Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Tier Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Water quality vs lighting

Ok so if you had to make a choice between the lesser of these two which would you pick? Lesser light or water quality. I have a Nova extream 4 bulb fixtue which after reading grim reefers post seems to be underpowered for the SPS i have. They do encrust and are growing but maybe they would do better with more light. I have been saving for a RODI unit but now am torn between better lights or the RODI. And sense i value all of you guys and gals opinions here on STRS i thought i'd throw this out there for some. And yes Vince (fatrip) i allready have yours thanks.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

ohhh come on you dont want it again...lol...
Old 11/12/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the RO/DI first then if you feel the need upgrade the lighting.. some MH will work...
Old 11/12/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I want to stick with t-5s. But i suppose if a good deal did come along maybe MH's.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

If you had some really crappy lights, I'd say go with the lights... but if your corals are growing, then the lights are doing the job.

RO/DI.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

see...i told ya dave...lol...
Old 11/12/2007, 03:31 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

I think water quality needs to be the first consideration. The question I would ask is what water are you using now? If the water you are using now is good than it may be worth upgrading your lights since lighting is also very important to corals. However if the water you are using now is not good then the answer is clear, get the RO/DI. Determining if your water is good or not will be the hard part and it may end up being a judgment call on your part. Once you decide if your water is good then the answer is easy IMO…
Old 11/12/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

Ditto Nate and Stressed Damsel. Water quality should be the first consideration. Where is your water from. If its town water you can possibly inquire about water test results and parameters with the town. If its your own well, there are local companies (e.g., enviro-testing) that can test your water for disolved organics, heavy metals, disolved solids, etc. There will always be some pollutants that can eventually take their toll. Of course I don't have an RO/DI but i might just be lucky. Or my tank could crash tomorrow. So I would say get the RO/DI and ask Santa for the lights.
Old 11/13/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

yes if you were a good boy maybe Santa will bring the lights... lol
Old 11/13/2007, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

just had to jump in on this one, sorry.kinda in the same boat as Dave VG,but I am not worryed about my lighting, I have two fowlr tanks. but my thing is, my wife would be so mad at me for spending that much for a rodi filter, I would be out sleeping in the barn. so I get to use good old tap water. ya I could get filter water,at the lfs,but at 30 miles away,and the price of gas,no way. and my local wal-mart don't sell filter water. so I have been thing about one of these. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...84&pcatid=4484
mite be better than nothing.

Ron
Old 11/13/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Ya...get the RO/DI
Old 11/13/2007, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Speaking from experience those things are worthless... and need the filter to be chaged($24) ~every 100 gallons. You can get a 6 stage 125GPD system with a spare set of replacement filters from purewaterclub.com for $95... and from what I've heard and read they're decent.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

I got a nice RO/DI unit from e-bay for about $150. Here is a link that shows you all of their models...I think they are a good deal and way better than some of those crappy sink models.

http://search.ebay.com/Aqua-Safe_W0Q...Zm37QQfromZR40
Old 11/13/2007, 12:27 PM
Nature is my valium =)

Quote:
Originally posted by angelfishman145
just had to jump in on this one, sorry.kinda in the same boat as Dave VG,but I am not worryed about my lighting, I have two fowlr tanks. but my thing is, my wife would be so mad at me for spending that much for a rodi filter, I would be out sleeping in the barn. so I get to use good old tap water. ya I could get filter water,at the lfs,but at 30 miles away,and the price of gas,no way. and my local wal-mart don't sell filter water. so I have been thing about one of these. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...84&pcatid=4484
mite be better than nothing.

Ron
Just an FYI on this as I've attempted going that route... that ends up being more expensive. I bought one of those when I still had my 72 gallon bowfront and only used the tap filter for water topoff and still ended up having to buy a new cartridge once a month. After a few months it's cheaper to just buy an RO/DI unit. I found my Kent Maxima HiS 60gpd for about $120 total on ebay last year. I still wish I had just bought that from getgo instead of wasting my money on the tap water filter you linked to.

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 11/13/2007, 02:28 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

This looks like a good system...

$160.00 - OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm
Old 11/13/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nwrogers
This looks like a good system...

$160.00 - OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm
That's the one I have... I've been pretty happy with it.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:01 AM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by angelfishman145
... but my thing is, my wife would be so mad at me for spending that much for a rodi filter, ....
You just need to go a different angle. You can get a nice under the kitchen sink unit for about 150 at homedepot. They have a storage tank and an output that replaces the "spray thing" on the sink. Then the whole family gets better water - that way your just getting it so the wife and kids have the best possible water when ever they need it. She will taste the difference right away - esp if she likes tea.

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 11/14/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by laxing22
You just need to go a different angle. You can get a nice under the kitchen sink unit for about 150 at homedepot. They have a storage tank and an output that replaces the "spray thing" on the sink. Then the whole family gets better water - that way your just getting it so the wife and kids have the best possible water when ever they need it. She will taste the difference right away - esp if she likes tea.
Thats exactly how I explained it...better water for the family and we don't have to spend hundreds a year on spring water. It is saving you money in the long run
Old 11/14/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

My wife insisted that we get a large system for the house (for drinking and reefing) after researching the chemical contents of the water around here. I definately agree on the health angle.....
Old 11/14/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

For and RO/DI unit I am using the same one the zoo has. It is from Melves Reef. I'm very happy with it.

Regarding lighting. I thought the 4 bulb t-5 was working for you Dave. You stop by to see my 90 gal and that is all I have on my tank. I'm using Icecap reflectors. I do not know if you light system has them or not.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

They are working ok Paul. Things are growing and coloring up. But like everything, things can be improved upon. I have been reading a couple of very interesting treads about T-5’s and have learned a few things about them like overdriving bulbs using reflectors and bulb selection. Sense reading these threads I feel like my lighting is not optimal at this point. Lets face it, most of us are striving for tanks as nice as Nate’s, Jerry’s, geo’s and st.james just to mention a few. I want to spend my money where I think it will do the best for my tanks growth and color. This time it happens to be water quality vs lighting. At this point not having as much reef keeping experience as most of you here, I am unsure which one would be the best bang for my buck.