Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 07:19 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Post post your info if you want to be included in the RC "club showcase"

posting to this thread is probably the easiest way to gather some info on URS members. Please post to this thread if you want to be included in the club showcase described in the sticky at the top of the URS Forum. Feel free to elaborate and include any and all pictures that you feel appropriate- not only does the rest of the reefkeeping community not know us but a lot of us don't know each other and this thread can be used for future reference.
Suggested info:
*Name
*Occupation
*Hobby Experience
*Brief Aquarium description and photos
*Why do you have a passion for this hobby?
*Why do you value URS?
*Memorable Moments-Note URS events or interactions with members that have been satisfying to you, have enhanced your husbandy or were just plain fun.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:57 PM
yes it's my aquarium

*Name: Gary Majchrzak
*Hobby Experience: over 14 years of running various aquarium systems including (but not limited to) reef aquaria, rotifer cultures, phytoplankton cultures, Anemonefish and Cardinalfish breeding and rearing. Previous TOTM recognition in Advanced Aquarist and Reefkeeping Online Magazines. Contributer to the Seneca Park Zoo reef aquarium display in Rochester, NY. Founding member of URS, URSNY and NCPARS.

225 gallon reef aquarium

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? I'm a Pisces.
*Why do you value URS? I need to see who bought the stuff at the LFS that I couldn't. Just kidding. If you've never interacted with other reefkeepers in your area you don't know what you're missing.
Here are just a few memorable moments:
*the first URS frag swap I attended when there was fewer than 6 members
*finding out about RC from URS members, getting a PC and connecting with other local reefkeepers online
*being involved in various reef related projects including the formation of URS & URSNY, bringing Calfo, Joshi and melev to Rochester, helping to get the SPZ reef aquarium established, geting to know some really nice and very knowledgable reefkeepers in upstate NY
*helping others with "stuff" every day right here on RC
Old 11/29/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Re: post your info if you want to be included in the RC "club showcase"

*Name - Chris Nowak
*Occupation - Mechanical Engineer
*Hobby Experience - First reef tank in 1999
*Current system is a 125 gallon mixed reef, linked to a 75 gallon softie tank.

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? - I've always loved watching fish swim around, so peaceful and relaxing.
*Why do you value URS? - Nowhere else did I ever find a resource for furthering my education of the hobby to be so consolidated into a single place. At first I came here to learn about captive reef keeping tips and tricks, and as time went on I learned about the camaraderie shared among fellow hobbies ts.
*Memorable Moments- Most recently, getting the opportunity to show my system in n organized "reef crawl" around the Buffalo NY area.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:50 PM
Killer of Giants

*Name: Mark Colaneri
*Hobby Experience:~3 years. On my second tank. Nano in the works. Lots of reading and LOTS of lurking on RC forums.
*Brief Aquarium description and photos: Oceanic 180 6x2x2. 3 HQI DE250's, T5 Supplementation. ASM G4x Skimmer in basement sump. Geo Ca Reactor. 20gal refugium.

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? Not to copy Gary M., but I'm a scorpio and have always had an affinity for water and science. Before I could spell I wanted to be an oceanographer. When I was 5 my mother sent my older brothers to see Jaws in 1975 to see just how violent it was, because I HAD to see "The Shark Movie".

*Why do you value URS? We've got people of all skill levels. We can get help, give help, or just plain commiserate.

*Memorable Moments-Note URS events or interactions with members that have been satisfying to you, have enhanced your husbandy or were just plain fun: I've met quite a few members along the way. I've been given things, given things away, made contacts and friends. Ya gotta love the characters!
Old 11/29/2007, 09:25 PM
Wish coral grew faster

*Name: Kurt Schneid

*Hobby Experience: Reef keeping, mostly soft corals and a few LPS since 1997. Just started SPS this year.

*Brief Aquarium description and photos: Started a 225 display system in July of 2007, I call it a 'mixed' reef since it contains about an equal number of LPS and SPS corals. Plumb'd to the cellar where there is another 300 or so gallons of water in a sump/refugium setup.

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? Fish don't leave hair on the couch, dont bark at night, and dont puke or poop in the house/yard.

*Why do you value URS? I was keeping a reef with only information gained from reading a few books and experiments of my own. Its nice to get information on what others have tried out and their experience with different products/live stock. The community of reefkeepers has brought my enjoyment of the hobby to a higher level.

*Memorable Moments-Note URS events or interactions with members that have been satisfying to you, have enhanced your husbandy or were just plain fun. I like the constant interaction provided by reefcentral.com forums, and more recently enjoyed a day trip around the Buffalo area looking at others systems as well as showing off my current project.

Old 11/29/2007, 09:29 PM
Nature is my valium =)

*will repost after some coralline removal*

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F

Last edited by dreaminmel; 11/29/2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Ellery Wong

Name: Ellery F. Wong

Hobby Experience: 20 years saltwater/ 25 years freshwater

Brief Aquarium description and photos: Both Setups re-established 9/2006

125RR Mixed Reef w/ MAG18 Return
2x 250W XM10k + 250W HQI XM20K Centered
Model 4 Megaflow sump w/ Phosguard
AquaC EV180 protein Skimmer w/Mag7
DIY Dual Chamber GEO Calcium Reactor w/ 15gal CO2 tank
Titanium Ground Probe
Auto-Top off with 5 Stage RO/DI water
SEIO M1500 * Penguin 1140 circulation
DIY 2 Part Ca/Alk+Mag
5 Gallon Remote Deep Sand Bed

Fed daily Brine shrimp plus+Prime Reef Flake+Mysis shrimp+Garlic extreme, Nori

Fish- Purple Tang, Hippo Tang, Lavender Tang, Foxface Lo, Fridmani Pseudochromis, Algae Blenny, Solomon Island Clown, Six Line Wrasse

Invertebrates - Cleaner shrimp, 2 Queen Conchs, supposedly 6 peppermint shrimps, snails, 2 Blue Leg Hermits, Yellow Cuke, many mini asteroid starfish

Softies - Red Sea Pulsing Xenia, Kenya trees, red, turquiose, Green striped, mushrooms, Rose BTA, Orange, Green button polyps, Toadstool leather

SPS - Blue/white tip Staghorn, Purple Milli, Pink milli, Yellow Tort, Orange Cap, Purple Cap, Poccilopora, Green/Blue Montipora, ? acro

LPS - Frogspawn, Torch

My Pride and Joy: Rose Bubble Tip Anemone w/ 11yo Solomon Island Clown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

90RR FOWLR
120# Fiji LR
Berlin Turbo Skimmer, U/V Sterilizer, Mag 7 return and 5g RDSB
T8 2x Overdriven 50/50 DIY LightingSystem

FISH: Koran Angel, Flame Angel, Lawnmower Blenny, Foxface Lo, Cinnamon Clown, Yellow-Tail Damsel, Green Chromis, Yellow Tang

Other: Long Spined Urchin, Orange Ricordea, Red Mushrooms, Tiger Tail Cuke, Nassarius Snails, Blue Leg Hermits, Turbo Grazers, Astrea Snails

Why do you have a passion for this hobby?
I've always enjoyed the mystery of the ocean and watched many episodes of Jacque Cousteau's adventures. It's also very relaxing as a stress managing activity after a long day at work.

Why do you value URS?
URS is a great group of passionate hobbyists who will steer you to the right direction no matter how many years of experience you have. As they say "the knowledge of many will always top the knowledge of one."

Memorable Moments-
The most memorable event thus far has been the event at the Seneca Park Zoo. It was well organized for a first time event for this group as an official club. I got to meet many of the people that I've only known by their screen names.

WebPage:
http://team191.servehttp.com/
Old 11/30/2007, 01:24 AM
...this is only a test...

Name: Michael Yaeger

Hobby Experience: 4 years

Brief Aquarium description and photos: 30 gallon 36x13x18
1x150w 14k DE Hamilton MH with 2x96w actinic
CPR Bakpak skimmer with MJ 1200
Tetratec filter which hold 1c of carbon and 1/2c Po4 remover
2xMJ 600 and 1xRio900 for flow
1-2 aragonite sandbed
30lbs Tutoka rock

FTS

My favorite picture of my Cynarina

Feeding regimen: I feed a homemade mix of shrimp, scallops, clams, tuna, salmon, garlic, nori, and yeast.

Fish: Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Foxface LO, Tomato clown, Green Mandarin Goby (tang police: 180 to be set up in two months)

Invertebrates: Some trocus snails and one very large queen conch (4inches).

Softies: Kenya tree, Zooanthids, and Nepthia, Green Striped Mushrooms and Red Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps

LPS: Frogspawn, Bubble coral, Orange Cynarina, Blastomusa Merletti, Neon Green Candy cane, Alien Eye Acanthastrea

Why do you have a passion for this hobby?
I find it so fascinating that I can maintain and sustain a biodiverse ecosystem in my living room...oh yeah, it's pretty too.

Why do you value URS?
As long as you don't say, "I have had my 10g nano up for two weeks and I am lighting it with a flouresent bulb that I found in my basement. Why are my Crocea clams and Blue spot Octopus dead?" everyone on here is so apt to help.

Memorable Moments:
The Seneca Park Zoo event was by far the best thing that has happened (for me) since I became a member on URS.

WebPage:
www.thepomodorogrill.com

Last edited by magdelan; 11/30/2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Reefer

*Name: John Reed
*Hobby Experience: Saltwater Fish Tanks 30+yrs, Reef Tanks 3yrs. Steering Committee member and VP of URSNY.

120 gallon reef aquarium

40 gallon fuge

50 gallon Sump

100 Micron Filter Sock tied onto sump intake for gross particulate matter. Changed weekly.
ASM Skimmer
Approximately 175 lbs. of Live Rock.
7 gal RDSB
2 Lifereef Media Canisters
Auto Top Off System Using a Lifereef Float Switch and 2 Ultralife Float Switches 1 for Low Limit and 2 as the High Limit with a maxi-jet 1200
Rancho Dual Stage Controller
Heater: Hydor 300w submersible in the sump
backup Hydor 250w Heater in sump
Current Electric 1/3hp Drop In Chiller
Lifereef Calcium Reactor
Pinpoint PH Controller
Two Little Fishes Phos Reactor
Tank Overflow: (2) overflow, with a 1 1/2" Durso standpipes.
Main System Pumps: (1) BlueLine 55HDX.
Other Pumps: 2 #4 Koriala's
2 Water Returns: 1" from main tank and separate return from Fuge

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? Compulsively Hooked.
*Why do you value URS? To read and learn from others
*Memorable moments:*Being involved with URSNY, The Zoo Event

The answer is always no if you never ask the question.....
Old 11/30/2007, 09:17 PM
Nature is my valium =)

*Name - Melanie Fitt
*Occupation - Insurance
*Hobby Experience - First reef 1999, freshwater since childhood
*Brief Aquarium description and photos - The tank is a 125 tall version with a 30 gallon sump, 125 gallons total volume

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? - The challenge and beauty of it all
*Why do you value URS? - We all get along and help each other
*Memorable Moments - Meeting a lot of great people, spending too much at the Sept. '06 swap and making someone wait a year for a frag.

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 11/30/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

*Name Chris Kam
*Occupation Network Engineer (computer nerd)
*Hobby Experience First Salt water Fish only tank April 2005, First Reef August 2005.
*Brief Aquarium description and photos 180 gallon peninsula room divider with 40 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium in the basement.

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? From the time I was a kid I’ve always been fascinated with the ocean. Growing up I dreamed of having a job that kept me close to warm tropical waters. I’ve had freshwater tanks for over 20 years and with the support of my wife decided to give salt water a try back in 2005, something that was a long time desire of mine.
*Why do you value URS? Working in the computer field I’ve been “online” for more years that most people have known about the Internet. When I decided to make the move to salt water I started researching web sites. After I found Reef Central which quickly became my favorite site for information, I later found URS which took the information value of RC to a whole new level, adding friends and other opportunities. URS has enhanced my hobby experience, allowing me to interact and grow with others that are just as passionate about this hobby as I am.

*Memorable Moments I still remember the person who sold me my first PC lights, so I could buy corals. I remember the first frags that I bought at my first URS frag swap. The URSNY Seneca Park Zoo event and the Batavia event were great (want to attend more) and I had a lot of fun on the Reef Crawl.

My son said I should have been a potatoe bug farmer.
Old 12/01/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

*Name-James Davie
*Occupation-Bookstore assistant,Rev.
*Hobby Experience-41 years Fresh,Marine,Brackish
*Brief Aquarium description and photos-90 lagoon+180gal sps connected to 2- 100gal sumps. (1 DSB+1Cryptic zone/skimr)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ballechino.jpg[/IMG]

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby.I am gobsmacked over the incredible complexity and awesomeness of God's creation?

*Why do you value URS?- Great place to learn and meet friends with the same addiction
*Memorable Moments- All the frag meets, particularly the first one at the Zoo.

Last edited by St.james of reefdom; 12/01/2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:55 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Name: Scott Krebbeks
Hobby Experience: 6 months
Brief Aquarium description and photos: 75 gallon display with 29 gallon sump/fuge. Four 48" T-5 bulbs overdriven w/ an Icecap 660 ballast; Reef Octopus NW-150 skimmer; Two Koralia #4's.

Why do you have a passion for this hobby? I've always had freshwater tanks and was looking for more challenge and beauty in the display.
Why do you value URS? This is, unequivocally, the most informative forum on Reef Central. Everyone is helpful and has a great sense of humor.
Memorable Moments: Here's a few that come to mind: URS member thriceanangel hooking me up with my live rock, frags, and some chaeto; The 'Evening at the Reef' event at the Seneca Park Zoo exceeding my wildest expectations; and meeting other URS members at frag swaps.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

*Name: Joe Melton
*Occupation: Student (Almost Done Taking my last class this quarter!)
*Hobby Experience: Since Feb '07
*Brief Aquarium description and photos: 75g with 30g sump/fuge, 440w VHO, Octopus NW-150

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? Watching something grow in front of you, whether fish, coral, or invert is an awesome thing to experience.

*Why do you value URS? They members are always willing to help share advice and experiences.

*Memorable Moments-Note URS events or interactions with members that have been satisfying to you, have enhanced your husbandy or were just plain fun: I've only met a few people face to face, but everyone that helped me get equipment and livestock have been awesome. Viewing their tanks also gave me something to aspire to. Everyone in the URS is truly great.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

*Name:Orlando Santos
*Hobby Experience:Over 20 years of reading and about 5 actual.
*Brief Aquarium description and photos: 180 gallon Fish only with coral with 1200watts of 14k halides, no skimmer or sump just a fluval 404 and powerheads. Equal parts softy and lps.
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? Grew up in the carribean and loved to swim in the ocean so brought a piece home.
*Why do you value URS? I have learned more on URS then I could ever imagine and the family like feel is the best.
*Memorable Moments-Note URS events or interactions with members that have been satisfying to you, have enhanced your husbandy or were just plain fun: When we were at the zoo meet and the polar bear interupted Sanjay (priceless).
Old 12/04/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

bump for an important thread
Old 12/04/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Name: Cody Spencer

Occupation: Biochemistry Graduate Student at University of Rochester

Hobby Experience: Almost one year

Brief Aquarium description and photos:

46 gallon bowfront with TBS rock and sand, Deltec skimmer, Tunze 6045's, HOB refugium
Corals: Cladocora, Solenastrea, Briareum, Xenia, Euphyllia, Pocillopora, assorted zoanthids and mushrooms
Fish: False Percula (Molson), Scissortail Goby (Clipse), Purple Psudochromis (Purp)

Why do you have a passion for this hobby? I think what got me addicted to reefing is all of the bright colors of the fish and corals. I love the challenge of keeping a reef and have always been interested in the ocean, it's what got me into science. Reefing equipment is awesome too, I love all of the choices of things like skimmers, controllers, flow options... it's all so cool. When keeping a reef it feels like your never done, I can always upgrade to bigger and better I love that.

Why do you value URS? URS is a great place to get good information from other reefers which is priceless. Also being able to do things like trade frags and group buys makes the hobby more affordable and fun.

Memorable Moments: I'm pretty new here to URS I've only been posting in the forum for maybe 5 months or so. I did a group carbon buy a few weeks back which was great. My most memorable moment so far was probably when my TBS liverock arrived at the airport and I took it home and put it in the tank....thats when it all started. At the end of December I'm moving from Henrietta to Park Avenue and I'll have to move the tank so I'm sure that will be interesting.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Name: Tom Zielinski
Occupation: Retiree. After a tour of duty in Military Intelligence 67-70 aI began a career in NYS government and held positions in the Departments of Labor, Transportation and Mental Hygeine.I retired from my post as Executive Director of The Western NY DDSO and Developmental Center in 2002.

Hobby Experience: Freshwater since childhood. Reefs since 2002.

Brief Aquarium Description :
There are nine tanks totalling 580gals:
55gal FOWLR
35gal reef-predomionantly leathers and mushrooms.
490gal system which includes 3 reef display tanks(120gal,90gal and 90gal). The display tanks are arrayed side by side providing 11feet of display. These are integrated via the basement sump with each other and a 20gal opposite photo period refugium,a 40gal sps frag tank, a 30gal breeder dsb and lps frag tank ,a 29gal opposite photo period refugium which also holds some leathers and a 44 gal unlit bin of rubble serving as a third refuium.

Why do you have a passion for the hobby?
It challenges me and brings beauty into my life every day.The amount of knowlege to be acquired is endless and provides inspiration and insight into life and how to live it. The work is substaintial and rewarding. The small bit of some of God's most beautiful work in my home is a blessing.The opportunity to care for these wonderful creatures is an inspiring responsibility. I grew up on Long Island and have a beach house on the Outerbanks of NC. I have always been drawn to the ocean. As a child I delighted in watching and catching minnows while others were swimming.

Why do you value URS? Great intelligent and dedicated hobbyists who are more than willing to share a wealth of knowlege , opinion,sucesses and failures as well as a story or two.

Memorable moments. The reef crawl, the frag swaps,buying my first coral , a nice Wellsophylia/Trachyphillia geofri , which I still have. Sharing the story of how I almost killed my big longnosed blutterfly and the nice responses I received.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:57 AM
yes it's my aquarium

great stuff so far!

bump back to page one
Old 12/21/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Anymore adds?

Gary - Is there a process of who we should make aware of this thread on RC team?

I figured we can at least get the loop closed and understand the process.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

is this open to URS members too? (not just the paying ones?)
Old 12/21/2007, 04:00 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by doryarlin955
is this open to URS members too? (not just the paying ones?)
this is open to everyone that lives in the URS region, is active in our forum and is willing to participate.

Ellery- I still think a number of people need to post to this thread. We still need a lot of other stuff for the showcase- I'm hoping to use the meeting at Mark Klier's in the club showcase feature.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:44 PM
ReefoHolic

*Name - Ray Toombs
*Occupation - Area Manager for Flextronics
*Hobby Experience - 2+ years
*Brief Aquarium description and photos - This is my current 90gal set up with a 30gal sump. Mixed reef

*Why do you have a passion for this hobby? - I have always loved the ocean and started a long time ago with Fresh water.
*Why do you value URS? - The URS has provided me with more new people and friends too talk to then I could have imagined. It also allows me to expand my knowledge with the hobby.
*Memorable Moments- The first time I set up my first sump and emptied 10 gals of fresh salt water on the carpet.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

*Name - Jason Strakal

*Occupation - Executive chef

*Hobby Experience - 2 years

*Brief Aquarium description - 125 gal set up with a 60 gal sump, and 65 gallon show refugium.

*Passion for the hobby - I have recently decided to sell the 125, this, by no means, was an easy decision. With a lot of support by the "other half", and a lot of growth both in the aquarium, and personally, as a father and husband, I have thus decided to keep it. When I was a child I had to have an aquarium, an ant farm, all the insects, fish, books, cards, etc,, you name it..... if it had to do with the animal kingdom I had it. My passion for this runs very deep.
I enjoy every aspect of this hobby, from D.I.Y. to the simple pleasure of sitting in my recliner 3 inches from my aquarium and watching my false perculas take a nose dive into their sebae!!!

* Why do I value the URS - When I decided to start a reef aquarium, I did a lot of research, mostly on the internet. I came across reefcentral and it led me to the URS. I said hello, and was overwhelmed by the hospitality, and eagerness to help, from its members. I live pretty far from the inner circle, and consider myself somewhat removed from the experts, and I really mean EXPERTS that are the URS. At the same time, I feel a warm welcome, and as much an important part of the URS as it's most honorable members. The hospitality and character of this group leaves little to be desired.

* Memorable moments - meeting different members of the URS, trading and relating stories.

* Regrets - Not being able to experience the swaps and organized meets.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:54 AM
yes it's my aquarium

that was great, Jason.

See folks- you don't need to post a picture.