Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Florida Marine Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Sure is quiet here....

....is that cricket i hear?
Old 11/20/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Maybe everyone is diving in Florida and don't need reef tanks.

Not much to see out here in California. Toooooo cold..
Old 11/21/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

I am busy trying not to kill my stuff
Mandarin Goby.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Shh keep it down.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Got some good news for all !

A brand new reef store open.Driving time is about 4 hours,one way.
They had 10 tanks 180 gallons and stock to the gills with corals.I hit 5 reef store within the state,and this one was tops.Only open 4 months.The shop blew my mind as for the way he layed out these tanks .A must see shop.Not sure about giving names here on RC.But those who know me,can fill you in then.
The store is still not done.Limited at this time on SPS corals,but they are coming in time.But as for LPS corals awesome selection.I never saw so many Zoo's in my life.A web site is coming,and order on line is in the works to.To say the least a great find
A hidden gem at this time.But I'm sure it won't take long before other folks know about this store.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:56 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Why not go to Sea in the City in Orlando, or one of the other dozens of awesome stores in Orlando if you're going be driving that far. In fact, I'm sure there are tons of other cities with awesome stores within 4 hours driving time one way... High Tide is definitely a tight store for being 10 minutes away. If you want/need it, Scott will get it.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Scott.store here local to all of us.A super guy.I made this road trip to the Keys,Turkey weekend.Hit 2 stores in South Florida,and nothing to write home about.Didn't buy a thing there.Then I hit Orlando,Sea in the City.Small shop a very small collection,another disappointment.Also hit Aqua Aquatics I think that's the name.And again walked out with nothing in my cooler
So this lead me to a tip here.
www.wideworldcorals.com
Jack pot ! With these guys.Only up and running 4 months,and still has finished yet.He is loaded to the gills with any kind of LPS you can think of ! Even saw a huge colony of the Tyree Watermelon Chalice.The SPS corals he is still not done there.But his store,blows the others out of the water.I've never scene so many Zoo's in my life.He sells whole colonies,but you can get the same in frags.You actually have a choice !Victor is a really nice guy.Clean systems,and what and automated system he has.Ever see a system set up,when you do a water change don't even get wet !.I was impressed,to say the least.
I make these road trips to get corasls Scott can't get.But in the long run.I do bring corals to him.When growth is and issue,they go to him.He is happy and so am I.We both win out here.
Yep, another road trip Xmas week, Orlando and fill the cooler
Old 12/07/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Sorry about that
www.worldwidecorals.com
Old 12/29/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tip. Finnally going to retire your old 180. After a long and happy life she is going to the turtle.
Cya
Dave
Old 12/29/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey Dave.
Sorry to hear the Old boy is going to the grave yard.It's scene a lot of corals and fish in it's day that's for sure.
I just got back from WWC last night.Hit 3 reefers stores,and loaded up the cooler again
But now I;m like the rest of the folks,and empty wallet !
Even my tank is to nuch to keep up.If and when it will be.I actually want to down size,it you can believe that.Just way to much work over a long term. And especially cost factorIf I had a smaller tank could buy more cherries,that I can't get now I guess just getting to be and "old fart".
I also just heard about another store,these last few days.Mmmmm
Old 12/30/2007, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Yea she has been a great box of glass. But the turtle will think she is in heaven. She will have a couple of metal halides and lotsa more room as she is in a 75 now and that is really too small. Hopefully for me the larger system will be less maitenance as I wll combine all my tanks into the new one and the sump. Iam also going to plumb a drain straight out into the back yard for syphon water and the top offs and new salt drums will all be plumbed in so no more buckets. Going to make a lot of room in the house as the other sytems are all over the place. We also need my fish room for the new baby so it will free that up for her as welll. Pretty hyped, but what a project. Wonder why they call it an obsession heh?
cya
Dave
Old 12/30/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Dave,
Maybe if you have the time,before all this get's under way.If you can go see WWC in his web site,those are 180 tanks you and 10 of them at that.I was amazed the way he did all this plumbing.He can do a water change without getting his hand wet.And on a smaller scale it would be a piece of cake
Then when we were there,he got a shipment in from Atlantis(Ming and Joleen).My jaw dropped I was able to see first more of Atlantis stuff first,other than pictures.Well you got it I was on the phone adding to my order.I'm getting one next Friday,and had to add this 1 more I saw in this shipment that arrive at WWC.
Back to WWC he has a show tank of his own corals,it's another 180 it was a killer,with the goods he had in their,all exotics.A look but don't touch set up.Also he added the new LD Llights to it also.It looked good before,that.I asked myself,how much better do you want it.It was awesome as it was.But the colors were even more intense.Anything that was red in there,looked like it was on fire.A must see shop.Not so much of a store/more the lines of a warehouse.He more into selling the exotics,and Sselection of frags.It's just 3 young guys,that put this all together.A dream come true for these 3 reefers.This was in the planning stages I think he said the last 10 years.Could be wrong on that.A still small amount of the SPS,but they aren't done yet either.Plus he got another set up somewhere else with corals,nobody really can see.But if you look at it,the SPS market is really dead.Everyone has the same stuff.The flavor has been LPS corals,and seem it's going to be like that a long time.The divers are only going to bring in what the buyer will buy.And that's LPS corals.I just now starting looking at more and more LPS corals.Got a few and more are on the way Friday. I know a good friend with a 550 SPS and has probably over 200 different SPS corals,and is having a hard time even selling them like before.And most are all high end SPS.I could get anything I wanted.But even myself haven't had that much interests either.Sorry for this book here,got carried away.