Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

T5 vs VHO

I wanna put my extra icecap 660 to use.

Do you guys think it would be better to use 2x 72" VHO @ 160 watts each

or

3X60" @54 watt T5's

I'm currently running 4x96 PC 72" current orbit system. I wanna put all 10k into this fixture and use the t5 or vho as actinic bulbs

I guess the vho would be the cheaper option? I dont have reflector and as far as I understand each t5 needs their own reflector?
Old 11/14/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

bumpididump
Old 11/14/2007, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

You will get more useable light into the tank with the T5 bulbs assuming you use the IceCap SLR reflectors.

The T5 60" bulbs are 80W not 54W.

So 240W of T5 vs 320W of T12

The T5 reflectors are MUCH more efficient and will put more light into the tank
Old 11/14/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

In the meantime I read something about that the icecap 660 wont power the t5 if its too old? is this true?
Old 11/14/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

I think some of the earlier models were not setup to run them. Call IC with the serial number and they will let you know.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

it is partially true. Ballasts that are from 1995 or ealier may fire your t5s but those have old parts that were not ready for t5s and the extra stress on it migh burn it and icecap doesnt have the parts to fix this old ones.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

downfall with T5 is that they need to be close to the water and the reflectors get marked and dirty very fast. you have to keep them clean all the time. I like VHO myself as one quick wipe and the lamp is clean. also the T5 reflectors get destroyed pretty fast with the salt creep.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

john, i clean my t5 reflectors maybe once every 3 months at most, the only way i can see anything getting on them is if there are bubbles in the tank or fish are splashing them. Your tank definitely shouldn't have bubbles in it and fish rarely splash them. If you have to clean your reflectors often you need to figure out why that is cause you definitely shouldn't have to. They are super easy to clean to if you have the icecaps, just pop them off and clean them with vinegar. T5HO is far superior to VHO in every aspect except maybe the UV Superactinic bulb, but with the right T5 bulbs you can get the same look and get far more output per watt. It really is a no brainer anymore to go with T5HO over VHO.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

While I LOVE Icecap, they will over-drive your actinic, making them whiter. Personally I would recommend VHO as actinic supplementation, or perhaps sell your ballast and get a regular HO ballast to run Blue+ bulbs.

Or you might fill the PC fixture with actinic and drive some HO daylight bulbs with your Icecap.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

this picture says it all and yes I've owned them as well. not bashing anyone, just stating facts. polished metal at that closeness to saltwater will get marked very fast. even people who've owned PFO MH reflectors get damage after a few short years.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1233738

this causes the light to not to be as effective now doesn't it.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

it definitely causes the light to not be as effective, but there is no reason why you should constantly have to clean reflectors if your have your tank plumbed correctly cause water should not be splashing them often = fact as well. I'm guessing you had some really crazy fish that splashed them alot or a source of bubbles that were bursting and slowly causing a build up.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:09 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by JC VT
While I LOVE Icecap, they will over-drive your actinic, making them whiter. Personally I would recommend VHO as actinic supplementation, or perhaps sell your ballast and get a regular HO ballast to run Blue+ bulbs.

Or you might fill the PC fixture with actinic and drive some HO daylight bulbs with your Icecap.
I tend to agree with this with 4' and shorter bulbs, but the 5' bulbs only get driven to 100 watts each at the outlet (so 3x100watts). This is a mild overdrive (which seems to result in a huge boost in output). A normal 80 watt bulb on a spec T5 ballast will run the bulbs with about 95 watts at the socket... so 100 watts is a very mild overdrive in comparison to say... the 54watt bulbs (usually about 64 watts each at the outlet) which get overdriven to 80 watts each by the IC660. The IC660 and 5' bulbs are a very good match.

Still, just due to the sheer output of the blue+ bulbs over the actinics, I would use them instead. Most halides, even 10,000Ks, have loads of actinic (420nm) in their output already, what they really lack is blue (450-460nm).