Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

240 starphire for sale

I have a brand new 8' 240 gallon starphire on 3 sides for sale. Only filled for about a week with ro/di water. The aquarium was made by glasscages. I bought this and soon discovered a small crack/chip in one of the corners. I have ordered another one from glasscages and need to get rid of this one. It is set up as a penninsula with a single overflow on one end. I have about $1400 invested in this and will sell for $600. The 2 long faces and 1 short side are starphire.

The crack did expand when adding water but has not moved since. It does not leak and will "probably" be ok for someone willing to chance. Obviously I'm not willing to take the chance. If you can probably fix the tank by reinforcing the corner very easily but for my application the corner will be visible and not attractive.

See what you think and look at my gallery pictures of the tank.
pm me if interested in more pictures or coming over to look at it. I'm in Decatur
Old 10/31/2007, 02:18 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

Well if Glasscages is going to replace it....then why not donate the tank to some High School biology teacher for a Reptile or Amphibian display ! That could also be a tax deduction !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 10/31/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Thats a great thought but they are not replacing it "free of charge". I will still need to pay for little more than half of original value.

If I can't sell it I will consider that though instead of breaking it apart. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:45 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

WAIT A FREAKIN' MINUTE ! You find a flaw in the manufacture of the tank and they won't replace it ???

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 11/01/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Your exactly right!
I signed for the tank and accepted it. I looked at it but not close enough. From their truck I loaded it on a specially made frame that I made and then it sat in my house for a couple weeks while the stand was being made.
One of the biggest complaints about glasscages as you will find is what many refer to as "sloppy silicone". The tank looked pretty good to me but when I looked at it closer and what I originally thought was "sloppy silicone" was acually a chip or crack underneath the black trim.
Glasscages said I should have not accepted the tank if it was cracked and they said that I must have dropped it. I know the tank was never dropped. They sent me a couple pieces of glass to help fix the problem. I then put the tank on my stand and filled it with water. The crack expanded slightly as you can see in the pictures.

I would guess that the crack will not get any bigger and I still have water in the tank with no leaks. I'm not trying to in any way guarantee or "sell" this tank like its perfect. I think that someone could fix the tank and use it with confidence. I want the tank to be a showpiece in my house with all sides exposed. In order to fix the problem someone would probaly need to reinforce one of the short sides or just leave it and take the chance.

I'm not saying that I made the best decision in "buying" another one but its much cheaper than attempting to prove my point in court. Besides how can I prove that the crack was already there?
Old 11/01/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

unfortunately this sounds like the typical glasscages experience when it comes to issues and customer service. you're not the first in the area to have such luck.

sorry about your experience.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

So is the chip only the outside of the tank? Does it go to the inside at all. I can't really tell by the pics.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

No the chip does not go to the inside of the tank at all. I would guess there to be about 1/4" of glass beyond the chip before it is exposed directly to water pressure. The starphire is 1/2". I have used silicone to secure the glass blocks beyond the chip.

Keep in mind that the chip is on the very end of the 8 foot piece not the 2 foot piece. The joint of the 24" piece is completlely intact and stable. The bottom glass is 3/4" with nothing wrong at all, no crack no chip.

If you want more pictures I can send them to you from whatever angle you want.

Hope that helps
Old 11/01/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

pm sent for pictures
Old 11/02/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I had a chip like that on my old tank. When I was moving my new 800G tank after building it, it slid sideways and crashed into my 125G tank full of water. The 800G tank weigh is around 1500lbs. It moved the 125G tank 1/4" on the stand, chipped the glass but did not break it.
My point here is I don't think I would worry too much about a the chip. I think who ever buys the tank for $600 will be getting a great deal. The water pressure on that small chip is so very small. Some where I have a spread sheet that calculates the PSI for different tank depths. It will turn out to be very little for a small chip like that.
Just my $.02
Old 11/02/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I agree- the only thing these chips usually do is weaken it against future blows. I have seen many tanks with chips all the way to the silicone that still held up. Never know though- but if your buying it for half price- which is what the manufacturers guarantee covers obviously- then if it breaks your out no more than if it was new!
Old 11/02/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
...if it breaks your out no more than if it was new!
nevermind the livestock...

Old 11/02/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Or the floor- but hey!
Old 11/02/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

240 gallons all at one time is gonna do more than destroy the floor. I wouldnt chance it with a tank that large. The water presure (psi) on that spot is low but the glass is also holding the water presure of the entire 8ft. length. They use 1/2" glass for a reason. What is the chance you can send them the tank & have the panel replaced?

The PSI is the same at the bottom of an 2ft. tall 500 gallon tank as it is a 2ft. tall 20 gallon tank. Fresh water is 0.43 psi per foot & sea water is about 0.44 psi per foot(going by memory but its close)
Old 11/02/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

They are not willing to fix the panel. I have already ordered a new one to be delivered. I'm hoping to sell this one to help recover some the of cost of the new one. The manufactuer, Glasscages, is not the easiest of people to deal with.
Everything else about the tank is fine, thats why I don't mind buying another one from them. They can kinda be like the soup nazi. I hope they don't see this.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftank21
The manufactuer, Glasscages, is not the easiest of people to deal with.
Everything else about the tank is fine, thats why I don't mind buying another one from them. They can kinda be like the soup nazi. I hope they don't see this.
I know what you mean, I have one of their tanks not yet setup. They drilled some holes in the wrong place but still workable so I didnt make a big deal out of it. Just seemed like they didnt want to even take my order in the first place.
Old 11/03/2007, 08:57 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftank21
They are not willing to fix the panel. I have already ordered a new one to be delivered.
......The manufactuer, Glasscages, is not the easiest of people to deal with.
Well I would certainly hope they see this.
I would hope that everyone would see this!
They need to know that potential customers are judging them, based on these experiences. And yours is just one more negative experience I've read about this outfit on the pages of RC. I know that I've read enough negativity about them that I would never trade with them.

But I'm puzzled why you are spending your money again with such an ornery company. Unless it's part of the refund deal.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Because eventhough the tank has this problem everything else is great. And a value.?? Still is less than I would spend including shipping from other places. If I can sell this tank then I'm only out a couple hundred dollars from what the replacement tank is costing. I can accept that.

Either this tank is a complete loss and I pay full price for another tank from someone else, at double the price, or I purchase another from glasscages, for a discount and sell the current. It's a risk but I willing to take it. I'm out either way but I just want to move on.

And I know what I'm getting on the next tank. I have already routed equipment to the dimensions of this tank. That can be changed easily I know.

I think glasscages does get a bad rap from their customer service but the tank is quality other than this.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:02 PM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Well I only hope that something doesn't go wrong with the new one after you've signed off on delivery. If something does, I believe you may be left holding the bag - once again. I certainly wish you the best of luck with your new tank.
Old 11/04/2007, 06:34 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

I will recommend a MAGNIFYING GLASS to inspect the new tank !

Old 11/16/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

pmed