Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Sick Clown Fish-Is anybody familiar with these symptoms

Hello,

I posted this same threat in the fish disease forum but I havn't had any response. I thought I might get more Clown Fish keepers looking here. Has anyone had any of these symptoms before and figured out how to treat them? Any help would be great.

I have two small true percula clown fish. I've had one for about a month and the other for about two weeks. So sign of any problems until a few days ago.

One has a very long (3") white stringy poop that won't break off. it just keeps getting longer. Both of their lips a puffy and they are not eating much. It appears from their gill movements that they are breathing fast and generally are lethargic compared to just a few days ago.

My water quality seems to be very good:

34G All in One with Fuge.
SG: 1.025
Ammoinia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3-5
Calcium: 400
Alk: 8 dkh
PH: 8.0
Water temp: 78.5 to 80
Cheato in sump is growing
All other fish appear healthy and are eating.
All CUC inverts appear healthy also.
Protein skimmer in use and producing dark green skum.

Does anybody know what the problem might be or if you can point me in the right direction as far as a general medication I can try. I really enjoy these fish and would hate to lose them.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11/05/2007, 11:52 PM
Enjoying Life

It sounds like an internal sickness of some kind. You want to start dosing their food with garlic, and them hopefully someone with experience with these digestive sicknesses will be able to give some insight on what they would recomend.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Get them in a QT. Drop SG to about 1.015 over the next few hours. They will be fine, no need to drop it over the period of few days. Up pH to 8.2.

Start using prazipro
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12098

and Maracyn2 saltwater at double dose.

Tomorrow you can drop SG further to get to 1.009.

Hatch some brine, do not use brine from LFS, as you might introduce even more parasites.
Old 11/07/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for the help and suggestions. I ran out today and bought everything I needed for a hospital tank. Sadly, one Clown died today and it appears the second one is close behind. I'm going to try and save him but it doesn't look good.

Mike
Old 11/07/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

get it into the quarentine tank filled with water from your tank and give it the maracyn 2 right away.

is it eatting? try to soak its food in the de worming medicine. make sure you have enough oxygen in the qt (a hang on back aquaclear or similar would be fine)
dont run carbon!

I wouldent worry about hypo right now. maybe a few notches just so it breathes easier.

heres a few links that should really help you.
I pulled this from one of them because im worried about you trying hypo and useing meds. you'll have to decide..

"DO NOT USE AN ELEVATED TEMPERATURE during treatment. DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER MEDICATIONS TO HYPOSALINE SALTWATER without knowing it is approved by the medicine manufacturer for use specifically during a hyposalinity treatment. When fish are in a hyposaline liquid, the effects of medicines and medications changes. Some meds become lethal"

heres some links

hyposalinity treatment:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine...treatment.html

worm infection link
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine...r-snooper.html

I dont really have a link for bacteria infections. just follow the directions on the box.

1 question though, did it always have stringy poop? because my clown had a bacteria infection and had stringy poop while it was sick.. but never had worms.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/07/2007, 08:27 PM
Slowly Stocking

I would assume that if Marina is suggesting to use those meds in Hypo that she's had success with them herself on more than one occasion.

However, the important thing is that you act quickly and get that clown in QT as soon as possible.

Best wishes, and sorry for your loss.

Check the red house.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

PraziPro has been a life saver in more than one occasion for internal parasites. Especially if the fish are not eating.