Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

VHO vs T5

what is the pros and cons of each one. I have VHO now but I have been looking at getting T5.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:32 AM
Spine Straightener

I prefer VHO for actinic and T5 for 10K. T5s produce PAR equivelent to many MH when the proper balasts and individual reflectors are used. They produce less heat than MH and the tubes last 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than MH. Also power consumption is less than MH. What you loose is the shimmer of MH bulbs.

VHO seems to produce a better, brighter blue actinic light than T5 actinics but the bulbs don't last quite as long.

Hope that helps.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Probably has nothing to do with your question, but a little life experience to emphasize the point of bulb life. Corals can't really tell you when your lights are starting to get crappy, but people have no problem expressing displeasure with old bulbs. Before my current attempt at LFS ownership, I had a Tanning Salon. The bulds are designed a little different (Quantity of UV versus correct spectrum for corals) but the principle is the same. If I kept new "Hot" bulbs in the beds, the customers were happy little campers. As soon as those bulbs started getting old and loosing their zip, customers started complaining immediately. We used VHO bulbs and they stated going bad after about 1000-1500 hours on the bulbs. Same thing applies with our tank bulbs, except our corals are a little more suttle in their complaining.

I would say a brand new VHO is better than a T-5. However bulb life drops off much quicker and if you don't pony up and give your corals new bulbs every six months, they and you will suffer in the long run. By the time you see the corals complaining, it's too late.

T-5s are like using CDs vice an old 8 track or cassette player. Better quaity, more efficient, last longer.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

A good T-5 setup is going to give you significantly more PAR than VHOs, despite the fact that VHOs technically produce more light. T-5s have two big things going for them, and they both have to do with the smaller bulb diameter. First, you can fit more T-5 bulbs over the tank. Still, they're only high output (HO) vs. very high output (VHO), so that alone doesn't do it. The big bang for your buck is having a reflector for each bulb (not all T-5 setups do this). By doing this, combined with there simply being less bulb to block the reflected light, you get a much larger percentage of the light each bulb is reflecting actually reaching the tank instead of getting reflected right back onto the "back" of the bulb or out the sides of the hood.

I pretty much agree with Doc regarding VHO colors, though, specifically actinic. VHOs have been used in the trade much longer and have a larger bulb selection and more time to perfect the spectrums. That said, I think a combination of the Super Actinic and Actinic+ bulbs (both by Geissman I believe) have a resulting actinic color equal to or possibly even better than any VHO I've seen. That's just my personal opinion, though, and I probably am prejudiced.

-Mike C.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I have yet to be impressed with any of the T5 Actinics. I bought a cheap ballast just to run VHO Actinics. If I add more T5's to my setup I'll go with 8 bulbs total with 2 of them VHO Actinic.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

So if I take out 2 of my VHOs and replace them with T5s. Then How many T5s should I run?
Old 12/05/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

that depends on what you want to keep and what kind of ballasts you are going to use.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:10 PM
Spine Straightener

I wouldn't remove the VHO's just change to actinic only. Then add a couple of T5s with individual reflectors to give you the 10K. To me that would be the way to go.

Sorry Mike, I've run both Geisman Super actinics and Superblues and Have to agree with Drew. I wasn't impressed. I've seen better blue from PCs.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I have lps,mushrooms,leathers I was wanting to start sps. how many watts shoult I have per gal?
Old 12/05/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

For sps you are probably going to want to overdrive the bulbs with Icecap ballasts. The only problem with that is you might find that the lps, shrooms and leathers do not do well. I only have 2 T5 bulbs on my tank now (put them on for Actinic when I had MH and it just didn't give me the actinic look i was looking for) with 2 VHO's The T5's are on an Icecap ballast and my softies don't like it up near the top of the tank with just 2 bulbs. I was kind of shocked about that.

If you are going to go with a mixed reef I'd do just as Hank said and add some T5s to your current setup. If you can get a mixture of 4 different 10k - daylight type bulbs you should get enough light for some sps, I would think. Go for the ATI bulbs.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

sounds like it not wearth doing then
Old 12/05/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I've been reading up on t5's and have to say that grim reefer is the go to guy on this. With the right ballast and reflectors there are a lot of combinations that can be used to get "just the right light". Here is his thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5#post11320695
He can tell you if an icecap is the way to go and which lights to use in what order to get the look you want. Good luck! I plan on getting some soon myself.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

VHO+T5's

Last edited by GrndHog; 12/05/2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Grndhog, do you have a picture of the tank under those lights? I'd like to see what it looks like.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Check my pic gallery
Old 12/05/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. A little too white for me. I think I will stick with grim's suggestion. I want the colors to "pop" and I have lots of colors. I love your xenia and clown pic. Those must look awesome pumping away!
Old 12/05/2007, 08:35 PM
Spine Straightener

Heather, let me warn you, T5s strong point isn't blue. If that's what you're after, I'd supplement them with VHO or PC actinics. Or there's 175w 14K MHs. Love the shimmer!
Old 12/05/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Some people like the color of the Fiji bulbs. They use them for Blue and Red.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry Mike, I've run both Geisman Super actinics and Superblues and Have to agree with Drew. I wasn't impressed. I've seen better blue from PCs.
Yeah, I could certainly see it as just a personal preference for me. I can be strange that way. I do agree that neither bulb alone gives you a very good actinic color. The Super Actinic (UVI) and Pure Actinic (Geissman) are too purple, and the Geissman Actinic+ just doesn't floresce very well at all. I really liked the color of the two bulbs combined, though. I will concede that I'm in the minority as far as preferring T-5 actinic to VHO, though. VHOs are definitely tried and true in that area.

-Mike C.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone run the ATI Aquablue Specials ( I think thats what they are called) or the KZ Fiji Blue bulb?
Old 12/06/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Grim suggested I run:
front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue

According to him this should get a 12k-14k mh look that will make the coral colors "pop".
Old 12/06/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Possibly... I know Sue isn't happy with her T5 bulbs right now and is planning on changing out the UVL bulbs she has.

I think its hard to get the great pop in colors like the MH/VHO combos can do.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Here's my t5 tank...