Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Huma huma, give the info please

just curious if anyone has one or has ever had one. I have had many types of triggers in the past but never one of these, just curious about temperment and difficulty to maintain.

thanks
Old 11/05/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I have, mine at a young age was already killing other fish. They can be very aggressive, similar to a clown triggerfish. Many consider it to be less aggressive than the clown trigger however.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:06 PM
Moved On

mine killed some mollies within 10 seconds of adding them, but when I added my eel it left him alone
Old 11/06/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Every fish of course being different, here's my experience in the 2.5yrs I've had mine...

Extremely slow growers! I'd gotten mine at a skinny 2.5" and up until now is a fat 4".

They eat like a horse, and as if it's they're last meal. They'll over eat if you let them so when they're belly if full stop feeding.

I think these guys were specifically designed for killing inverts, their long snout and flat mouth enables them to get inside hermit shells easily.

Sufficent feedings are necessary, with mine if under fed he pouts and starts harrassing tankmates, no violence but will kick tankmates out've their space and buzz around them making them uncomfortable.

They'll in time try to establish a pecking order, to weaker small submissive fish he's ok cause he thinks he's the man. To dominant fish he shows respect and keeps his space. But for some reason he's got the little big man syndrome with my Tusk that's 3" longer than him. As soon as he figured out this bigger fish is scared of him he tries to flex his muscle when he feels like it. No biting, but will snap his jaws during feeding if the tusk gets too close, and makes sure when the lights go out the Tusk doesn't leave it's space. He'll patrol the tank for about an hour then finally hit the hay.

HTH
Old 11/06/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I have one, and I love it. Very bold and inquisitive when someone comes up to the tank, and I have seen no aggression towards the other tank mates. He actually has become good friends with my midas blenny, and they usually swim around the top of the tank together. He doesn't even snap at other fish during feeding time.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

i have had mines for about a year and he is great...does not mess with any other fishes in my tank (tangs, chromis, eels, clowns, flame angel) he eats like crazy and always has a big belly...LoL sometimes snaps at other fishes but does not bite them when i put some nori in the tank...only thing i hate about him is he picks up a lot of sand and spits them out onto my live rock
Old 11/07/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Mine left his tankmates alone - he was only interested in getting fed. I found I needed to be careful when I was working in the tank, though - he'd come up and bite my arm. Worst thing about that though, was that when he started biting me, a Niger tankmate who up until then was completely docile towards me, started biting my arm as well. He apparently wasn't going to let a potential meal pass him by either ....

-jim
Old 11/07/2007, 09:16 PM
Keeper of Sharks

I had one a while back. He was only about 2, maybe 3" long and had the worst attitude you'd ever see. I added about 100 hermits and snails, and within 10 minutes, half of them were dead.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 11/07/2007, 09:41 PM
Moved On

I think mine's rearing up to be like yours Chad

he definitely owns the tank and knows it (although he's the only fish besides the eel)
Old 11/07/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

I had one about 1", very small, didn't pick at any snails or hermits. I had him with a tomato clown and 2 damsels, everything got along fine, but this was all in a 125g, for 4 fish that were all about 1" long with 200lbs of LR, haha.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Picasso's/HumuHumu and Niger's are SUPPOSED to be the more peaceful Triggers... but for a Trigger, that's not always entirely peaceful.

Bob Fenner had indicated that as far as Triggers go, you have:

Picasso's<------------- all other Triggers -------------> Clowns

Two opposite ends of the spectrum.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:41 PM
Moved On

oh man, my picasso did not get that memo ^^^^^^
Old 11/09/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I had one that was about 10 inches in length and was about 6 years old. He got along well with my Niger trigger, Blue spot grouper. But if you put any type of smaller fish in the tank they were food not only for the Huma, but for the Niger and the grouper. Otherwise I was actually able to hand feed mine, as well as basically pet the fish.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:04 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

I've had a 2" picasso for about a month now. So far it has been minding its own business...although it is the smallest fish in the tank.

It eats raw shrimp out of my hand and now recognizes me when I walk up to the tank. Cool fish. Seems to be very intelligent (for a fish anyway).
Old 11/09/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

My little guy is fiesty- not even 2" yet but gets around my 210g 8ft tank just a well as the big guys in the tank.
Old 11/09/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Blown 346 how big did you purchase yours, and how long did it take to get to 10"?
Old 11/09/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I purchased mine when it was about 3 to 4 inches. It took almost 4 years for it to grow to that size.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

I have a huma with a niger, a lunar wrasse, yellow tang, powder blue tang, a porcupine puffer, spotted hawk, spotted grouper,a volitan lionfish,and. blue damsel. I have never had a problem with much aggression from any of them (two years now). The huma huma spends most of his time on one side of the tank, swimming back and forth looking at his reflection. There are a few snails that hitch hiked on rock and they have never been messed with.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I just put a 3" picasso in my 75g FOWlr. He is the only fish in it right now, I was going to add an eel, but think I should have done that first. He's been in the tank for 2 days and man he has an attitude! He follows you around the tank daring you to put your finger in. Then he attacks the #$$$ out of you!. He bit my dad 3x. I think he may end up being the only fish in there, I think if I put an eel in, it will end up an expensive snack. Seriously this fish makes piranha look like pu$$ies. AGGRESSIVE!
Old 11/10/2007, 11:06 AM
Moved On

chirojosh - I was fearing the same, but the people on here made some good suggestions for when I added my eel

here is what I did
1. acclimate eel as per normal
2. feed picasso
3. turn lights off
4. put eel in tank away from trigger
5. leave lights off for rest of night until normal time tomorrow
6. success

PS: where do you practice?
Old 11/13/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chirojosh
I just put a 3" picasso in my 75g FOWlr. He is the only fish in it right now, I was going to add an eel, but think I should have done that first. He's been in the tank for 2 days and man he has an attitude! He follows you around the tank daring you to put your finger in. Then he attacks the #$$$ out of you!. He bit my dad 3x. I think he may end up being the only fish in there, I think if I put an eel in, it will end up an expensive snack. Seriously this fish makes piranha look like pu$$ies. AGGRESSIVE!
i feel you on that bro...my trigger bites me on a constant basis whenever i stick my hand or fingers into the tank...mines has some crazy teeth as i can hear him clanking his teeth together when he eats...i have a snowflake and a ribbon eel in my tank and they are doing fine...dont think you will have a problem