Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 10:48 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Question Vortech group buy interest

Was wondering who would be interested in a Vortech propeller powerhead group buy.

Will be finding out the price, but hoping for less than $344. delivered each...

These are the powerheads that have variable speeds from 500-3000 GPH and supposed to have a very wide path of water flow...
Old 11/16/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Are those the pumps with the external motors? Its a good idea, but WAY overpriced.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Maybe Brent can voice his opinion on them in this group buy thread.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:56 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Chris, they are...both the pump with the external motor and way over priced...they are $400-410 everywhere but but petsolutions and I am trying to get them even cheaper than the 344. but would need to find 10 interested parties.

The Koralea (spelling may be wrong) is simply too large and not enough flow coming out. I think I would want 3 or 4 of them in the tank but would hate the way they look.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:01 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Re: Vortech group buy interest

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
Was wondering who would be interested in a Vortech propeller powerhead group buy.

Will be finding out the price, but hoping for less than $344. delivered each...

These are the powerheads that have variable speeds from 500-3000 GPH and supposed to have a very wide path of water flow...
I'll be following this thread closely as I'm very interested in seeing what happens. For those that don't know what the Vortech is here's a link to the Eco Tech Marine website:
http://www.ecotechmarine.com/

the Vortech looks like an awesome idea and it's made in America!

quoted from the EcoTech website:

VorTech Propeller Pump - MP40
The VorTech is beautiful and designed with simplicity in mind. A magnetic couple transmits motion through your aquarium glass and clamps the assembly against your tank. This means you won’t have to drill your aquarium, and that you can easily reposition the pump somewhere else in the aquarium without having to move around complicated and awkward brackets.

The VorTech is the smallest propeller pump on the market when you consider how little space it occupies inside the aquarium. The motor is outside of the aquarium, meaning the VorTech may be positioned where it will be least visible. The VorTech is elegantly discreet both in and outside your aquarium.

Flow
The VorTech produces from 500 to 3,000 gallons per hour of low velocity gentle water current. The flow is so impressive and broad, that it actually creates an undertow along your sand bed. You will notice an equal amount of flow going out of your pump as you will see going back into it! Moreover, because the flow pattern is so wide, there is no reason to direction the flow, simply place the pump on the back or sides of your aquarium and flow will be created throughout the whole tank.

Energy Savings
The VorTech is one of the most efficient pumps on the market, consuming approximately 35 watts to produce 3000 gallons per hour. More importantly, all of the heat put out from the motor is outside of your aquarium, meaning you won’t have to invest in costly chillers to keep your tank cool.

Battery Backup Accessory
The VorTech Battery Backup will power one pump for up to 30 hours or two pumps for 15 hours each. Alternatively, multiple battery backups can plugged in to each other to provide even more run time during a power outage. There is no other product that detects an outage and provides as much insurance for so little money.

Wave Motion
Our new wireless wave driver will enable an MP40 pump to be upgraded to an MP40W model, providing pulsing-wave algorithms and allowing the creation of standing surface waves in most aquariums. It also features a feed mode allowing you to shut your pumps down for 10 minutes with the press of a button.

Specifications
Flow: 500-3000 gallons per hour
Power Consumption: 12-35 watts
Maximum Motor Temperature: 50-60 degrees Celsius
Aquarium Wall Thickness Range: 3/16”-3/4”
Appropriate Tank Size Range: 20-500+ gallons
Dimensions: Wet Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long, Dry Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long
Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3”

From what I've seen posted by those using them the Vortech is most similar in performance to the Tunze Stream 6001.

Here's a video of a Vortech in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A
Old 11/17/2007, 11:33 AM
Wish coral grew faster

What I like most is its small footprint in the tank compared to its power.
Old 11/17/2007, 01:12 PM
Wish coral grew faster

No one else?
Old 11/17/2007, 01:18 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Kurt- this is a brand new thread... you gotta give it some time!
I would suspect interest within URS will be somewhat limited and you might find people outside our forum that are interested...
Old 11/17/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I maybe in for one...but would depend on pricing...
Old 11/17/2007, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

yeah, bigger purchases require more time to get finances in order before committing.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:34 PM
One Millionth Poster

I like the made in America.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Wish coral grew faster

I really want to get the added flow so went ahead and ordered one, should be here Friday.

If enough interest gets drummed up in the future I could give someone the information and they could work it out with the vendor.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:09 AM
yes it's my aquarium

lucky you!
I hinted to my wife that I'd like a Vortech for Christmas.
This probably means I'll get a nice sweater instead

I might need to take drastic measures in order to secure a Vortech

In the meantime, I anxiously await your review of it.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:38 AM
Wish coral grew faster

I did not ask permission...I would have been told no.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

they are very nice pumps, we have 2 on our zoo tank. the tank is a 180 and we had to turn them down to about 1/2 speed. way to much flow for the tank with them both turned up. it is nice having the motor outside the tank because when it is turned up it produces alot of heat. the bad part about it is that the motor and the impellor on the inside of the tank have to be exactly lined up or it tends to run very hott. we have them both about 6-8 inch below the surface and they have a very wide flow, enought to adgitate the surface so that it sometimes splashes, and that is about half power...just so you have an idea of how much they really do flow. but other than after you get them dialed in they are great. but for the price i dont think i could justify spending that much when i need other things first like cal reactor, reef keeper, larger tank...lol...just my experiance and opinion.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:16 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Quote:
I did not ask permission...I would have been told no.
Someone once told me that it's easier to apologize after the fact than it is to ask permission...
Old 11/21/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Chris, they are...both the pump with the external motor and way over priced...they are $400-410 everywhere but but petsolutions and I am trying to get them even cheaper than the 344. but would need to find 10 interested parties.

The Koralea (spelling may be wrong) is simply too large and not enough flow coming out. I think I would want 3 or 4 of them in the tank but would hate the way they look.
you may find some cheaper ones like at-
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default....temID=12517677

but they are the older ones that don't come with the new Wireless Wave Driver Upgrade, only adjustable constant speed.

You can upgrade to the new wave drivers here if you have an older pump-
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...p?cPath=68_122

If you see the pump prices over $400, that means its the newer one that comes with the Wireless Wave Driver. They just came out a month ago.

I have two of the newer ones with the wave drivers. I like them but are they worth the money, probably not. They can be noisy too. Especially when in pulse mode (wave mode).
Old 11/21/2007, 05:43 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Thats the one I bought, even if an old model I can have it shut on and off for wave action. We shall see when it arrives, did not realize it was the 'older' model when ordering it.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thats the one I bought, even if an old model I can have it shut on and off for wave action. We shall see when it arrives, did not realize it was the 'older' model when ordering it.
its not a problem, for the wave like action you'll need to get the new-
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=1840

you'll might only be out a few bucks.

the wet and dry sides are same, no changes.

here's the pump with new driver-
The Votech Wireless MP40-W Wave Pump
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=2085

petsolutions.com should have on their website that the pumps they're selling are discontinued and don't come with the new Wireless Wave Driver that all vortech pumps will be soon coming with and the price will be $420. You'll see when you get it in the mail it (driver) will have a metal casing when the new drivers are plastic.

Look at it this way if you ever have problems with your driver you will always have a backup with your old standard driver if you purchase the new wave upgrade for $75.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

So, whats happening with the group buy??? Im interested in getting one but the new MP40W, not the older version.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:22 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Once 10 people were interested, I could ask Mike what he would sell them for. I was using the incorrect pump as a starting point, but am sure he would work out a deal.

The starting point on the new pumps is around $410 not sure how much below that he would be willing to go if the pumps at petsolutions are the older model. Mine will be here on Monday (forgot that Thursday was a holiday)
Old 11/25/2007, 08:46 PM
...this is only a test...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
lucky you!
I hinted to my wife that I'd like a Vortech for Christmas.
This probably means I'll get a nice sweater instead
Old 11/25/2007, 10:02 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I'll have to show her that, Mike... but I'll wait until she's in a playful mood.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

I love the look of it but I'm not willing to spoend that much on one yet.
Old 11/26/2007, 06:52 PM
Reef Tank Addict

If I didnt have tunzes for my 210,

I'd be in for one...