Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

aqua c remora pro?

i was in the market for a hang on tank skimmer ive heard qiuet a bit of the aquac remora pro skimmer whats ur point of view and are there any other brands you would recomend
Old 11/21/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I have no experience with the remora but some fellow reefers in this thread have used it and swithced to octopus skimmers
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1221868

If moneys not a problem than go for these
Delect mce600 $500
Bermuda rogue $250~
TurboFloater $250~
Old 11/21/2007, 11:13 PM
Always Learning

They seem to be pretty inconsistent with their performance. It seems to be due to the difference in the height of the spray injector, which because they are hand made seems to be a little different for each one.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 11/21/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Its best to just get a in sump skimmer.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

I had one. It worked well. They also make the Urchin which is the in sump model. If you spend another $100 to $200 more you can upgrade to a whole different league of skimmer.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:20 AM
One Good Friend

The remora is pure junk and shouldn't even be sold. Anyhow, whats your budget and do you have a sump. I have a rogue and its freakin awesome. Just breakin in but handling over 900gph and 30-35scfh. For 250 + a nice pump you can't go wrong. It will handle a 75-125g but if your only looking at a 55g or less the octo's seem to be performing well. I would recomend a rogue for a 55g.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

The Remoras are surely not one of the better skimmers.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Remoras are bad.

I would definetly get an in sump skimmer
Old 11/22/2007, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

I've heard it all depends on how it's built. Each one is hand made. I had the upgraded pump on mine and it did a good job on my old 29 gallon. I would def shell out the couple hundred dollars more and get an in sump model from a different company. Check out ASM if you want a decent skimmer but would like to keep the cost reasonable.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

If you have a sump I would definetly recommend an in sump skimmer, but if you dont I ran a Remora w/maxijet 1200 on a 55 for a year once set up correctly and dialed in it would pull out some nasty goo.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Don't buy the Remora....I did. I ended up taking it back to the store and they were not going to refund my money because it was in my tank...I told them that if they could get it working that I would take it back no questions asked. I went back two weeks later and the owner handed me my money back. He couldn't even get it working on his rock curing tank!...he even swore to me that I would be inpressed with the skimmate when he sold it to me! JUNK!
Old 11/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

most skimmers will require some tinkering and fine tuning to make it work best for you aquarium. I have not personally ever used the octopus HOB skimmers but everyone seems to like them and they are cheaper then the remora.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:31 PM
reef addict

i have a remora pro but i switched rio 1400 with a rio 2500 and now the thing works like it should. Just keep spray induction hole clean every so often. Urchin isn't bad skimmer either i like them cause shape easy to fit a urchin in sump with its shape. I'm setting up a 75 gallon with a 32 gallon sump and got a big refugium area but small 5" buy 9" intake area were water drains from tank not much room for any in sump skimmer if so let me know but urchin will fit great, i think remora should put stronger pumps with skimmers. I also have a regular remora with maxi jet 1200 but and it works ok but needs to be better so i'm adding the rio 1400 to it.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

I agree with D.French, the pump it comes with is crap, upgrade it to a higher flow pump and you'll be ok. If I knew then what I do now I would have gone for the Rogue, hands down. My Remora is ok..now that I spent a ton on pumps, oh and dont bother with the skimmer box, its huge! Unless you have space of course!
Old 11/22/2007, 11:52 PM
Generic Member

I've owned several skimmers now and the only one I can say was poor was the Remora Pro (Yes, I tried a bigger pump). Not worth even bothering with. If you have a sump, there is no reason to go with an Urchin either. Pretty much any in sump skimmer will be better.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

wow wish i would have read this thread before now. i just bought a remora from a guy for 125. are they bad overall or just on larger tanks my tank is only 35 gal.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:11 AM
One Good Friend

Used the remora pro with a mag 3, mag 5 mag 7 and extra large collection cup. They all sucked. By far the worst skimmer i've ever purchased and i've hat lots. 90-95% are absolutely terrible. 5-10% skim ok. There QC is absolutely terrible when they are built.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:49 AM
Moved On

No, not the Remora Pro, POS. It never did anything worthwhile on my 90g and I still can't figure out why they sell so many of this junky skimmer.

If you can wait a few months, ATB will probably coming out with their HOB skimmer, which is hinted to have a meshwheel pump that flows through a bubbleplate. It the design really does materialize and work, it's probably going to be the best HOB skimmer in the market.

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
So there are two ideas: A HOB, from the design I have, it would be about 10" wide, 3" thick, and about 16" tall, and run off of a Aquaclear 70 powerhead (pump in the skimmer compartment, not in the tank). As some of you remember from the 'pimp my pump 801' thread, I got it up to 400lph easily with just a threadwheel impeller and a custom volute. These things would be easy for Anton to make. Aimed squarely at other HOB's in the $200-250 range, but this one would produce more air, have a bubble plate, and a variation on the pyramid/cone shape.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:53 AM
reef addict

i empty cup on pro every 4 days works great, just cause its no full all the time doesn't mean it don't work, you may not have a large bio load to pull from. But everyone is entitled to own opinion, i also have a prizm deluxe on 29 gallon and that tank is spottless clean no algae and have a big prizm pro deluxe that i ran on 125 gallon that could pull out more gunk than any other hang on skimmer you can think of with any mod, you just have to know how to adjust it. You dont really need a very expensive huge skimmer anyway for reef tank unless your bad for over feeding or overstocking tank with fish, i only keep certain fish for tank maintenance only a few tangs for algae, wrasse for pest, and a clown/ gbta for ornamental viewing.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:02 AM
Generic Member

My Remora Pro pulled out very little. I had plenty of bioload. Here is what the ASM G2 did in the same system shortly after installation. It did this for awhile until all the excess crud that the Remora didn't touch in the tank was skimmed out, then it settled down. The ASM G2 is a very mediocre skimmer, but was night and day better than the Remora Pro. The ASM easily pulled out in a day more than the Remora would in a week. The G2 was also cheaper.

Last edited by sjm817; 11/23/2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

I Bought a remora pro, Very mediocre performance. Then I got a CSS 220, Total JUNK. Then I got an ASM G3. Bone stock the G3 worked Light years better than the Remora and the CSS 220. I tried every mod i could find to get the first two skimmers to perform, Nothing worked. I have since Recirced the G3 and installed a Euroreef Impeller/Pump. Now the G3 works Awesome. I would still like to have all the $$ back I spent on all of my skimmers. I should have just got aEuro reef or BM and i would have saved $$ and had a better skimmer.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:19 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
No, not the Remora Pro, POS. It never did anything worthwhile on my 90g and I still can't figure out why they sell so many of this junky skimmer.

If you can wait a few months, ATB will probably coming out with their HOB skimmer, which is hinted to have a meshwheel pump that flows through a bubbleplate. It the design really does materialize and work, it's probably going to be the best HOB skimmer in the market.
Couldn't agree more with you about the remora but as for the ATB hot skimmer, it'll pry be 500-700 bux as there skimmers are waaaaay overpriced. My bermuda rogue is pulling over 30scfh for around 300bux after the pump and all. If the atb pulls more air han that i'll be very very surprised.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

ASM are Euro-Reef knock offs. From what I've heard they are great for the $$$.

Deltec also makes this which you could try.
Old 11/24/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

ASM are not that much cheaper anymore.

If this is for your 80 gallon get a DAS EX1, great little skimmer. Well worth the $$$
Old 11/24/2007, 09:38 AM
Generic Member

ASMs are not ER knockoffs. They were a good bang for the $ skimmer at one time, but that is no longer the case.