Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Drilling glass the hard way?

How many people have drilled holes in their tank with a dremel? I was thinking about just getting a dremel and cutting the holes that way? I know it'll take like 5 million hours to drill this way but I don't feel like ordering a diamond drill hole saw and waiting for a really long time.

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I have never used a dremel for drilling a tank, but from what I have heard its no more difficult or time consuming than using a diamond hole saw...Most people use the tile saw blade and make a form with a scrap piece of wood to make a guide to get a nice round hole. It can be done free hand, but the hole wont be so pretty.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I am not sure but I think the guy I used to work for used a normal hole saw and some kind of putty and graphite poweder. He mixed the putty and the powder and ran the hole saw backwards and the graphite powder I guess wore thru the glass. Probably not the fastest way to do it, but it worked for him.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I have used a dremel and you will go through alot of bits if the glass is thick. I dremelled a 5.5 gal and it was quick and simple, but i also made a hole bigger on my 90 and that was a pain. so it depends on what you are putting a hole in, and how big it is.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 11/26/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I used a dremel & the diamond cutting wheel to make a hole in a 10G fuge.I made a small 'dam' out of plumber's putting to keep the area cool with water.I then made a number of sraight cuts,as close to the required circular outline needed for the bulkhead.I would say start to finish it took about 30 minutes,but I was cutting using a very slow speed.HTH
Old 11/26/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Just order the hole saw from ebay. The $20 is well worth the wait and the trouble!
Old 11/26/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I did two holes in a 35 Gal hex with a dremmel/rotozip. It was a piece of cake.

So... it should be just as easy on my 75 Gal for a 1.5" Bulkhead right?

Wrong! - I burnt thru all the diamond carbide sanding drums I had, ordered more...ruinied my mandrel.... caused huge chips in the glass....

Then I ordered TWO diamond hole saws from ebay ( assuming that since they were so cheap, I better have a backup! )

They arrived the day they claimed to have shipped them from hong kong ( thats like really fast ), and I was done with the hole on the first bit in less time than I spent changing bits on my dremmel. AND I could probably do 5 more holes with the bit I started with.

Stu
Old 11/26/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

I have done about 10 holes with my cheapy eBay holesaw. On top of that I cut 4-5 holes in solid porcelain tile with it. It has plenty of life left in it.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

if your dealing with thin glass the dremel isn't bad at all, but for anything over 1/4" i would def wait for the hole saw.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Frag-a-holic

If you order the ebay one and then start with the dremel, you will probably just be finishing up when USPS gets there with your hole saw.

About 2 minutes later, you will be done with the 2nd hole.

Save a reef, trade a frag!