Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Most inexpensive auto top off setup?

I'm finally looking to add an auto top off setup to my tank. The Aquahub seems to be popular as well as one from AutoTopoff. The ones with double float switches from either of them are about $50. Looking to keep costs to a minimum and I like this method. My sump is below my tank and the top off water supply will also be below the tank in a compartment next to the sump. Are there any other similiar setups that may cost less than this?
Old 11/28/2007, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Those are prob the cheapest your going to find.
Old 11/28/2007, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

Re: Most inexpensive auto top off setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by ken123
I'm finally looking to add an auto top off setup to my tank. The Aquahub seems to be popular as well as one from AutoTopoff. The ones with double float switches from either of them are about $50. Looking to keep costs to a minimum and I like this method. My sump is below my tank and the top off water supply will also be below the tank in a compartment next to the sump. Are there any other similiar setups that may cost less than this?
Most Inexpensive that would be 2 hands and a 5 g bucket of SW lol

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 11/28/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

2 hands and a 5 g bucket is the cheap method I am using now! But getting tired of this. I searched the DIY forum and just found a few bad links. I guess either one of those will be it unless anyone else has an idea?????
Old 11/28/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

"Gravity fed" seems to be pretty popular over on the Nano-Reef forums.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=65554

Scale it up to size, to fit your needs and do some testing. Could be a worthy DIY project.

Old 11/28/2007, 10:45 AM
Team RC Member

Re: Re: Most inexpensive auto top off setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie71975
Most Inexpensive that would be 2 hands and a 5 g bucket of SW lol
But that's manual top off, now if you can get your girlfriend to do this for you while your at work (like me) then it's a nice auto top off system, LOL

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 11/28/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Hmmm, with gravity fed I'll be be filling the reservoir constantly, defeats the purpose. The cabinet over the tank might not take the weight of water there. Unless I put a tank in my daughters room which is above the tank and feed a line through the ceiling. Naaaaa, not good, and too much of a project.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I've been looking into auto topping but I have to admit my Aquadose is still working pretty well for me and probably would also on your 90g. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...ua%20dose&Np=1 You still have to lug but less often.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I am looking at http://phishybusiness.com/store/index.php?cPath=27 SpectraPure® Power Liquid Level Controller. For $50 and they are local to me so I can pick it up. It was either that or JBJ ATO controller. I could make one for $30-$40 but for an extra $10-$20 I can avoid screwing it up. I really don't want to learn how to hook up a relay switch. I have the 3 1/2 gph pump and I will stick it in a 10 gallon jug with some Kalk. Set it and forget it.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Most inexpensive auto top off setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
But that's manual top off, now if you can get your girlfriend to do this for you while your at work (like me) then it's a nice auto top off system, LOL
GENIUS!!! I am on that!

37g Tall FOWLR - 30x12x22, Current 2x 65w PC, Seio M620, Marine Life Aquatics Aggressor II HOB Skimmer
Old 11/28/2007, 12:30 PM
Team RC Member

Heres the top off unit I've been eyeballing all week, havn't heard any comments about it as of yet.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ry_Code=Dosers

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 11/28/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Since learning from the mistakes of others can be valuable... my advice is to make sure that you have secured the line in your auto top off that is filling your tank.

A couple of weeks ago, I topped off my hardwood floors wit ha couple of gallons of RODI

Good luck with the project! It's nice to not have to fill your tank on a daily basis, and it provides more consistent salinity.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Yes cardiffgiant!. I can see that happening with the manual setup I have now. I watch that hose. Looking forward to this being done.

papagimp, that is the Aquahub I was looking at. It is only $40 compared to the $50 one from AutoTopoff. I like the bracket better on the one from AutoTopoff. I don't like the Mold-A-Holder on the Aquahub. I might be able to buy the some of the Aquahub parts as I may have the rest in the shop.
Old 11/28/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I went with the dual switch model from auto topoff and I like it so far. I just hooked it up to a small pump and used an old 20 gallon tank as a RD/DI water reservoir.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 11/28/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

If you watch the Equipment Sale forums here and at NR you can generally pick up a good used JBJ for about 25-30 bucks....just be patient....those buckets will build "big man from little mouse" (imagine a russian accent)

Keep your eyes open and stay calm, that's how I got mine.

Mitch