Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Wink Painting advice please!!!

Hey Loungers- I've got a simple and it seems to be a very trivial question in light of what's going on in our Lounge family . But this is something that I'm stumped on...

who here has color on their walls??? hubby and I have had white walls ever since we remodeled our home... We used to enjoy painting color- first apt we painted and loved it... when we bought our home we went nuts with the kids rooms... Josh had a red race car bed- we splattered his walls with dark blue paint~ Very cute!!! Lyssa had a the Cottage *house* bed and we splattered her walls a pretty pink ~Very cute!!!

we now are back to all white walls and light colored carpeting- well Lyssa talked her dad into some color in their bedroom... He went for it and she picked it out!!! can we say BRIGHT GREEN APPLE- all together now BRIGHT GREEN APPLE!!! I was up til' 1:30 a.m. going over a few of the spots that the roller missed- textured walls and you don't always get every little spot ... (she did it all herself- I worked on the edging with a brush!!!)

so now the question is: we want to do stripes on the main wall when your walking into their room- their beds are coming from this wall... HOW do I do the stripes??? we've got the tape... I know we've got to measure and such- we don't want it to be "perfect sized stripes" we are gonna mix it up a bit... she wants to do a couple diff colors...*pink-orange-purple* some crazy color, well anyone got any tips??? going to get ready then back here hopefully to find some advice ...

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 11/12/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I have no idea but I want pics when you're done

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 11/12/2007, 11:28 AM
Touch me...Love me

Laser level. You can get one that will project a straight line on the wall. Then use the tape to outline the laser light and just paint in between the tape.

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 11/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
I have no idea but I want pics when you're done

Gee thanks bunches Carrie ... now do you think I'd not post a photo of it finished??? c'mon now this is The Lounge anything goes in here to a point that is...

Quote:
Originally posted by shouldabenacowboy
Laser level. You can get one that will project a straight line on the wall. Then use the tape to outline the laser light and just paint in between the tape.

SBC

hubby just tried to borrow one but nobody has one- sooo I'm gonna go and buy one ...

Sooo how tough a project is this gonna be??? while I'm gone how about posting some photos of your own painted rooms... I think the living room will be the next one to get some paint ...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 11/12/2007, 12:09 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Christy,
When you say stripes, I'm envisioning vertical - up/down. Is that correct? Or are you talking about similar to my office -

Too old for women to care
Old 11/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Ok Christy you win.

My suggestion would be to do a bunch of different stripes with no set length or direction. More abstract than even horizontal or vertical strips. Do long and short, narrow and thick, different colors, all different directions.

Old 11/12/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

The nice thing about paint, Christy, is that if you don't like it, you can always just paint over it. My wife likes to do the vertical stripe thing. They sell masking tape now in all kinds of widths and adhesion levels. Experiment. That's what Mrs. Bat does. She drives me crazy because she will paint the same room three times until she likes it.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:08 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Without having to do a lot of measuring, Carrie's idea is probably a very good one otherwise you are probably going to have to start in the center and measure out from there for it to be uniform. I think different width stripes would be really cool, but than again, I'm here suggesting and you are there doing it, and it could end up really frustrating you! Although if you do try it, you can't hit me from there!

Melting!
Old 11/12/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
Christy,
When you say stripes, I'm envisioning vertical - up/down. Is that correct? Or are you talking about similar to my office -

Vertical stripes in varying widths- different colored...

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
Ok Christy you win.

My suggestion would be to do a bunch of different stripes with no set length or direction. More abstract than even horizontal or vertical strips. Do long and short, narrow and thick, different colors, all different directions.

- just different size vertical is what she's set on... she chose bright pink and a not so bright orange-but it's still a nice brighter color...

I bought a laser level from Home Depot it's a ryobi- I figure we'll get our use out of it b/c we'll be painting the living room when the tank comes down- it's either going or we're going to get another one but smaller...And pictures will need to be hung back up...

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
The nice thing about paint, Christy, is that if you don't like it, you can always just paint over it. My wife likes to do the vertical stripe thing. They sell masking tape now in all kinds of widths and adhesion levels. Experiment. That's what Mrs. Bat does. She drives me crazy because she will paint the same room three times until she likes it.

True- but wow at $25 a gallon for Valspar paint I'll try to get the right color the first time ... hubby is just about at the end of his rope as it is...

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fishy
Without having to do a lot of measuring, Carrie's idea is probably a very good one otherwise you are probably going to have to start in the center and measure out from there for it to be uniform. I think different width stripes would be really cool, but than again, I'm here suggesting and you are there doing it, and it could end up really frustrating you! Although if you do try it, you can't hit me from there!

lol- can I send it via a smiley??? well I'm off to check out the new toy and see how it works- hubby is on his way home, looks like this project is extended another day...

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 11/12/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Christy, you're going to love the lazer level. I use it to hang pics, drapes, line the garden with bricks (to make sure they're level), everything. And the painting is going to be a breeze. Just put the lazer level on the wall and run the tape down the red line. Or you can use a plumb line, but the lazer level will work just as well.

BTW, another fun paint is that chalkboard paint. It's a matt black paint but you can use chalk on it and it wipes right off. We did a big blotch on Colin's wall and he LOVES it. We're going to be repainting his room this year, but he requested that we put the chalk paint back up!
Old 11/12/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBimbo
Gee thanks bunches Carrie ... now do you think I'd not post a photo of it finished??? c'mon now this is The Lounge anything goes in here to a point that is...

hubby just tried to borrow one but nobody has one- sooo I'm gonna go and buy one ...

Sooo how tough a project is this gonna be??? while I'm gone how about posting some photos of your own painted rooms... I think the living room will be the next one to get some paint ...

Christy...
i suspect you will find it very difficult i did it with lasers and tape but it was not quite right.

sorry old flat so no pictures.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
Ok Christy you win.

has the added advantagethat you can say any imperfections are deliberate.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

A friend of mine put vertical stripes on their bedroom wall. He was an artist ans did it by hand. the really cool thing though was it was striped with the same color but one stripe was flat paint the other glossy. It was a subtle, but very cool effect
Old 11/12/2007, 03:26 PM
Cancer Sucks

It's not stripes, but here's the pattern on the dining room walls in the house we just bought.

It actually looks pretty good in person.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 11/12/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

That faux painting.

Old 11/12/2007, 03:47 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
That faux painting.
Nope, it's real paint.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 11/12/2007, 05:01 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

One way my wife and I found to do vertical stripes was to use different widths of painters tape. I don't know how perfect you want it, but that worked for us.

Oh yeah... couldn't have done it at all without the laser level.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I like that... hubby is up there finishing taping- lyssa is the stripe adviser ...

check back later...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 11/12/2007, 05:15 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

Hey, I had the same title!
Old 11/12/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elzool
Hey, I had the same title!

Really???

How did your painting go???

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 11/12/2007, 07:02 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
That's what Mrs. Bat does. She drives me crazy because she will paint the same room three times until she likes it.
hmmmm, is mrs bat the sister of mrs bart?

they paint the same way

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 11/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
She drives me crazy because she will paint the same room three times until she likes it.
Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
hmmmm, is mrs bat the sister of mrs bart?

they paint the same way
Amateurs!

I make hubby paint it until I like it

Old 11/12/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
Amateurs!

I make hubby paint it until I like it

rotflmao- he and lyssa taped and me and lyssa will do the colors...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 11/13/2007, 12:01 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Note to self.....

Don't get drunk and pass out at Crysty's house. It will be a VERY bad wake up call.
Old 11/13/2007, 12:42 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Well you've got the laser level now, which is better.

But another way is to tie a nail to a long string, tack the opposite tip of the string as the one tied to the nail at the top of where you want to paint and then the string will pull a straight line down the wall to mark with paint to get your stripes.

Good luck!