Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Bad to put LR in the sump?

I have a bunch of LR that I don't have room for in my main tank. Is there any problems with putting it in the sump? How about the fuge? Should I keep the fuge clear with only macros?
Old 12/01/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

no
Old 12/01/2007, 11:25 AM
Master of Funk

I got about 30lbs in mine. It will filter down there just as well.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Have light though.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I do have some light but not as much as the DT. They are also older bulbs which are better at growing algae than corals. Should I keep fresh bulbs on the sump/fuge for the LR?
Old 12/01/2007, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

The LR will do nothing for you in the sump except collect debris, and raise the po4 levels in your tank.

I personally look at my LR as just a pretty place to let my coral attach to. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

So, LR leaches phosphate??? I thought phosphate comes from food and tapwater, no?
Old 12/01/2007, 01:32 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSchwag
The LR will do nothing for you in the sump except collect debris, and raise the po4 levels in your tank.

I personally look at my LR as just a pretty place to let my coral attach to. Nothing more, nothing less.
LR is far more than that, it really is the foundation modern reef tanks are built on.

Please show me a successful tank with zero live rock. Even propagation tanks have vats of liverock connected to them. I think it has been shown that some tanks can go with less live rock than many previously thought, but it is far from being just a pretty place to put coral.... Those tanks are usually run with very high end skimmers and the best flow possible. I did not see you ask him about that?

I personally to not buy into all this fear of "debris" that many have. I have large rubble zones in my sump and just look at it as "pod factories" and "detrius reduction zones" Detrius has no time to collect IME. My tank runs VERY nutirent poor FWIW, and I have to supplement and over-feed to compenstate.

As for PO4 leaching, I do not sere why it would be singled out over N03 etc..? If his levels are fine it should not be an issue. LR and PO4 is only a concern if the tank has been at high levels for a long time, then the rock may have locked up some that will leech over time.

He could also run filter socks if he wanted, and it would make the detrius issue irrelevant.. But I am not a fan of those either. I like letting things balance themselves out naturally.

Anyways, I think it is a good idea for certain tanks that want less LR in the display.

Last edited by HBtank; 12/01/2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

I agree with HB in that the rubble rock I've got in my sump is the last stop for lots of pods who gobble up the detritus then get whisked away through the pump inot the edible afterlife of the main tank. The circle. The circle of life.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:43 PM
saltwater in my veins

Here are some pics of my sump. it would give some here on RC a heart attack.. lol

Old 12/01/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSchwag

If you say LR does nothing, then what are you using for filtration?
Old 12/01/2007, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

If you are worried about detritus, just build a little eggcrate shelf in your sump and pile all of your LR on top of it. It only has to be an inch or two off the bottom, then you can vacuum up the detritus that collects on the bottom of the sump with no problems.