Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 07:44 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Photos of your circuits and placement

I am getting 2 circuits installed tommorow behind my soon to be basement reef tank. I wanted to see where the circuits were located in relation to your tanks....I can have the technician put them whereever I want....so I am trying to pick the best spot. Any pics or advice would be great! Thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

You mean, were are the outlets?
Old 11/30/2007, 11:54 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by Keelay
You mean, were are the outlets?
yep
Old 12/01/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Where they have no chance of getting wet. At first you may want to put them behind the tank, but that is likely the worst pace. Put them where they can stay dry and be accessed.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:00 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Where they have no chance of getting wet. At first you may want to put them behind the tank, but that is likely the worst pace. Put them where they can stay dry and be accessed.
Thanks...I decided to put them up high and a few feew from the tank so no water gets near the circuits....thanks for the advice.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

The ones that are close to the tank (if you didn't think of it already) should be GFCI's. If they do get wet, it will trip and not harm you or the fish/coral. I put one on mine (behind the tank, normal height) and it saved some stuff when I had a clown attack me. Quit laughing!!
Old 12/01/2007, 09:15 PM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by Sooner Handyman
The ones that are close to the tank (if you didn't think of it already) should be GFCI's. If they do get wet, it will trip and not harm you or the fish/coral. I put one on mine (behind the tank, normal height) and it saved some stuff when I had a clown attack me. Quit laughing!!
Yep, they are all GFCI's! I have 2 20 amp circuits, just in case 1 trips and I am not home, I have another backup...plus my Vortech back up....!
Old 12/02/2007, 03:18 AM
Can't be listed on **

Be very careful having everything on GFCI's, they can and do false trip and if you loose all of your circulation you will loose everything in your tank. Also some light ballasts can cause a gfci to trip when being turned on. GFCI's are good at saving your life, but I have seen them kill many tanks when they false tripped and the tank was not equipped with other water movement/oxygenation devices.

Kim
Old 12/02/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

I recommend placing critical equipment on separate GFCIs. You can attach multiple GFCIs to a single circuit.