Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Boiling over Skimmer/Power outage!!!

So I have a ER100 in a 90g show 15g sump and a 10g refug. The sump is a open 15g tank with rock skimmer pumps. The rfuge is a open 10g that is drilled and flows to the sump. When ever my power gos out and then back on my skimmer boils over and all the *#$! Gos back in the tank. No matter where I have it adjusted to is still dose it. Im sick of when my power blinks out for 1 min and my skimmer dumps on me and im not there to get it first. What Are people doing to prevent this. I was thinking af using a electric float switch. So it turns off if water level rises so that way when power gos out and sump fills it wont turn on till the water level comes back down first. Im I over thinking and complicating this? Im good at making things harder then they should be. (just ask the wife.) Someone please give me a easy fix. Without a a lot of cost.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Never experienced that myself but I have my skimmer external to the sump so water level is not an issue.
What about a simple check valve in the return line?
So that your sump never fills up when the power goes out.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

is it when the power comes back on that the water level in the skimmer is higher then normal and overflows the skimmer?
Old 11/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Correct Reefer, Its when the power comes back on that it happens, because the sump level has a high watter level and the skimmer fillsfast so it just dumps its #%*! over. A check valve is already on the return lines its just the amount that drains off the top of the tank to the bottom of the over flow that fills the sump. Even though it only fills about 4-5 inch higher its enough that when the power returns that it over flows.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

thats a real tough one to solve, i had that problem when my skimmer was installed at the same level as my sump. I fixed that problem by moving my skimmer above my sump ( i have a equipemnt room) but i assume you dont have that option. Can you tap in a outlet on the cup and run it to a waste collector? thats about the only option i see besides lowering the water level in the sump.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I thought of that but it would be a lot of drainage. That is why im looking at a float switch the ones run top off pumps and keep pumps from running dry. I have one on my top off pump it works well, I just thought someone would have a super easy fix for me.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I wish I had the room but Im staped for room. like all of us with under tank sumps. Thanks for you input
Old 11/01/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to use a power on delay timer like the one for M/H

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?m=d&sku=HLC103

this will give you a 15 minute delay on your power for the skimmer.

Last edited by OliverM3; 11/01/2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

this is not a easier fix, but if you had a larger sump with more surface area the water rising wouldnt be as extreme as a thin tall sump if you know what i mean.

using a float valve in the existing sump with auto top off or somehting would be the easiest way to control the level in the sump.. if not, why can you just drop the sump level by a few inches? are the pumps that close to the surface now?
Old 11/01/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

I can drop it maybe an inch, I think the way I will go is with a float valve so as long as it is floating the skimmer pump cant turn on but when the float valve is left hanging out of the water the skimmer will run, can do that for about 35.00 vrs the timmer at 350.00 Yeah I thought of trying to do a wider sump but cant make it happen.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

The way I'm reading this is that your skimate cup overflowith. If that's the case you should install a drain fitting and hose to a collection jug. At any one time the most that can drain would probably be a cup or so. Once the main pump pulls the water level down in the sump the skimmer should return to normal.