Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Question Info on White-Freckled Tang?

Hello. I am new to RC. A local reefer has a 5" White-Freckled Tang (Acanthurus Maculiceps) for 6 months that is for sale. I think this a rare fish in the aquarium trade. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? I would assume that it is reef safe as it is a tang. I think they can get rather large. I do already have a sailfin, hipo, yello and naso tangs in my 300 gal reef tank. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Shane
Old 11/07/2007, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

they are rather rare. But a hardy Acanthurus species. I would highly suggest getting it It will be fine with your current fish. The sailfin may bully it but other then that nothing else.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:46 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

I have had one for about a week and a half. I bought it from one of the online vendors. They told me that they are not the hardiest acanthurus but thus far he has been a trooper. I did notice that they can be suseptible to Crypto but it is getting over it nicely.
My speciman is also not a push over. It is around 3" and refuses to back down from the other tangs and even stood up to my big Sohal. It is becoming one of my favorite fish.

The TOTM from a few months ago has one in it so you could probably PM the owner and get his take as well.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/totm/index.php
Old 11/07/2007, 10:42 AM
Keeper of Tangs

They are quite rare, spot checks are great fish and all the ones I have seen or been around have been quite hardy fish.
Old 11/07/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I had one for a good period of time. I lost him when I moved my tank, I think due to a spike. ??? Was a great fish and would still have him today without the move. I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.
Old 11/07/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I had looked for one of those for 6 months with no luck, settled for a blue spotted kole tang. I really wanted the white spot but as everyone else has stated they are hard to find. It will be a great addition, I have a PBlue tang that is very docile, I suspect the spotted could be this way also.
Old 11/07/2007, 01:54 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Don't be surprised if they start becoming more readily available. These fish were once considered "throw away" tangs to distributors along with Dussumers, thompson's, and many other subtly colored species. I know there is currently an increased demand due to the Acropora Nut's TOTM a few months ago that highlighted one of these fish so hopefully the demand will trickle through the system and we can start seeing more for sale.
Old 11/07/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

i love the thompsons tangs!

The A. Maculiceps is found in many places but they are not a common fish anywhere. Maybe we will see some pop up more. They will be pricey though i bet!
Old 11/08/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

The thing I love the most of mine is his ability to change colors instantly. he will be jet black sometimes, or an olive green (as seen here), or the more typical Chestnut brown.
Old 11/08/2007, 02:00 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow hes gorgeous!!!
Old 11/08/2007, 04:26 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaneyapanda

The thing I love the most of mine is his ability to change colors instantly. he will be jet black sometimes, or an olive green (as seen here), or the more typical Chestnut brown.
I agree. They look sweet when they get the jet black lines. Mine is like a little mood ring.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:31 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaneyapanda

Wow, very nice specimen. How big is he? Looks pretty big!

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 11/08/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

That fish is beautiful, I can't wait until I have a large tank this fish will be definitely on my list. Dr. F&S had one awhile ago in the Divers Den for $300.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSaltwaterGuy
Wow, very nice specimen. How big is he? Looks pretty big!
ABout 8".
Old 11/09/2007, 04:04 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Is he aggressive? I'm thinking about getting one for my shark tank.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 11/10/2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Mine is not at all. Acroporanut told me his chastises his convict tang all the time, but mine is M-E-L-L-O-W. He just glides around lazily. I keep him with a yellow tang, chevron tang, and a pair of crosshatch triggers (plus a bunch of smaller fish).
Old 11/10/2007, 09:00 AM
Keeper of Sharks

Sounds like you've got a nice looking tank.

Thanks for the info.