Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 02:36 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Looking for ideas on light placement and luminarc size.

OK

Not sure what I want to do here but here is the issue I see. I am wasting a lot of light with the current way I have my lights set up.

As many of you know I have a center overflow and I also have 2 glass cross braces. I am putting out some nice PAR into my overflow. It is too bad it does not grow. I am also getting a shading effect from my cross braces, I try and keep them clean but with the wavebox the sloshing across the bottom of those gets it messy pretty quick.

Here is a picture of my current setup. It is done from memory and may not be 100% to scale but it is pretty close. Currently I am using all mini Luminarc's with 400W SE bulbs alternating 10k and 20k bulbs.

I am thinking of replacing the 2 outside luminarc's with the larger full size ones. I am thinking this will get me more spread under the cross braces. For the 2 sides of the overflow boxes I was thinking of trying to find a fixture that pushed the light into more of a rectangle. I am still not sure what to do with the other two mini's as where I have them in this drawing would still have them shaded by the glass.

Anyone have any ideas on other ways I could make this more efficient? I do realize I would probably have to go with a single bulb color with this idea too.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

How about MH on the outside that you have proposed and then put T5's as supplements on either side of the overflow which will give you a retecangular pattern in front and in back of that overflow.

T5's give some pretty great light and I think it might look nice as a compliment to the large lumenarcs.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:50 PM
Flips....R'U ?

Ted

Go w/ the large Lumen Bright reflector, I got 2 in my frag tank and its super awesome. This reflector got 25 facets, all light energy concentrated in the tank. 2 feet above the tank and the bottom of the tank still glowing. I'm thinkin of replacing all my old reflectors in my 300 gal.

Here, this is the place to get'em Reef Specialty 773 851 3861

Menard

Last edited by menard; 11/13/2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

I second Menard recomendation. These reflectors are SUPER, SUPER awsome. Nothing like them on the market. They will also be great if you plan on having them on the sides of your tank, These reflectors direct most of the light within the aquarium and at great levels.

I love mine, I can't recommend them enough. You really have to see these reflectors in person to really appreciate them.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Here's a thread about them

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1211402
Old 11/13/2007, 03:29 PM
Discontented Reefer

Not exactly sure what the dimensions you are working with are, but what about something like this?

Last edited by ppurcell; 11/13/2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 03:36 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

For size the tank is 36 wide by 10 feet long.

I am really trying hard to stay all with Halides too. I am a true believer in them. If I use something other then a halide it will be for actinics.

Looks like the Lumenbright large is 20" X 9" Where the mini luminarc I have now is 14.5" by 6"

I am almost thinking 4 big Lumenbrights and then finding maybe a new rectangle reflector for the sides of the overflow. I will measure when I get home tonight.

Ted
Old 11/13/2007, 03:52 PM
Discontented Reefer

Ok, this is probably a little closer to actual scale. I estimated the width of the braces and the size of the overflow. The rest is based on the size of the tank and the published size of the fixtures in the drawing.

Old 11/13/2007, 04:22 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by canar

I am really trying hard to stay all with Halides too. I am a true believer in them. If I use something other then a halide it will be for actinics.
Ted
I don't think anything less would make a difference on a tank that size.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/13/2007, 04:52 PM
Discontented Reefer

I guess I'm bored today. A couple more configurations:

Old 11/13/2007, 04:55 PM
Fish what? Look @ me

I second the Lumen brights...great reflectors. 4 bigs ones would do plus the rectangle reflectors you speak of. No matter what there will be some shading from the braces. It's nearly impossible to keep them clean especially using waveboxes. When dealing with the braces I would try to keep the lumen brights closer together thus doubling the light penetration through the brace. Since your rockwork is positioned off of the glass you don't need the reflector positioned close to the edges of the tank.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Go with Menard's suggestion, Lumen brights from Reef Specialty. You can call Mike at Reef Specialty if you have any questions. He's very knowledgable and local. Check the Reef Specialty website. It's still under construction, but I think these are on there.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:43 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

I may have some Luminarc mini's for sale soon for cheap!
Old 11/13/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Yea I unloaded mine Lumenarcs the same night after seeing the LumenBrights on Mikes tank with the reflectors above it. "Acropora Nut". I promise that Getting LB will be one of the best things you can do for your tank.

I also agree with makdoogle, Mike @ Reef Specialty is a great guy to deal with and knows what he is talking about. Give him a call and see if you can see the LB reflectors first hand.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Just call Reef Depot in Lombard...I was there yesterday and he had them. He has got the most awesome corals also.

I didn't know Acropora Nut was a dealer...wasn't he TOTM a couple of months ago? I thought TOTM was for personal tanks only.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

He was TOTM for Sept, but he was chosen for that before he started his business. I think he said he was chosen for TOTM several months before it actually posted.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

robsee06: don't worry about Acroporanut he has done nothing wrong and RC is aware of his business venture as they are in the process of RC sponsorship.

Canar I would contact Mike and see the reflectors first hand on his tank and see if this lighting set up will work for you. You can also come and see mine above my tank but I only have the minis...

Old 11/13/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

pm sent on three used Luminarc III's in excellent condition.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canar

Looks like the Lumenbright large is 20" X 9" Where the mini luminarc I have now is 14.5" by 6"

I am almost thinking 4 big Lumenbrights and then finding maybe a new rectangle reflector for the sides of the overflow. I will measure when I get home tonight.

Ted
Just in short canar,

I think you will do fine with 5 large LumenBrights across your 10 ft tank. Your tank is 36 wide so the large ones should suffice. I would not worry too much about the light cut out by the crossbraces. I have already noticed that the light through my glass crossbrace is not significantly reduced by my own eye. Wait until the next couple days when I get my par numbers up in a post and I think you will be quite surprised how much light will get through your glass granted you keep it clean. The amount of crossover light you will have with five large LB's will be phenominal. I would recommend a height of 16-18 inches based on your need for spread and the current par tests that are out on the other thread JRAquatics listed.
Old 11/13/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Hey canar, have you ever thought of having a custom acrylic piec cut for your center overflow in dark acrylic to keep the light out of there. May cost you $75-$100. I am sure Doug Lehman could work somethign out for you.

Then you will bne able to do 5 larges and have optimal light everywhere in the tank. If you are worried about losign light because of the glass centerbraces then keep some LPS or montis there but really I think you will be quite surprised to see how much light you will get under the braces.

I have my Apogee meter comign tomorrow and will be able to give you a good idea of how much light is lost. I am guestimatign 10-15%. 10-15percent of 400-700 µmol·m˛·sec from top to bottom comes out to 350-630 or so - plenty of light for SPS.

Jim
Old 11/13/2007, 08:53 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Go for 3 LBs on each side w/ 400s. Then maybe a DE 250 or DE 400 on each side of the overflow box. What?

OT but not: I'm interested in any lumenarcs anybody is selling.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/13/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

if these Lumen brights are what is claimed, I will have 2 available real soon.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:07 PM
Editor - Reefkeeping

Quote:
Originally posted by robsee06

I didn't know Acropora Nut was a dealer...wasn't he TOTM a couple of months ago? I thought TOTM was for personal tanks only.
Yes, as the previous poster mentioned, Mike was chosen long before he decided to open a business. It IS a personal tank, not a dealer's showroom tank. What's your point?
Old 11/13/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

CANAR can you post actual pics of your tank. This will help others and I get a better idea of your center overflow lighting dilema.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:53 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1249430