Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Caught the little guy!

Must be beginner's luck. But I caught the mantis that came with my live rock. I pulled the rock out where I saw him poke his head out of a hole. As I was doing that, I saw him slip under the rock next to it. I pulled that one out. I saw him slip under the rock next to that one. Well, unfortunately for him, he ran out of real estate and is now residing by himself in a 10 gal tank I had set-up. He's a bright green and only about an inch in length. What should I be feeding him and how often? Will mysis shrimp work? I'm trying to see if a friend at work will want him. If not, I guess I will keep him.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

If you drop a couple of snails and/or hermits in, he can munch on those... he'll also eat krill.

A few things to try...

Can you get a picture up? Or find a picture on here that looks like your Mantis?

I'd suggest you keep it. Mantis' are amazing!

Seahorse: (2) h. Reidi; Highfin Banded Goby; Purple Firefish

Mantis: Peacock Mantis (Milton)
Old 11/25/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Can't get a picture up. But he is bright green all around and only about an inch in legth. He came on a piece of aquacultured rock off the Florida coast. Any guess?
Old 11/26/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Almost certainly Neogonodactylus wennerae.

Dan
Old 11/26/2007, 09:40 AM
Mantis Freak

agreed!
Old 11/26/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

yup, most likely N. wennerae based just on location, but remember that there are a few other possibilities from there as well. A few pics and we could probably tell you for sure.