Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

red spiny lobster

ALrighty let me start with that I am A NOOB when comming to lobsters. I only have taken care of mantis shrimps and i dont know alot about lobsters. Anyways my father wants one and he wants me to ffind out info. So here are some questions.
Is it okay if I put it in a 34 gallon with 2 austrian clownfish, 2 cleaners, 1 clown goby, 1 purple tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 firefish, and hermits, and snails, and 2 brain coral, lots of other coral and 1 bubble anemone and 1 unknown anemone and oh ya 1 urchin. THat is all. Do you think a 1~2 inch red lobster live with them okay?
Old 11/06/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

No experience with a red spiny lobsters, but we had a purple reef lobster hack more than one fire fish in half. Just a heads up on that relationship... Otherwise, the purple reef has done no noticeable damage to anyone/thing else in the tank FWIW...

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” -Theodore Geisel
Old 11/27/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

i've had many caribean spinys (mostly because i use to live in st. thomas, usvi). one small, should be fine. i used to have a all invert tank bought 5 years ago with 3 arow crabs and 5 lobsters couple stone crabs and i deside to but 2 juvinile blue head wrasse in there that me and my friend caught. an one night i withnessed two lobsters form a cage with there legs and catch one of the fish, preaty unique to see the team work. so from since then ive only kept one in a tank with fish. and btw they grow FAST! they molt one a month while young

Tim
Old 11/28/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

oh and btw, if i were you i would get the blue spiney because they stay small. same thing just blue and white snears. they look like this, got him a couple weeks ago hes still in my QT.

Its funny im telling you how fast they molt and go out to take a pic so you can see the color vs the red spiney, an boom ive got to spinyes lol.

Tim

Last edited by tcgreaux; 11/28/2007 at 12:17 AM.