Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 09:24 PM
How many is too many?

OT - exterminator

Does anyone have a recomendation of an affordable exterminator in Nassau County. I seem to have a flea problem. Im sure glad my cats are indoor cats Ive previously tried bombing the house myself and ended up hiring an exterminator anyway the last time i had this problem. So far ive been quoted $500 for 6 rooms and my basement......... Seems kinda pricey.
Old 11/20/2007, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

just from experience, we had a flea problem years ago and we were only able to get rid of them after we sprayed both the house and the yard. every time we had just the house sprayed they would be back in no time. but our cats and dogs were outside all the time. good luck
Old 11/20/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: OT - exterminator

If you want an inexpensive DYI, then go to home depot and buy the spray defoggers that make you leave your house for 2 hours. You need one for each room. Cats must leave house. In addition, if it's in the fish tank room, just cover it with a drop cloth. Also open windows for the suggested time frame on package.

This is very cheap. After you are done, places like the the kitchen counters have to be wiped clean and the floors would also have to be done. So there is work to do, however, you will save a fortune.

Sometimes, if the animals bring the stuff in from the yard, you may have to do it again, if the problem re-enters.

Obviously, you also should wash your animals in a bath.

You can also spot spray with stuff in all of the corners of the house. This is good, on pests that are not everywhere. I usually, try this first and only go to the whole house defogger when that does not work.

Hope this helps.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 11/20/2007, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

I agree with Larry. And do NOT get the cheapest stuff from walmart - it doesn't work. I did this years ago and it worked. You might well have to do it again after a certain amount of time, as the fleas go through different stages. If you see them again, don't delay. I also highly recommend treating the cats with Frontline. It is the best preventive. I found that treating the animals, in effect, treated the house. I HATE fleas - I am the flea detector in my house because I get bit first. Haven't had em in 5 years, thank goodness.
Old 11/20/2007, 01:46 PM
How many is too many?

Thanks guys. The cats are treated with frontline. They are flea free. However i did this after seeing the fleas so it didnt help the house. I found an exterminator thats half what i was previously quoted. He is licensed and does this on the side and now im down to $225 to $250 which i find reasonable so hes coming tommorrow He is spraying Precor and also Tempo and huarantees the results. Clean up isnt bad as its put down with a sprayer as opposed to an aerosol flea bomb.
Old 11/20/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

If you use aerosol bombs make sure to turn off gas burning appliances and their pilot lights. Saw a report years ago about people blowing up their houses by using them. The cans use propane as the propellant.
Old 11/20/2007, 05:48 PM
10 & Over Club

Make sure your tanks are well covered and sealed off while he's spreading that stuff around.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/20/2007, 06:00 PM
How many is too many?

He isnt using bombs but spraying everything with a sprayer. Also i have several disposable drop cloths to cover my tanks with.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

there was actually an episode of mythbusters where they tried to blow up a house using flea bombs. i dont remember what they decided.
Old 11/20/2007, 09:18 PM
10 & Over Club

IIRC they had to pull out the stops to get an explosion, but an explosion they got

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

It was a 20 / 20 or dateline show probably 15 years ago. A few different people had been charged with arson . Their lawyers were unable to find the cause so a few remained in jail. It was the 20/ 20 lawyers that were able to find that propane was used as the propellant. One guy triggered the explosion by turning on the lights. The story freaked me out because a few years earlier i used probably 3 times the amount i needed to make sure i killed every criitter in our new unoccupied house. Luckily the heating system and pilots in the basement were off. Could have been quite a first day of home ownership!
Old 11/21/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

yeah i think on mythbusters they had to use something like 10 times the suggested amount and use an open flame not just a spark to ignite it. but under the right conditions i'm sure anything could happen.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:08 PM
How many is too many?

My problems are solved and my fish still swimming Im flea free!! Yayy!
Old 11/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

congrats, that was quick