Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Essay on the effect of the aquarium trade on coral reefs

Hello, I am a junior in college studying marine biology and ecology at Kobenhavn University. I am writing a paper on the effects of the aquarium trade on coral reefs, with a focus on Europe. If anyone knows any sources to look for, or where to find more information, that would be great. As an avid aquarist and diver, I am hoping to be very unbiased in my report.

Thanks!
Old 11/03/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

scientific journals through whatever subscriptions your school has, they're too expensive otherwise. and i don't know about you but my profs hate it when students get information off the internet.
Old 11/04/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanks useskaforevil, I am predominantly looking at scientific journals through the extensive online collection my school has. Its a great resource. My profs hate all internet resources that aren't from a journal too. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a specific resource or article on the topic. I should mention I am talking about the collection of fish, rather than say, invasive species.

Thanks
Old 11/04/2007, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Why not Google for marine biologists in your area? I'm thinking they could be a great resource.
Old 11/04/2007, 03:57 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Here's probably the best resource on the topic. Be cautious though, since even the authors admit that some of the numbers used are questionable due to poor data.
http://www.unep.org/PDF/From_Ocean_T...ium_report.pdf

Also try to find this book, which is more about exploitation of the reef in general, but is a great resource IMO.
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fisheries...4209802&sr=8-1
Old 11/14/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

wow great resources. I really think the first one is a must read for anyone who is a reefer! its the best summation of journals I have found yet. Really worth a look. Please let me know if anyone has anything else that may help. I will send the essay when completed to anyone interested.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LekicINC
wow great resources. I really think the first one is a must read for anyone who is a reefer! its the best summation of journals I have found yet. Really worth a look. Please let me know if anyone has anything else that may help. I will send the essay when completed to anyone interested.
That would be awesome
Old 11/14/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

You might try
http://scholar.google.com/
to find a list of resources as well. Results sometimes require a subscription of some kind or another, but they may provide a trail you could follow up on with school resources.

Cheers,
Ray (who's spent a major portion of his life the past four years writing research papers, and is finally (!) in his dissertation phase)
Old 11/14/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

www.coralreef.gov is a good start, i am currently writing a series of essays on the same thing. also, www.sciencedaily.com has some good articles
Old 11/14/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Here's probably the best resource on the topic. Be cautious though, since even the authors admit that some of the numbers used are questionable due to poor data.
http://www.unep.org/PDF/From_Ocean_T...ium_report.pdf

Also try to find this book, which is more about exploitation of the reef in general, but is a great resource IMO.
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fisheries...4209802&sr=8-1
yeah, be very careful what you take in from the UNEP report. Don't walk away thinking they use dynamite to collect MO species

FWIW I can put you in contact with some leading people on the subject, just email me thru my email link.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I think Charles Delbeek or Eric Borenman (sp?) might have done some papers a while back. I'm pretty sure both are pretty easy to contact - Charles is at the Waikiki aquarium and is active on some board as well - maybe advancedaquarist.com (something like that anyway)

Maybe call ORA - a large aquaculture place?

Large aquariums like the Monterey Bay aquarium might have a good contact/info?

Check out or contact www.aquariumcouncil.org as well

maybe even www.cites.org - but they're probably too large to have any focused info on our trade or impact on reefs.

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/14/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

i just got about a dozen more today for my paper....i will post em when i can get my comp
Old 11/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

also - pls post your paper if you can! I'd be very interested in seeing your findings but I understand it can be difficult... as a recent grad myself, our professors "owned" all of our papers/research which I think isn't fair. Someone did some digging and found that one of the professors used like 80%+ of their paper as their own work even!

I'm also interested b/c I'm trying to make a predominantly aquacultured tank and use captive bred fish... but this is limiting so I'd like to know of a few species that would be "less" detrimental to the reefs.

good luck!

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/14/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

For species less detrimental to the reefs check out MOFIB - www.marinebreeder.org as well as Poject DIBS www.projectDIBS.com