Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 03:00 PM
Island Jumper

SPS Tank In Natural Light

Decided to snap a few shots of my tank with natural light screaming through the window. It is amazing how different they look under artificial and natural lighting.

Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.

Last edited by fijiblue; 11/21/2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Some beautiful color in there. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11/21/2007, 05:04 PM
Nothing to put here

My tank is in front of a window, and even with the blinds closed and the back painted back some light gets in around 12-3 before the halides come on. After 3 when the halides come on it drows out the natural light. Everything looks very drab and brown when only the sunlight and actinics are on.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Amazing
Old 11/21/2007, 05:09 PM
saltwater in my veins

Nice, do you have normal FTS shot to compare?

It seems like anything close to pink really stands out under NSL...
Old 11/21/2007, 05:25 PM
Island Jumper

HBtank - I don't have any recent shots, but this one is a month or two old...
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Wow you have some very colorful SPS in there! It looks great! What bulbs are you running in that fixture? I don't like my Ushio 14k's. They wash out some colors. I have 4 t5's that I am running actinics on. Any bulb (spectrum) in particular that you think adds some color to everything? For example, my purple is washed out and almost grey...
Old 11/21/2007, 06:05 PM
Island Jumper

ahullsb - Thank you!

I think it is all in the combo of spectrums. I used to use 3 ATI BP and 3 ATI ABS and thought the colors were too washed out. Mixed a few ATI PC's in there and loved the look, but hated the PAR loss. As of current, I run 2 ATI ABS, 3 ATI BP and 1 UV AS. if overdriven, switch out a BP and UV AS with 2 ATI PC's and it looks pretty sweet (the older pic).
Old 11/21/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Great looking tank, the proof of you doing a great job is in your tank. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:05 AM
King of the Apes

Nice job with the pinks/reds.. looks very nice.. would love to see larger resolution shots of the full tank shot.. looks like some great stuff.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:50 AM

nice warm colors
Old 11/22/2007, 11:39 AM
Island Jumper

No close-ups until 1 year which is 5 more months. I wanted to wait until one year to post, but I got a little over excited I guess
Old 11/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Fiji: Where did you get the bank of fans you are using to cool your T5s? That looks like a good idea for my 45 gallon lighting system.

Tank looks awesome BTW!
Old 11/23/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

nice looking corals!
Old 11/23/2007, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

What size tank is that?
Old 11/23/2007, 09:21 AM
Island Jumper

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

02REDZ28 - Got them from DFS...here is a link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&Ntt=fans&Np=1

Grunt007 - the tank is a 30 gallon (36 x 12 x 16)...wanted to make it as close to a nano as I possibly could without losing the space for coral!
Old 11/23/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

great looking tank,the natural light look is cool.what brand fans are on top of you tank?
Old 11/23/2007, 09:34 AM
Island Jumper

Quote:
great looking tank,the natural light look is cool.what brand fans are on top of you tank?
See previous link
Old 11/23/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

I thought it was a "smaller" tank b/c of the fish selection. Very nicely done!
BTW where do you get your frags? Locally or online? You have some very nice looking pieces.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Absolutely stunning! Look at those colors. WOW! Love your aquascape, too.

I enjoy looking at my tank as well when the afternoon sun hits it. Looks different then, perhaps closer to natural color?

Thanks so much for sharing.

---
Wendy
Old 11/23/2007, 04:13 PM
Island Jumper

Quote:
BTW where do you get your frags? Locally or online? You have some very nice looking pieces.
Mostly trading with local reefers, but I do occasionally pick out a nice piece or two from the LFS.
Old 11/23/2007, 04:25 PM
AEFW Survivor

super clean tank, Great aquascaping, low bioload, thoughtful coral placement and great colors!

What more could you ask for!

When are you going to upgrade? LOL!
Old 11/23/2007, 04:58 PM
Island Jumper

Thank you everybody for the really nice comments.

SERVO - I like smaller tanks. The largest reef I would go would probably be a 4' 120, but I don't see that happening anytime soon I want to add a small tang to the mix, but im not sure if that is too much with 2 anthias, 1 md fairy wrasse and a damsel.
Old 11/23/2007, 05:28 PM
TANK RAIDER!

fiji very very nice-glad the tank is doing great.
great job.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:44 PM
Island Jumper

Got my hands on a PAR meter (thanks Bubbletip) and took some numbers if anyone is interested...