone wouldnt take it by accident, or if they didnt let it all sit out on the runway at -25ēC for 15 minutes, or if they actually had heated cargo holds on AirCanada planes, or if they didnt just throw our luggage around smashing everything inside regardless of FRAGILE stickers and packaging. I've had all of these happen to myself or members of my family on more than a couple of occasions. Man I wish our LFS here didnt suck so much... but thats another thread.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

One point lots of you are forgetting is good ol' customs (at least for the US). Without proper documentation, I imagine they wouldn't let you bring any fish, corals etc. in.

Quoted from the customs/border patrol website
"Live Animals and Birds
Live animals and birds may enter the United States subject to certification, certain permits, inspection, and quarantine rules that vary greatly with the type of animal and its origin. Pet birds purchased abroad for personal use may enter, subject to restrictions by some state departments of agriculture."
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl..._prod_inus.xml

I know in the Mexican border towns the kids try to sell roses to the American women walking back across the international bridges...guess how many roses customs lets into the US...
Old 12/06/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

They are all in Canada....................................

You guys try putting it in your checked bag inside of a thermos???
Old 12/06/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Its the same coming into Canada. You need a CITIES permit for both countries. I had a horrible experience when I moved back to Canada from living in Florida. I wanted to bring my 14" 4 year old Puffer back with me because he was a good friend to me. I called the airlines and they for some reason said it would be fine. This was before the ban on liquids BTW. I just had to go early and claim I was taking him with me because he was a "pet" and not for sale. So I get to the airport and they tell me that Canada will not allow me to enter on the other side with him so I can't even take him on the plane. I begged them to let me try but they said they would be fined for letting me. All the while, they had opened the packaging I had him in and released all the pure oxygen (which was hard to get in FLA.) ect. I had hope when another officer said they should let me go with him but in the end they just plain said no. So Im sitting there with no options left except to leave him there. It was even worse that dozens of people kept coming by to "check out the cool puffer" and keeping his box open. In the end I had to either leave him or miss my plane back. My visa was expiring, so I really had no choice but to leave the country. I was pretty much in tears leaving him there especially because I had no idea what they would do with him. One guy said he could go release him into the ocean for me...
Old 12/06/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nemonick84

Just my two cents.

[/B]
I didn't think you guys had cents up there, I thought you used moose poop
Old 12/06/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Atzak,my dogs could find your stash anywhere!BTW-did'nt they take away tasers when they took away your guns?

Last edited by john eichwedel; 12/06/2007 at 08:20 PM.