Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 09:46 PM
Moved On

WATERMELON chalice?

Where can I find one?
Old 11/13/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Try AtlantisAquarium.com and Fragglereef.com. Both have a variey of great Chalice corals.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:50 PM
Moving Along

Re: WATERMELON chalice?

Quote:
Originally posted by pufferperson
Where can I find one?
Just look for the loooong line

-Justin
Old 11/14/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

He is no longer a member here, but here is one off Ebay.
ebay
Old 11/14/2007, 07:07 PM
Got that Anger!

The one on that ebay link doesnt look very impressive

Hopefully he fails at picture taking
Old 11/15/2007, 02:25 AM
Member Registered

Yeah I just wrote to that person to ask lineage because it doesn't look much like the Tyree one. It looks like they found a wild colony and they are selling it as Tyree.
Old 11/15/2007, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

I can't tell you if it's real or not, it's just an auction I bumped in to.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Matt, I thought the same thing when I saw the picture, despite poor camera skills or not.

Keep checking the For Sale threads here on RC, they come up every now and again.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Are you asking where can you get a pink or red watermelon LE or a chalice that looks like a watermelon with no traceable linage?Have you found what you are looking for?
Old 11/16/2007, 10:23 AM
Moved On

I'd probably prefer the Tyree version. But, the one on eBay is very very nice... a bit out of my budget though.. I wonder how much it will end for.
Old 11/16/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Well if it sell for close or near the current bid that thing will be a steal if it has traceable linage.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

There are several reputable sellers for the Tyree version that sell in the selling forum. Do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable source with known lineage. I have never seen such a big Tyree watermelon in person, and I doubt that ebay seller has either. Not even close puff.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:06 PM
Member Registered

It doesn't have traceable lineage. The owner said he picked it up at a farmers market and can't verify if it is Tyrees. Oh well. Honestly I don't think it is. No way am I paying $2000 for that.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:23 AM
Makin it Rain

i have the Reeftec watermelon 2 look just like the one the guy is selling
Old 11/17/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G Blenny
It doesn't have traceable lineage. The owner said he picked it up at a farmers market and can't verify if it is Tyrees. Oh well. Honestly I don't think it is. No way am I paying $2000 for that.
That's interesting. Selling an unconfirmed Tyree as an original. It's hard to argue what he's getting for it as of right now though.

I wish mine would grow faster.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

That Ebay auction Watermelon does not look like the Tyree Original Pink Watermelon to me, or any other Tyree Watermelon (Bazooka, Red, Jayda's). The Pink started with Ron at Reeftec, and every pic I have seen looks vibrant and beautiful.
Old 11/17/2007, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

What a scammer. He did not get it at a farmer's market and it was not labeled as a Tyree watermelon. I've noticed over the months that several of his past sales had false info also.
The seller used to frequent RC but has since been moved on. hmm
Old 11/17/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

I'm REALLY suspicious that he is saying "no local pickups" - do you think he's anticipating a disappointed buyer?
Old 11/17/2007, 03:48 PM
Moved On

Hey guys, thanks so much for this thread, I was winning that chalice on ebay and also assumed poor picture taking skills. But after what algblenny said I have retracted all my bids on that item, thanks!!!!!!!!!!

-SecretAgentMan
Old 11/17/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member.

That colony...(not frag) looks like the one that was sold several times already...one of which was to a friend that won and could not get it if he did not pay 5k (The aution price was $2500) His response was " what are you going to do? Give me a bad feedback" Buyer beware...............
Old 11/18/2007, 12:18 PM
Member Registered

I also asked the person what the reserve price is because I hate reserves. They just waste the potential buyers time. What if the reserve is $2000 but the bid is $200. I don't want to keep bidding on it until I find out what the buyer wants. Why is there a reason to hide how much you want? It's just stupid if you ask me. Anyway he "didn't feel comfortable" disclosing that information. That is so lame.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:42 PM
Member Registered

I can't take the credit for this figuring this one out but the persons name that started the thread is pufferperson. The person selling the coral on Ebay is pufferpunk. The person that posted the link to the ebay listing lives in the same state as the person that started the thread. In fact they live less than an hour away from each other. The auction location is in Indiana but it's not like that is far from Illinois. They share a border. Add to that the fact that pufferperson registered in Nov. 07' and we have a commercial poster here. Anyone see a mod anywhere?
Old 11/19/2007, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Please don't imply that I am him, I AM NOT. I just happen to have an obsession with Tyree corals and I just happened to see an auction on Ebay. I do not know him, have never met him, nor am I selling this piece. I do have a Watermelon Chalice, but mine has lineage.

Last edited by broke1; 11/19/2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:07 PM
Member Registered

I wasn't implying that you were him. I was implying that you knew him. If I am wrong, I am sorry. It still seems strange that someone so close to him happened to post a link to his auction after he started a thread.

Any comments pufferperson?
Old 11/19/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Matt, you aren't the only person to make that link. Pufferperson also wrote how the chalice on ebay was "very, very nice" even though everyone else sees it is not what is listed. It does appear to me to be a post designed to bring attention to the ebay auction. Having said that, I have dealt with a previous RC member who I believe is the ebay seller. I sold him several watermelon chailces that I believe he has tried to sell on here and on ebay as Tyree. Most times when he sold them on RC, my posts contradicting lineage were edited or removed. Its really a shame.