Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Best cheapish skimmer for 115, medium bioload - Aqua Euro USA 265?

My display tank is 115, plus I also have a 75 gallon sump. Medium bioload. I'm not really into modding, DIY type of stuff - I'm looking for something that will work well (or well enough) right out of the box. I'm sure I could get a great skimmer for $600 or $700 or more, but of course, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I will spend as much as is necessary to do a decent job, however.

I'm considering the Aqua Euro USA 265 recirculating skimmer, which is around $300. I've read Hahnmeister's exceedingly well done and thorough review (find it here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1), and it appears that although it has its issues (the stock pumps may not be particularly good), it might do the trick. Any thoughts on that particular skimmer, or competitors in the same price range that might be better for my situation? Thanks for the help.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:57 AM
Moved On

Take a look at DAS EX-1
Old 11/29/2007, 12:36 PM
One Good Friend

Or the new extreme octo's from www.marinesoulutionsinc.com They come in three sizes and the 200 wouuld be perfect for your size tank. Its 8" daimeter, bubble plate, 22" tall, looks to be a 4-5" neck with a sicce pump at 22-24lpm air. For 325bux. No mods needed and all at 30watts. I just don't see anything better out there for the value. The only problem is....there's no review's yet. So if all the above is true they will be dang near unbeatable, but if its not true then who know. Jayson from SWC has said he has one running and its very impressive. I'd like to see one with the air measured.

As for your recirc 265, it should work ok, and much better if you replaced the pump's with something decent.
Old 12/02/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I'm using the Aquaeuro 265 recirc. After I bought it the company had a bunch of issues with the pumps getting rusty inside. I've got mine plumbed externally so it's never been an issue. I love it and would recommed it highly. Pix in my gallery.