Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Talking PICS of new setup

here are some pics of my new setup 200 gallon saltwater with 90 sump and refugium/ ive had the tank going for about 3 years now aggrisve setup but now i built the sump in my basement and i want to get started with reefssytem. not going to get crazy yet just some small stuff and all new fish. i got rid of most of my fish i kept 2 just to keep the system going.
i want to know the best way to get started with a reef setup and some opinons on my setup good and bad please thPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucketanks!Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 12/05/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

i would like some opinons on ym setup good and bad please. i want to get started in a reef setup and want some ideas on how to get started and where to start?whats good fish to start with?
Old 12/05/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

The setup looks good, what are the perimeters. The only thing I see is you may need to upgrade the lights, what are they.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

just basic bulbs right now. theres 2 bulbs in each light.can i use the live rock i have in the tank now?at one time the rock was alld ead but few friends told me it will come back to life?ehat do you mean by permiters
Old 12/05/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

I would say better live rock with that big of a tank you can do some really nice aqua scapping.

Id get marshall island or tonga live rocks.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

is it cheaper to get live rock on internet or local stores?
Old 12/05/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Looks good so far. I would add more live rock & upgrade your lighting system

I was able to get cheap live rock from a local RC reefer in the Selling/Trading Forum. I would start there
Old 12/05/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

will some of the rock in my tank become live again, and how can i help the bactria grow on them?
Old 12/05/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tony45power
is it cheaper to get live rock on internet or local stores?
hey tony45power
you can definitely get better deals online!... although you still might try your LFS to see if they might have any deals.

if you are an economically minded individual
you might try to find stuff (live rock/lites etc) from local reefers... who usually have lots of stuff for sale (RC has a club forum - might see if there is one in your area or ask lfs about it)...

i have seen alot of stuff for sale cheap using
craigslist.org

sometimes
one might be better off purchasing an already established system... vs going out and purchasing items separately - have seen so many good deals on already established complete systems - live rock corals and all the accessories - selling for anywhere from 500-1500... and what you dont need can be sold off leaving you perhaps recouping some if not all of what you put in it (ie selling of the tank if not wanted or needed and keeping everything else!)

keep an eye out and watch these ads
as the price will continue to go down once people realize no one is going to pay them what the stuff is worth!

there are many local individuals selling liverock
for betw 2-4bucks/pound on craigslist - a lot of times its cured (or say they say atleast!) or already has coraline algae on it etc... nice thing about going this route is you can find someone local then just drive over and pick it up - in this area the prices are no different then purchasing it online and might even be cheaper not paying for shipping

hope this helps and good luck! - cant wait to see the end result after you get it all set up!

regards
Old 12/05/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Looks like you got a nice tank to wotk with.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Looks like you have alot to work with, first thing i would do is loose the metal clamps and strapping, going to rust, and create issues. Second , it looks like you have a plenum above your sand bed in your fuge, !?!
Other than that, loose the lava rock buy or make some rock upgrade lighting and your rockin.

I look forward to your progress.

55 gallon Dt in the works.
w/ 20 gal sump, 20 gallon fuge
Old 12/05/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

what kinda oflighting should i be looking for ?whats a plenum?
i just put live rock and kent marine nautilus protien skimmer. i cant get the alagea to stop growing in there?
Registered Member

i just put live rock and kent marine nautilus protien skimmer. i cant get the alagea to stop growing in there?
Registered Member

Old 12/06/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

will the rocks in my takn become live rock again? anything i can do to progress this?
Old 12/07/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Yes your rocks will become live again. The term "live rock" is really just the micro-organisms, amphipods and such living on and in the rock. IMO Marshall island is some good rock. Another alternative would be to get Marco rock and start from scratch. Marco rock is also considerably cheaper. The only problem i see besides what others have pointed out would be the Puffer. Once you introduce corals he will probably eat or nip at them causing you stress. bioballs in the fuge might also cause a problem with nitrate. HTH a bit
Old 12/07/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member.

Nice black algea